Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speeding ticket in PA - discrepancies on the ticket Pennsylvania

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Speeding ticket in PA - discrepancies on the ticket Pennsylvania

    Hi all,
    Just recently I was pulled over and issued a speeding ticket.
    It appears that a Robic device was used to time the distance.
    I was traveling on US 1 at around 9:10pm in Bensalem PA, and it was dark.
    Cop pulled me over and told me I was traveling at 74 MPH and allowed speed was 55 MPH.
    After reviewing the ticket I observed the following:
    24. Charge: Maximum Speed Limit is checked.
    25. Nature Of Offense: Speeding not checked but says 74mph , allowed 55 mph, Other not checked but wrote "Robic"
    26. Statute checked PA40, section 3362 sub Sec A-2

    He wrote down the Speed equipment serial as BT30, station it was tested at and the date it was tested on, which was 2 weeks prior i was pulled over.
    He also wrote Miles timed:0.037 and Secs. timed:1.19

    Now I am not sure if my math is wrong but according to miles and secs. timed i should have been traveling at 112MPH and not 74MPH.
    I would like to know if there is any way I can beat this ticket without an attorney. Can I argue about the discrepancies on the ticket, time of day, distance measured or equipment?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    The only thing you can do is try.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      The only thing you can do is try.
      Yes, that is my intention.
      I would like to know if there are any case laws or any supporting information that I could use to help me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Das ist in der Doktor!

        Originally Posted by kolya Yes, that is my intention.
        I would like to know if there are any case laws or any supporting information that I could use to help me.
        Help you what, get out of a ticket you deserved to get?
        aaah, I don't see that happening, not here anyway.
        Oh, you may find web sites full of people who will tell you how to get off on a technicality, and you will find plenty of Attorneys who will try and get you off on a technicality, for a price.
        The long and the short of it is,
        you were either speeding or you were not,
        and due to the fact that you are here would suggest that you were.
        The only way you might have a real shot at getting off would be if,
        the issuing officer got,
        the name wrong,
        and,
        the address is wrong,
        and,
        the tag number is wrong,
        and,
        the date and location is wrong.
        In fact, the best way I can think of for getting off would be if you hadn't been there at all,
        and speeding in the first place.

        Please feel free to disregard anything I've said,
        and by all means, go to court and flail away, it's your right to do so.
        You might get lucky and the cop not show up, but keep in mind thats no guaranteed get out of jail card, you may still have to deal with the Judge, and as long as he has the ticket to look at you could be dead meat.

        Oh, and back to your question,


        I would like to know if there are any case laws or any supporting information that I could use to help me

        I'm sure there is, but it's your ticket and your neck that's
        in the noose not mine, you do the homework.
        Good Luck in court.

        .._______________
        ~ Nothing is foolproof,
        to a sufficiently motivated fool.~ Benjamin Franklin
        drruthless
        Senior Member
        Last edited by drruthless; 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kolya View Post
          Yes, that is my intention.
          I would like to know if there are any case laws or any supporting information that I could use to help me.
          I don't know of any "case laws" but you can do a google search to see if you can find any court cases.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

          Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by drruthless View Post
            Help you what, get out of a ticket you deserved to get?
            aaah, I don't see that happening, not here anyway.
            Oh, you may find web sites full of people who will tell you how to get off on a technicality, and you will find plenty of Attorneys who will try and get you off on a technicality, for a price.
            The long and the short of it is,
            you were either speeding or you were not,
            and due to the fact that you are here would suggest that you were.
            The only way you might have a real shot at getting off would be if,
            the issuing officer got,
            the name wrong,
            and,
            the address is wrong,
            and,
            the tag number is wrong,
            and,
            the date and location is wrong.
            In fact, the best way I can think of for getting off would be if you hadn't been there at all,
            and speeding in the first place.

            Please feel free to disregard anything I've said,
            and by all means, go to court and flail away, it's your right to do so.
            You might get lucky and the cop not show up, but keep in mind thats no guaranteed get out of jail card, you may still have to deal with the Judge, and as long as he has the ticket to look at you could be dead meat.

            Oh, and back to your question,


            I'm sure there is, but it's your ticket and your neck that's
            in the noose not mine, you do the homework.
            Good Luck in court.

            [/SIZE]
            I would have to disregard everything you said here as nothing you said was new or useful to me.
            and to my defense i don't think i was speeding, I think I was going around 60-65MPH, that's acceptable at the route i was traveling. But at this point it doesn't even matter how fast I was going. I came here to seek for some helpful information that could help me in my case. Yes it is my ticket and I am doing my homework by researching the ways to beat it. I hope that I am ending this discussion with you in good terms.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hmmm. If I were in this situation, I'd take it to court and demand the witness be identified. You have every right to confront the prosecutions witnesses in court. You DID say the officer witnessed this, right?
              I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
              Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
              I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
              Don't worry, be happy.

              http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

              Comment


              • #8
                it's all good

                Originally posted by kolya View Post
                I would have to disregard everything you said here as nothing you said was new or useful to me.
                and to my defense i don't think i was speeding, I think I was going around 60-65MPH, that's acceptable at the route i was traveling. But at this point it doesn't even matter how fast I was going. I came here to seek for some helpful information that could help me in my case. Yes it is my ticket and I am doing my homework by researching the ways to beat it. I hope that I am ending this discussion with you in good terms.
                Yeah, I did come off a bit judgmental,
                sorry about that,
                it's been one of those weeks.
                FWIW let me how it goes in court,
                I HATE speeding tickets.
                In my go fast days my thoughts were,
                if ya can catch me, I guess I got one coming.
                Back then, the cops had to get right up on you,
                I made it a point to not let that happen,
                but WHEN they did,
                ...I did a lot of walking.

                ..______________
                ~ CAUTION: Dangerously Under-Medicated,
                I do what ever the voices tell me to do…

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cactus jack View Post
                  Hmmm. If I were in this situation, I'd take it to court and demand the witness be identified. You have every right to confront the prosecutions witnesses in court. You DID say the officer witnessed this, right?
                  from what i am hearing i think officer is probably going to be there.
                  I think what i will also try to do is go to that place where he timed me at about 9 pm and see if i can clearly see the lines at that time of the day.
                  I can also point out the error on the speeding ticket, maybe i should start by confirming with the cop if the distance and time he used. once confirmed maybe point out that does not add up to 74 mph etc.
                  so far these are what i have.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You were speeding. Man up and pay the fine. And next time, slow down. What's so complicated here?
                    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Das ist in der Doktor!

                      kolya;
                      Now I am not sure if my math is wrong but according to miles and secs. timed i should have been traveling at 112MPHand not 74MPH.
                      I would like to know if there is any way I can beat this ticket without an attorney. Can I argue about the discrepancies on the ticket, time of day, distance measured or equipment?
                      Uhhh, you were going 111.9327731092437 MPH to be exact,
                      http://www.arkansasrunner.com/calculators/mileperhr.htm
                      but why split hairs right?

                      The OPINIONS that you were speeding I believe, have been more than adequately addressed, and since none of us were sitting there beside you at the time, our OPINIONS are irrelevant.
                      If you go to court, and should the Judge ask you if you were speeding, YOU are the one who will have to give him/her an answer, hopefully an honest answer and one not based on technicalities, or you are liable to find yourself roasted right there on the spot where you stand, so just be forewarned.

                      While the benefits of taking responsibility for ones actions may be a debatable subject for some, the one thing that is not debatable is that fines are usually steep and convictions tend to play havoc with your insurance rates.
                      Getting a tickets dismissed based on technicalities is not unheard of, but, going to court is a crap shoot, ya never really know what the outcome will be until you're there.
                      You asked for help? the only thing I can think of if you already done so, is to google "how to beat a speeding ticket"
                      Keep in mind, if you fight this ticket and should you loose, there may be court costs involved on top of everything else.
                      Ultimately, I'd be willing to bet that your decision to fight this ticket may simply come down to a matter of $$$$
                      Good luck.

                      ..__________
                      ~ You know you need a different Lawyer when during your initial consultation,
                      he tries to sell you Amway

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They use the device wrong in PA. Since it depends on human reaction time, any observation time shorter than 5 seconds gives an inaccurate speed.

                        Comment

                        The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X