This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp. rent, utility asst. for deceased's caretaker? Indiana

I have been caring for my mother since 1990.
    She passed away unexpectantly 7/31/2010.
    I have been living with her as her caretaker.
    She was on Section 8, receiving rent assistance.
    Having been laid off 8 weeks ago, and with her passing, I am now heart broken, without an income and no money to keep the house for even 2 months so I can take care of everything (her arrangements, gathering and dispersing belongings to siblings, finding out where I will be going, etc.)!
    Is there anywhere I can look for assistance with rent and utilities for 3 months or so, just to give me time to get my bearings?
    I live in Hamilton County, in Indiana.
    Thank you so much for any help.

Do you get unemployment ins. since you have been laid off? Did your Mother have no estate & no will?

You might talk to the United Way agcy. in your area for help/suggestions.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you Betty

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      Do you get unemployment ins. since you have been laid off? Did your Mother have no estate & no will?

You might talk to the United Way agcy. in your area for help/suggestions.
      Betty, I receive $115.00 a week in Unemployment, and I will receive that for 10 weeks (5 more weeks).

And when you are poor, what Estate is there? What would a will show?
      There is no money. My mom worked for 30 years, got injured and then too sick to work, and was receiving $600.00 a month in SSI, plus rent assistance.

If I had not lived with her as a caretaker, she would have had nothing resembling a life.

I will look into United Way. Thank you, I do appreciate the suggestion.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I understand.

I would go ahead & look into United Way - they have referrals to many other agencies
        also.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you

I glanced at United Way.
          Like most places, it seems geared toward women with children, disabled and minorities.
          I will look more at them soon, I am still in shock and can barely read or comprehend anything.
          Any other suggestions?
          Thank you so much.
          Andy Simmons, Noblesville, IN

Comment

I would contact the United Way & see if they can be of help - they help anyone that they can. They have many agencies they can refer people to. You can try social services & churches also.

Good luck to you.

Comment

I do appreciate your assistance.

I have contacted several people, and am still waiting to hear back from anyone.

Comment

Thank you for the up date. I hope you are able to get some assistance.

Comment

If you are a member of a church, I suggest that you also contact your pastor. In searching "Noblesville charity" on Google, I see a number of organizations such as Third Phase and Hamilton County Community Action. Finally, there are national charities with programs in the Indianapolis area such as Catholic Charities.
                  David K. Staub (www.illinoisbusinessattorney.com)
                  Forum posts are not legal advice, are for informational and educational purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with legal counsel.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X