This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing Out Estate In NY New York

My mother died in 2002 and after 2-1/2 years of acrimonious litigation, the estate was finally probated by the Appellate Court after a unanimous decision to grant me Summary Judgment (which should have been granted the first time I applied to Surrogate's Court, but that's another story.) Our firm, however, after doing a horrifically inept job and costing us many $ and untold aggravation, has basically decided they will do nothing further for us, even though they benefited handsomely from their ineptitude, and even though it's a simple task.

I am the executor, but have no idea how to close out this estate. I am the only heir at this point, and can write myself a check. But I won't do so until I can immediately have the books closed on the estate. Can someone please help by letting me know how to have probate closed? I am in FL and the estate is in NY. I do not live there, obviously, so know of no way to convince a lawyer (WHAT lawyer, even - I don't know any lawyers in the area, and am loath to trust them now!) to take this on for the simple matter of routine closure.

Is there any way I can do this myself? Filing the taxes every single year is a chore, and I would like it over and done with. I have still not taken any money in all this time - going on 6 years. The legal fees so far have been ruinous - upwards of $100K, so I'm not enamored with the idea of having to deal with another attorney regarding such a simple matter.

I know it's probably a matter of filing a form, but although I have researched this on the web, I can find no such form. Can anyone help? I will be more grateful than I can possibly convey.
    Last edited by baricat; 01-29-2008, 08:46 AM.

Call the NY Surrogate's Court and ask them to send you the form. File a final tax return. Write yourself a check. Close bank account. End of story.

Comment

That's IT???

Can you tell me if you're a practicing probate attorney in NY State? I'm certainly not meaning any disrespect to you, but it would help me to know if you have the experience for giving this advice. I had no idea it would be that simple. I sure hope you're right. Thank you for responding, in any case. I had just about given up hope of hearing anything on this matter.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X