This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt responsibility New York

My father passed away in November of 2007. He had three annuity accounts, all with the same company, a savings and a checking account. I was the only son, and was named as the sole beneficiary on all accounts. There are no other assets. Am I therefore liable to pay his credit card debt?

Originally posted by Rider68 View Post
    My father passed away in November of 2007. He had three annuity accounts, all with the same company, a savings and a checking account. I was the only son, and was named as the sole beneficiary on all accounts. There are no other assets. Am I therefore liable to pay his credit card debt?
    No, you are not responsible for your father's credit card debt. If there were any assets to probate, his estate would have to pay the debt. If all the accts. you are beneficiary on were set up to pass outside the estate (outside of probate) directly to you, then the creditors cannot touch them.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X