Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

DTJ <[email protected]> writes:
    I am against spanking because most parents can't do it right.

Is it all in the wrist?

Geoff

--
    "Do any men at all vote for the Democrats anymore?"
    -- Ann Coulter

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
      DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
      Here is a simple question for you - if crime has gone down so much,how come prisons are more full than ever, actual time served is at itslowest point ever, and they are building more prisons every day.
      Increased mandatory sentencing for minor drug offenses.

--
      ================================================== ====================
      Kevin Scaldeferri Calif. Institute of Technology
      The INTJ's Prayer:
      Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.

Comment

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:11:44 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum"
        <[email protected]> wrote:
        : I believe that yellow lights have to be at least one-tenth second for: each MPH of the prima facie speed limit in order to substantiate a red: light conviction.What are you saying? That if the speed limit is 50 mph, then the yellowlight only has to be 0.5 seconds long???
        I guess ski bums can't do basic math...

Comment

On 26 Nov 2003 09:55:56 -0800, [email protected] (Geoff Miller)
          wrote:
          DTJ <[email protected]> writes:
          I am against spanking because most parents can't do it right.
          Is it all in the wrist?
          Hopefully you understood that my point was most parents who spank do
          so out of anger, which is not right.
          "Do any men at all vote for the Democrats anymore?" -- Ann Coulter
          Not intelligent ones.

Comment

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:40:13 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
            (Kevin A. Scaldeferri) wrote:
            In article <[email protected]>,DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
            Here is a simple question for you - if crime has gone down so much,how come prisons are more full than ever, actual time served is at itslowest point ever, and they are building more prisons every day.
            So, back to the point. One claims crime is on the decrease, yet we
            have more people in jail, more jails being built...

Sure seems like crime is up.

Comment

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:40:13 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Kevin A. Scaldeferri) wrote:
              So, back to the point. One claims crime is on the decrease, yet we have more people in jail, more jails being built... Sure seems like crime is up.
              No, prison terms for crime is up; it does NOT necessarily follow that
              crime itself is up. Other explanations include that people are being
              caught more often, that prosecutors are doing a better job of making
              their cases, that crime is more likely to result in longer prison/jail
              sentences, and that what is considered a crime has changed. There may
              be other possible explanations, but "more people in prison" does NOT
              mean "more crime" -- that is only one possible explanation.

meh
              --
              Children won't care how much you know until they know how much you care

Comment

Geoff Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
                It's noticeably better since the dot-com bubble burst. Notonly are there fewer cars on the roads, but the downturnseems to have had a chastening psychological effect on thepeople who remain.It was getting pretty bad for a while, though. Things hadgotten to the point where it seemed like I got into somekind of altercation with another driver every time I droveanywhere.
                http://www.despair.com/demotivators/dysfunction.html
                --
                Matthew T. Russotto [email protected]
                "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
                of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
                a modicum of security is a very expensive vice.

Comment

Earlier I wrote:

[ driving in the Bay Area: better after the bubble burst ]

: It was getting pretty bad for a while, though. Things had
                  : gotten to the point where it seemed like I got into some
                  : kind of altercation with another driver every time I drove
                  : anywhere.

Matthew Russotto <[email protected]> replies:

And your point is...?

Geoff

--
                  "Do any men at all vote for the Democrats anymore?"
                  -- Ann Coulter

Comment

toto <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]x.com>. ..
                    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:44:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote:
                    "Severe punishment" does not have to mean hitting, you know.
                    Doesn't have to that is true and some punishments are worse than hitting but punishment in general doesn't work the way people think it does. It may change behavior short term, but it teaches unintended lessons and it does not produce adults who are self-disciplined.
                    You know, Dorothy, this kind of sweeping generalization is not only
                    wrong, but it also provides support for those people who disagree with
                    your ideas.

In general, I think you're right. Punishment isn't the best approach
                    and it does have unintended and undesireable consequences.

On the other hand, it does work the way most people think it does.
                    Your assertion that it doesn't is based on a false idea about what
                    other people think. It does change behavior short term and sometimes
                    that's sufficient justification for the slight adverse effects it may
                    also produce. And it does produce adults who are self-disciplined. I
                    know plenty of self-disciplined adults who were reliably punished as
                    children.

I use punishment on occasion with my own children. Never severe,
                    never coporal, but I don't think it matters much. The negative
                    consequences are still there. And sometimes, the short-term behavior
                    change is worth it. The long term behavior change happens as well
                    because we're actually pretty good parents. We talk to out children,
                    explain our rules, explain why we want to behave the way we're asking,
                    notice when they do things rights, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving

Beth

Comment

dragonlady <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                      In article <[email protected]>, "ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote:
                      : The driving here in the Bay area is SO much saner than the driving : around Boston! I never thought I'd hear anyone say driving in the Bay Area was "sane"! All I can say is, thank God for cab drivers!
                      I spent some time last summer back in the Boston area. Bay Area driving is truly much, much saner!
                      I TOTALLY agree. We spend a couple of weeks *every* summer inside 128
                      in Boston, and every year I think I'm taking my life in my hands the
                      second I get into a car. Not only is Boston the most insane place to
                      drive other then Italy that I've ever been in, but the roads suck, the
                      signage is worse, and people have absolutely no patience. You get
                      *used* to having signs announcing what intersecting is upcoming when
                      you drive in CA. You get *used* to having block numbers on the street
                      signs. You get *used* to having roads with 4 or 5 lanes so that you
                      can take a left or a right without blocking traffic. And most of all,
                      you get used to following the laws because everyone else does.

Driving in the bay area is a lot easier now that the bubble has burst
                      and the traffic is lighter, but it's always been easier than Boston,
                      even in the bubble heyday. For one thing, they have metered onramps,
                      which really do help spread out the traffic. And they have diamond
                      lanes, which allow people who carpool to get a break. Neither are
                      found in Boston. Plus, the constant construction in Boston tends to
                      really get old fast.

Marjorie
                      meh

Comment

"Arthur L. Rubin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                        chiam margalit wrote:
                        When I returned to CA I got a ticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fine ticket.
                        Actually, I know someone else who CLAIMED she got a ticket for going throught a yellow light. She had other mental problems, also. Seriously, there is only one ACTUAL violation that might be considered going through a yellow light -- that's the anti-gridlock law which specifies that if you enter an intersection, there must be room to clear it by the time your light becomes red.
                        Uh DUH. That's exactly what I said, maroon!

Marjorie

Comment

> Driving in the bay area is a lot easier now that the bubble has burst
                          and the traffic is lighter, but it's always been easier than Boston, even in the bubble heyday. For one thing, they have metered onramps, which really do help spread out the traffic. And they have diamond lanes, which allow people who carpool to get a break. Neither are found in Boston. Plus, the constant construction in Boston tends to really get old fast. Marjorie
                          What are you talking about? Construction in the Boston area is not
                          constant. It only happens from 7-10AM and 4-7PM Monday through Friday. You
                          won't see any construction going on outside of weekday rush hours. It's
                          hardly what I'd call "constant". -Dave

Comment

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:40:13 +0000 (UTC), [email protected](Kevin A. Scaldeferri) wrote:
                            So, back to the point. One claims crime is on the decrease, yet wehave more people in jail, more jails being built...
                            More people in jail does not simply imply more crimes being committed.
                            Sure seems like crime is up.
                            The more laws there are, the more crime there is.
                            -Chaung Tzu

--
                            ================================================== ====================
                            Kevin Scaldeferri Calif. Institute of Technology
                            The INTJ's Prayer:
                            Lord keep me open to others' ideas, WRONG though they may be.

Comment

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:22:07 -0600, toto <[email protected]>
                              wrote:
                              On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:06:01 GMT, DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
                              On 23 Nov 2003 05:36:03 -0800, Banty <[email protected]> wrote:
                              You might not be aware, Al, but this thread was cross-posted to misc.kids.Internet (USENET, actually) discussion about raising kids is exactly what we'reabout.
                              You might not be aware, but if this is how your group raises children,we are going to need a whole lot more prisons in the future.
                              Neither the research nor the anecdotal evidence from my 30 yearsof contact with children supports you in that. The people in jailwere more likely abused than brought up with positive parenting.
                              True, but positive parenting does not in any way state that you should
                              not punish bad behavior. Your extreme view simply does not work, as
                              much as you would have us believe that it adheres to a proven standard
                              of parenting that it does not even closely approximate.

30 years of contact with children, huh. Hopefully the police arrest
                              you for that soon.

Comment

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:58:02 GMT, DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
                                Neither the research nor the anecdotal evidence from my 30 yearsof contact with children supports you in that. The people in jailwere more likely abused than brought up with positive parenting.True, but positive parenting does not in any way state that you shouldnot punish bad behavior.
                                Positive parenting doesn't need punishment and punishment generally
                                doesn't work well in conjunction with it because the attitudes are
                                antithetical.

Punishment and Rewards work *only* to change behavior in the short
                                term. They don't work to produce self-disciplined adults which is
                                what most parents are after. While used *very sparingly,* they may
                                not have a huge negative effect, they are unnecessary and insufficient
                                to the task at hand.

Positive parenting is NOT the opposite side of the behaviorist coin -
                                that is, using rewards.

Try Parent Effectiveness Training and see. Try reading Adele Faber
                                and Elaine Mazlish who changed their attitude through PET and then
                                and eventually wrote How To Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So
                                Kids Will Talk.
                                Your extreme view simply does not work, asmuch as you would have us believe that it adheres to a proven standardof parenting that it does not even closely approximate.
                                30 years of contact with children, huh. Hopefully the police arrestyou for that soon.
                                My own two children are grown. My son has a daughter and a new
                                baby on the way. I have taught high school math, been involved with
                                girl scouts with my daughter throughout her childhood, with soccer
                                with my son throughout his childhood and teach preschool currently.

I am a parent, a teacher and a grandparent. Exactly what would you
                                have them arrest me for? Please be specific.

--
                                Dorothy

There is no sound, no cry in all the world
                                that can be heard unless someone listens ..

The Outer Limits

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X