This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deceased bank account - confused!? New Jersey

my mother passed away with no will. I have an older brother who needs the lil bit of money that is in her bank account. I heard to become executor of the estate you have to go thru court & lawyers & all those fees. is there an easier way to just get a short certificate so my brother can go to the bank and withdraw the funds. any replies would be appreciated. thank.

Originally posted by xxkendall View Post
    my mother passed away with no will. I have an older brother who needs the lil bit of money that is in her bank account. I heard to become executor of the estate you have to go thru court & lawyers & all those fees. is there an easier way to just get a short certificate so my brother can go to the bank and withdraw the funds. any replies would be appreciated. thank.
    No. Why? Because that money is earmarked for the bills that your deceased brother left behind. Since your brother left no will, that bank account, without a beneficiary, will NOT pass outside of the estate. Open probate. Sorry about your loss.

By the way, you don't necessarily need a lawyer, but this isn't something that will be completed in a short time period.
    Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

Mo - it was the mother who passed away not the brother.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
        Mo - it was the mother who passed away not the brother.
        Oops. Thanks for the catch. Sorry, OP.
        Please no private messages about your situation.

Comment

thanks for the replies. i think i might just go thru with the probate process..

Comment

Originally posted by xxkendall View Post
            thanks for the replies. i think i might just go thru with the probate process..
            Ask the probate clerk if there is a summary probate or small estates or whatever. It's called different things in different places.
            “Be not niggardly of what costs thee nothing, as courtesy, counsel, & countenance.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X