Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

No will in NY what resposibiities do I have $wize? New York

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
    Senior Member

  • Marketeer
    If a will has not been located and filed for probate, then someone should step forward and asked to be named as the administrator of the estate. (If you leave a will, you name your executor/executrix in it. If you don't leave a will, then the state appoints an administrator.) That person is then responsible for paying the just debts of the deceased out of estate funds and distributing what's left over per your state's intestacy laws (the formula set in law for distributing assets when there is no will). If your father was unmarried at the time of his death, presumably his three children would split evenly.

    Leave a comment:

  • farmatty
    Junior Member

  • No will in NY what resposibiities do I have $wize? New York

    My dad died in NY w/ no will found, but my sister insists he told her she was the executrix (honestly don't think he knew what that meant). My sister has taken over everything, even the ashes. Won't tell her plan for the only assets, his paid off house. But she keeps asking me to pay the taxes on my deceased dad house. Why do I have to pay these taxes? What if she just plans on keeping the house and renting it out. Isn't it supposed to be split between the 3 kids. Why am I supposed to be paying a good chunk of change on the taxes? It's been 5 months and she shows no indication of letting me in on her plans. What should I do?
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.