This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Seat Belt Violation Ticket Indiana

I was in a vehicle travelling with a friend and was pulled over for not wearing our seatbelts as per 9-19-10-2. I'm not disputing that fact, however I am concerned that this will negatively affect my driving record/insurance rates, as I was not the driver of the vehicle.

The officer who wrote the tickets indicated that my friend was the driver on his ticket, and that I was the driver on mine, as it says "Did Unlawfully Operate" with the vehicle information

Am I wrong in thinking that the officer improperly filled the ticket out? Was I legally "operating" the vehicle?

I'm trying to see if it is worth contesting the ticket due to this information,

IC 9-19-10-2
    Use of safety belt by motor vehicle occupants; safety belt standards
    Sec. 2. Each occupant of a motor vehicle equipped with a safety belt that:
    > meets the standards stated in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number 208 (49 CFR 571.208); and
    > is standard equipment installed by the manufacturer;
    shall have a safety belt properly fastened about the occupant's body at all times when the vehicle is in forward motion.

Even though you weren't the driver of the vehicle, as an occupant, you also needed to have your seat belt buckled.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

My complaint isn't with being charged for not wearing the seatbelt; I admit my fault there and understand the charge. However I was not driving, yet this charges me as a driver, when I was not.

Why am I or should I suffer an infraction on my driving record when I was not driving? Am I missing something here?

Comment

Originally posted by jobajobajoba View Post
        Why am I or should I suffer an infraction on my driving record when I was not driving? Am I missing something here?
        You violated a traffic law. Perhaps driving record is not the best term, but I don't think that anyone is going to change it to suit the few non-drivers who are cited.
        Militant Agnostic- I don't know and you don't know either.

Comment

I don't know Indiana law, but found this later on in the statute you cited:

IC 9-19-10-8
          Failure of front seat occupant to use belt; violation; classification; assessment of points
          Sec. 8. (a) A person who:
          (1) is at least sixteen (16) years of age; and
          (2) violates section 2 of this chapter;
          commits a Class D infraction.
          (b) The bureau may not assess points under the point system for Class D infractions under this section.

The law doesn't seem to differentiate between drivers and passengers, so I'm not sure how they're citing you as a driver.
          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

The ONLY reason Indiana passed this law is that the federal government threatened to cut off highway funds if they didn't.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X