This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Died, No Will in Michigan

My father passed away 09/04/08. I am trying to sort my way through what is needed to settle his estate, such as it is. I am thinking that a 'Small Estate' filling should do as I'm sure the value is Well below the limits for this filling but I am unclear how this gives one access to his bank accounts. Or do I need to go through something like an 'Informal Proceedings' to become the 'Personal Rep.' for this estate?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated as I'm afraid the entire estate may not even cover the funeral expenses let alone cover attorney fees.

In Michigan, probate administration is under the jurisdiction of the probate court, which is generally organized along county lines. A petition to admit a will to probate, or a petition for the administration of the estate of a person who died intestate (w/o a will), should be filed in the probate court in the county in which the person resided at the time of his or her death.

If the total assets of the deceased are less than $18,000 (in 2005), a simple procedure called a small estate proceeding is available at the probate court. The amount may have increased since 2005 (info I have) - you can ask the court clerk.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

small estate

Thank you for the response. I am sure that his estate will be well below the $18,000.00 limit and have found several sources of the forms for filing this. The part that I am unclear of now is will this give me the access that I need to get into any bank accounts or other financial accounts that he may have?
      I dotn mean to be to pushy on this and I love the information that is being made available to people but I have been unable to find a clear answer on this, or one that is clear to me.
      Again I'd like to thank you in advance for any information or clearification that I might receive.

Comment

A small estate proceeding is something that a non-attorney can usually handle on their own. Court Form PC 556 is used in Mi. to transfer the assets to the individual who paid funeral expenses, then to the surviving spouse or heirs. You can call the Legal Hotline for help with this process. The court clerk can also help you with the required forms, process, etc.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X