This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding ticket in California

My first speeding ticket. Traveling West at 8 am on a 25 mph residential Road in Alameda County and when I went by an intersection, on my right side, I saw a police motorcycle, 100 ft. off the main road, immediately, he started following me. The officer gave me a 40 mph speeding ticket. I am wondering what the process is, if I would like to contest it?

My defense is the following: The officer is pointing the radar South, and as traffic traffic moves West and East by this intersection, he may have gotten the wrong car or wrong reading.

The officer gave me a court date and time. Do I go to my court date?
    Should I call the Courthouse first?
    Call a lawyer, or handle it by myself?

Your advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks,

If you received a court date & time, you need to go.

You can contest the ticket yourself or you can talk to a traffic law attorney & see what he/she might be able to do for you.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

How fast WERE you going?
      I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I am not sure; because when I saw the officer and heard the sirens, I was focusing on a safe place to stop and looked around to see if he was following someone else; also, my marking on the speedometer go from 20-40 and lines in between; consequently, I did not capture a visual exact number. However, when I took the right to enter the road, up till the officer ticketed me, there was no speed sign. I drove by there again and the sign is before; consequently, the 25 mph speed sign can't not be seen from where I entered this road.

Thank you.

Comment

You do need to go to court on the date & time assigned.

You can contest the ticket with or without the help of a lawyer. (& see what the judge decides)
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

"Adult Courtesy Notice"

OK, I got an "Adult Courtesy Notice" for Unsafe Speed. I must clear this citation before due date 9/4/13 By: Pay $230. Or Walk-in court.
            On the "Adult Courtesy Notice" they give me a few choices: Traffic School, Trial by Written Declaration, Correspondence or Court Trial.

I would like to Walk-in court and try for a plea bargain…plead not guilty and try to work something out?
            Can I barter down the top speed, reduce violation or, better, have it changed to a nonmoving violation to keep it off your insurance?
            Can I just negotiate to just pay the ticket & no points?
            Should I plead guilty, but to a lesser charge?

What should be my bargaining point?
            Thanks!

Comment

You might want to get the help of a traffic law attorney. They should be able to help you re getting the "best deal" possible.

Comment

Were you in Alameda (city)? If so, you're SOL. Almost the whole island is 25mph. Otherwise, go to your local library and ask the reference librarian for the Nolo Press book on fighting your traffic ticket. It will explain how you can handle this yourself. An attorney would charge you more than the fine to fix this.
                I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

You can fight it yourself but an attorney can sometimes do more for you/get a better deal for you than you can yourself & some people just prefer the help of an attorney.

If you fight it yourself, a Nolo book would be the way to go.

Comment

Having lived there, I can say the whole town is worse than living in the Ozarks. Be glad you did not play your music too loud in front of the mayors condo. (I saw a kid get a $500 fine on that one.) Talk to the PA in the day you need to appear, and he will cut a deal with you. Money talks in that town.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X