X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selectively driving in the left lane?

Phil Earnhardt wrote:
    I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already covered: When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left lane about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the left lane until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in with US36. At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left lane until I'm past the interchange. I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left lane. The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with merging traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into the left lane. Does anyone here object to this practice?
    No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the
    posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.

==phil
    --

"Naturally, the common people don't want war;
    neither in Russia nor in England nor in America,
    nor for that matter in Germany.
    That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders
    of the country who determine the policy and
    it is always a simple matter to drag the people
    along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist
    dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist
    dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can
    always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    That is easy. All you have to do is tell them
    they are being attacked and denounce the
    pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same way
    in any country."

- Hermann Goering, Nazi Reichsmarshall

Selectively driving in the left lane?

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:25:50 -0700, "** Vox Dei ©" <[email protected]>
    Phil Earnhardt wrote:
    I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already covered: When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left lane about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the left lane until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in with US36. At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left lane until I'm past the interchange. I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left lane. The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with merging traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into the left lane. Does anyone here object to this practice?
    No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER theposted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
    It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. If
    you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's pretty
    simple.
    ==phil

Comment

Mike Helm wrote:
      Phil Earnhardt wrote:
      No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
      It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. If you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's pretty simple.
      Unfortunately some States don't word their laws specific and unambiguous enough
      for that to be the case.

For instance, in Colorado, the signage states in most cases "Slower Traffic Keep
      Right".
      The problem is that is subjective, slower than "whom" or "what". Some drivers
      believe
      that if they aren't slower than the posted speed limit, it's ok to block the
      left lane, or
      if they aren't slower than the last car they passed 4 miles ago, it's ok to
      obstruct
      the left lane.

Now in Pennsylvania, there is less ambiguity, the signs read " Keep Right EXCEPT
      to Pass".
      Quite specific, if you aren't passing, regardless of the traffic speed, your
      speed, or the posted
      speed, you must Keep Right. The left lane is EXCLUSIVELY for passing, it isn't
      simply another
      driving lane. And the PA State Police DO enforce that law, you can be driving on
      the PA turnpike,
      at 2 am with no one else in sight, and if you are cruising by yourself in the
      left lane, they will stop
      you and "educate" you on the mandate to drive in the right lane, pass in the
      left lane.

The problem in Colorado anyway is that they need to rephrase the law and the
      signage,
      and educate the public that the left lane is exclusively for passing only, not
      driving, though
      depending on the specific roadway and density, they sometimes need both lanes as
      traffic
      movers.

Personally I don't care, I'll get around one of those LLB idiots on the right,
      or even take
      them on the shoulder when they aren't paying attention. I even got around the
      infamous
      Scott Weiser in his Hummer on US36 near the scenic overlook once, took him away
      on
      the right lane, when the unwitting right lane driver let their speed slip just
      enough to create
      a gap.

You have to ask yourself, what kind of dysfunctional moron would ever purchase
      a Hummer for on-road civilian use?

==phil

Comment

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:25:36 -0700, Mike Helm <[email protected]> wrote:
        Phil Earnhardt wrote:
        No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER theposted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
        It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. Ifyou're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's prettysimple.
        Nope, there are valid reasons on a crowded road with many mergers to
        be in the far right, passing or not.

Think it through.

Comment

Phil Earnhardt wrote:
          No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
          It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. If you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's pretty simple.
          Well, I'm always passing *someone*. They might be five miles away, but I
          like to plan ahead...
          --
          Regards,
          Scott Weiser

"I love the Internet, I no longer have to depend on
          Friends, family and co-workers, I can annoy people WORLDWIDE!"

© 2004 Scott Weiser

Comment

Mike Helm wrote:
            Phil Earnhardt wrote:> I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already> covered:>> When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left> lane about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the> left lane until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in> with US36.>> At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left> lane until I'm past the interchange.>> I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left lane.> The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with> merging traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into> the left lane.>> Does anyone here object to this practice? No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
            Unfortunately some States don't word their laws specific and unambiguous enough for that to be the case. For instance, in Colorado, the signage states in most cases "Slower Traffic Keep Right". The problem is that is subjective, slower than "whom" or "what".
            Indeed, though it's not too awful subjective, it just takes some rational
            analysis.
            Some drivers believe that if they aren't slower than the posted speed limit, it's ok to block the left lane,
            Actually, so does the State Patrol and the Colorado Legislature, because
            that's what the law says. I got it direct from the mouth of the Chief of the
            State Patrol, on News4, just after a 50 car pileup south of Denver on I25.

or
            if they aren't slower than the last car they passed 4 miles ago, it's ok to obstruct the left lane.
            Indeed, so long as they are going the speed limit.
            Now in Pennsylvania, there is less ambiguity, the signs read " Keep Right EXCEPT to Pass". Quite specific, if you aren't passing, regardless of the traffic speed, your speed, or the posted speed, you must Keep Right. The left lane is EXCLUSIVELY for passing, it isn't simply another driving lane. And the PA State Police DO enforce that law, you can be driving on the PA turnpike, at 2 am with no one else in sight, and if you are cruising by yourself in the left lane, they will stop you and "educate" you on the mandate to drive in the right lane, pass in the left lane.
            Other states have this law as well. It's a bad law, but it's not my state,
            so it's not my problem.
            The problem in Colorado anyway is that they need to rephrase the law and the signage, and educate the public that the left lane is exclusively for passing only, not driving, though depending on the specific roadway and density, they sometimes need both lanes as traffic movers.
            Well, that's what you think they should do, and perhaps what one Democrat
            from Boulder thinks. I hope to persuade the Legislature not to buy into the
            specious arguments which are usually used to try to support such laws.
            Personally I don't care, I'll get around one of those LLB idiots on the right, or even take them on the shoulder when they aren't paying attention. I even got around the infamous Scott Weiser in his Hummer on US36 near the scenic overlook once, took him away on the right lane, when the unwitting right lane driver let their speed slip just enough to create a gap.
            Really? How interesting. What color was it? When did you do so? Any special
            distinguishing characteristics of my Hummer you might have noticed which
            would prove that it was actually me?

Not that it matters, nobody said my enforcement efforts were perfect. But,
            hopefully, with education, many others will join me and our collective
            efforts will be much more effective.
            You have to ask yourself, what kind of dysfunctional moron would ever purchase a Hummer for on-road civilian use?
            One who needs the off-road capabilities and cargo capacity perhaps...

--
            Regards,
            Scott Weiser

© 2004 Scott Weiser

Comment

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:35:01 -0700, "** Vox Dei ©" <[email protected]>

Personally I don't care, I'll get around one of those LLB idiots on the right,or even takethem on the shoulder when they aren't paying attention. I even got around theinfamousScott Weiser in his Hummer on US36 near the scenic overlook once, took him awayonthe right lane, when the unwitting right lane driver let their speed slip justenough to createa gap.You have to ask yourself, what kind of dysfunctional moron would ever purchasea Hummer for on-road civilian use?
              A moron. I saw one a couple cars back at a red light trying to squeeze
              into the right turn lane. Normally, I would have pulled up a little,
              but a Hummer is NOT by any stretch of imagination, "normal".

Gave the ***** a little payback for driving such a monstrosity. I know,
              it's a small thing, but it made waiting at the red light bearable.
              >> ==phil

Comment

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:54:19 -0700, Uncle Samuel <[email protected]>
                Phil Earnhardt wrote:> I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already> covered:>> When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left lane> about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the left lane> until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in with US36.>> At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left lane> until I'm past the interchange.>> I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left lane.> The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with merging> traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into the left> lane.>> Does anyone here object to this practice?No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER theposted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
                It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. Ifyou're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's prettysimple.
                Nope, there are valid reasons on a crowded road with many mergers tobe in the far right, passing or not.
                Such as?
                Think it through.
                A road with so many on-ramps that you can't merge back into the right
                lane or manage to be passing someone in the right lane for mile after
                mile?

I've never seen an open highway like that.

Comment

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:05:48 -0700, Scott Weiser
                  <[email protected]>
                  Phil Earnhardt wrote:> I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already> covered:>> When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left lane> about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the left lane> until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in with US36.>> At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left lane> until I'm past the interchange.>> I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left lane.> The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with merging> traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into the left> lane.>> Does anyone here object to this practice? No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.
                  Well, I'm always passing *someone*. They might be five miles away, but Ilike to plan ahead...
                  Then plan ahead and know which states you can legally do that in. It
                  can get you a ticket in more than a couple of them.

Comment

It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. If you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's pretty simple. Well, I'm always passing *someone*. They might be five miles away, but I like to plan ahead... Then plan ahead and know which states you can legally do that in. It can get you a ticket in more than a couple of them.
                    Oh, I do, I do. I'm speaking specifically about Colorado law. When in Rome,
                    I rub blue mud in my bellybutton... Or whatever.
                    --
                    Regards,
                    Scott Weiser

© 2004 Scott Weiser

Comment

Mike Helm wrote:
                      Personally I don't care, I'll get around one of those LLB idiots on the right, or even take them on the shoulder when they aren't paying attention. I even got around the infamous Scott Weiser in his Hummer on US36 near the scenic overlook once, took him away on the right lane, when the unwitting right lane driver let their speed slip just enough to create a gap. You have to ask yourself, what kind of dysfunctional moron would ever purchase a Hummer for on-road civilian use?
                      A moron. I saw one a couple cars back at a red light trying to squeeze into the right turn lane. Normally, I would have pulled up a little, but a Hummer is NOT by any stretch of imagination, "normal". Gave the ***** a little payback for driving such a monstrosity. I know, it's a small thing, but it made waiting at the red light bearable.
                      Passive aggression, like masturbation, feels great, don't it?
                      .... as long as no one catches you.

>>>>>> ==phil

Comment

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 23:52:45 -0700, "** Vox Dei ©" <[email protected]>
                        wrote:
                        Mike Helm wrote:
                        Personally I don't care, I'll get around one of those LLB idiots on the right, or even take them on the shoulder when they aren't paying attention. I even got around the infamous Scott Weiser in his Hummer on US36 near the scenic overlook once, took him away on the right lane, when the unwitting right lane driver let their speed slip just enough to create a gap. You have to ask yourself, what kind of dysfunctional moron would ever purchase a Hummer for on-road civilian use?
                        A moron. I saw one a couple cars back at a red light trying to squeeze into the right turn lane. Normally, I would have pulled up a little, but a Hummer is NOT by any stretch of imagination, "normal". Gave the ***** a little payback for driving such a monstrosity. I know, it's a small thing, but it made waiting at the red light bearable.
                        Passive aggression, like masturbation, feels great, don't it?... as long as no one catches you.
                        The expert has spoken...

Comment

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 23:07:31 -0700, Mike Helm <[email protected]> wrote:
                          On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:54:19 -0700, Uncle Samuel <[email protected]>
                          On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:25:50 -0700, "** Vox Dei ©" <[email protected]>>Phil Earnhardt wrote:>> I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already>> covered:>>>> When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left lane>> about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the left lane>> until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in with US36.>>>> At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left lane>> until I'm past the interchange.>>>> I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left lane.>> The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with merging>> traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into the left>> lane.>>>> Does anyone here object to this practice?>>No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the>posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.>It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. Ifyou're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's prettysimple.
                          Nope, there are valid reasons on a crowded road with many mergers tobe in the far right, passing or not.
                          Such as?
                          My erratum, make that read "far left" &-(
                          Think it through.A road with so many on-ramps that you can't merge back into the rightlane or manage to be passing someone in the right lane for mile aftermile?I've never seen an open highway like that.
                          Gag - nor I.

Comment

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:14:10 -0700, Scott Weiser
                            <[email protected]> wrote:

Really? How interesting. What color was it? When did you do so? Any specialdistinguishing characteristics of my Hummer you might have noticed whichwould prove that it was actually me?
                            <chuckle>

http://www.humvee.net/pix/sw/scott.html

Comment

Scott Weiser wrote:
                              Mike Helm wrote:
                              On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:25:50 -0700, "** Vox Dei ©" <[email protected]>> Phil Earnhardt wrote:>> I had one question in this thread. Apologies if it was already>> covered:>>>> When driving on US36 to Denver, I will invariably get in the left>> lane about a mile before I get to Table Mesa. I will stay in the>> left lane until I get past where the Foothills traffic merges in>> with US36.>>>> At the Louisville/Superior exit, I will typically get in the left>> lane until I'm past the interchange.>>>> I travel at or above the speed limit when going into the left>> lane.>> The point of the shifts: the right lanes are far too busy with>> merging traffic at these locations; it seems far safer to get into>> the left lane.>>>> Does anyone here object to this practice?>> No, it's logical and efficient, as long as you are going OVER the> posted speed limit and not obstructing traffic behind you.> It's that 2nd part that most LLBs seem to have a problem with. If you're not passing someone, you shouldn't be in that lane. It's pretty simple.
                              Unfortunately some States don't word their laws specific and unambiguous enough for that to be the case. For instance, in Colorado, the signage states in most cases "Slower Traffic Keep Right". The problem is that is subjective, slower than "whom" or "what". Indeed, though it's not too awful subjective, it just takes some rational analysis.
                              Some drivers believe that if they aren't slower than the posted speed limit, it's ok to block the left lane,
                              Actually, so does the State Patrol and the Colorado Legislature, because that's what the law says. I got it direct from the mouth of the Chief of the State Patrol, on News4, just after a 50 car pileup south of Denver on I25. or
                              if they aren't slower than the last car they passed 4 miles ago, it's ok to obstruct the left lane.
                              Indeed, so long as they are going the speed limit.
                              Now in Pennsylvania, there is less ambiguity, the signs read " Keep Right EXCEPT to Pass". Quite specific, if you aren't passing, regardless of the traffic speed, your speed, or the posted speed, you must Keep Right. The left lane is EXCLUSIVELY for passing, it isn't simply another driving lane. And the PA State Police DO enforce that law, you can be driving on the PA turnpike, at 2 am with no one else in sight, and if you are cruising by yourself in the left lane, they will stop you and "educate" you on the mandate to drive in the right lane, pass in the left lane.
                              Other states have this law as well. It's a bad law, but it's not my state, so it's not my problem.
                              The problem in Colorado anyway is that they need to rephrase the law and the signage, and educate the public that the left lane is exclusively for passing only, not driving, though depending on the specific roadway and density, they sometimes need both lanes as traffic movers.
                              Well, that's what you think they should do, and perhaps what one Democrat from Boulder thinks. I hope to persuade the Legislature not to buy into the specious arguments which are usually used to try to support such laws.
                              Then again, perhaps you can't. You haven't been able to stop the gun
                              grab.
                              Personally I don't care, I'll get around one of those LLB idiots on the right, or even take them on the shoulder when they aren't paying attention. I even got around the infamous Scott Weiser in his Hummer on US36 near the scenic overlook once, took him away on the right lane, when the unwitting right lane driver let their speed slip just enough to create a gap.
                              Really?
                              Really.
                              How interesting.
                              Not very.
                              What color was it?
                              Desert tanish.
                              When did you do so?
                              Couple of years back.
                              Any special distinguishing characteristics of my Hummer you might have noticed which would prove that it was actually me?
                              You mean besides the fact that you were driving and Wayne was
                              in the passenger seat?
                              Not that it matters, nobody said my enforcement efforts were perfect.
                              The day you can "force" anyone else to do something is the day
                              you'll be as thin as Jared the Subway Boy.
                              But, hopefully, with education, many others will join me and our collective efforts will be much more effective.
                              Yeah, mob rule and vigilantism is cool, I like it myself because
                              they are so easy to inflame into hysteria and manipulate, and their
                              destruction is fun to watch.

You have to ask yourself, what kind of dysfunctional moron would ever purchase a Hummer for on-road civilian use?
                              One who needs the off-road capabilities and cargo capacity perhaps...
                              Or one with a paper ******* who can afford to have 8000lbs of inoperable
                              junk in their yard most of the time.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X