Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

: If the light turns red after you've passed that line and you're still
    : in the intersection...you just ran a red.

Actually, my understanding was that if you enter the intersection while the
    light is still yellow, then you may legally proceed through the
    intersection--even if the light turns red while you're in the intersection.
    As long as you've crossed the line before it turns red, it's not a
    violation.

Comments from the driving newsgroup??
    --
    ColoradoSkiBum

Comment

Around 11/23/2003 4:47 PM, ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
      : If the light turns red after you've passed that line and you're still : in the intersection...you just ran a red. Actually, my understanding was that if you enter the intersection while the light is still yellow, then you may legally proceed through the intersection--even if the light turns red while you're in the intersection. As long as you've crossed the line before it turns red, it's not a violation. Comments from the driving newsgroup??

I think it's highly dependent on your location, but in general you're
      right COSkiBum. Enter on yellow and exit on red is usually OK.

http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_facts/qanda/rlc.htm#1
      (Although I hate referring people to the Insurance Institute for Higher
      Surcharges, they appear to have gotten at least that first point correct...)

--
      ~/Garth |"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than a lie.
      Almgren | I believe it is better to be free than to be a slave.
      ******* | And I believe it is better to know than to be ignorant."
      ^(To e-mail me, look in a mirror) - Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Comment

toto wrote:
        If the light turns red after you've passed that line and you're still in the intersection...you just ran a red.
        That is incorrect. One runs a red light only if they cross the
        intersection line *after* the light turns red.

Comment

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:44:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum"
          <[email protected]> wrote:
          "Severe punishment" does not have to mean hitting, you know.
          Doesn't have to that is true and some punishments are worse
          than hitting but punishment in general doesn't work the way
          people think it does. It may change behavior short term, but
          it teaches unintended lessons and it does not produce adults
          who are self-disciplined.

--
          Dorothy

There is no sound, no cry in all the world
          that can be heard unless someone listens ..

The Outer Limits

Comment

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
            : If the light turns red after you've passed that line and you're still : in the intersection...you just ran a red. Actually, my understanding was that if you enter the intersection while the light is still yellow, then you may legally proceed through the intersection--even if the light turns red while you're in the intersection. As long as you've crossed the line before it turns red, it's not a violation. Comments from the driving newsgroup??
            In Indiana, as long as it's yellow when you enter, you're in the
            clear.

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, CC Bailey says...
              ColoradoSkiBum wrote:
              In Indiana, as long as it's yellow when you enter, you're in theclear.
              Same in New York State.

Banty

Comment

Banty wrote:
                In article <[email protected]>, CC Bailey says...
                Actually, my understanding was that if you enter the intersection while the light is still yellow, then you may legally proceed through the intersection--even if the light turns red while you're in the intersection. As long as you've crossed the line before it turns red, it's not a violation. Comments from the driving newsgroup??In Indiana, as long as it's yellow when you enter, you're in theclear. Same in New York State.

Ditto for Connecticut

Comment

In article <[email protected]> ,
                  [email protected] (nilanjan) wrote:
                  BTW ... I think I am the best parent one can be !!!
                  Most lousy parents do!

Congratulations, parent of unruly child.

-Sloopy

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                    DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
                    On 23 Nov 2003 13:20:34 -0800, [email protected] (nilanjan) wrote:
                    BTW ... I think I am the best parent one can be !!! Lets not go offtrack into free parenting lessons over the internet ..
                    Your child frequently takes his seatbelt off on the expressway, and you think you are the best parent one can be. Fortunately, or unfortunately, it is just a matter of time before you aren't a parent any longer.
                    I went back and double checked -- she said the child removed the
                    seatbelt AFTER THE CAR WAS STOPPED, and that she usually got out as soon
                    as she could AFTER THE CAR WAS STOPPED -- NOT that the child ever takes
                    the seatbelt off while the car is moving.

I had this happen at one point. I was involved in an accident -- rear
                    ended -- and while my land yacht was barely damaged, the care that rear
                    ended us was pretty much totalled. While we were waiting for the
                    police, my kids wanted out of their car seats (one, especially, really
                    HATED her car seat) so I let them get out and play in the back end of
                    the station wagon (we were parked safely in a legal parking spot.)

When the police arrived, the first thing he asked was if my kids had
                    been in the back playing when the accident happened. I think the
                    horrified expression on my face when I said, "Good God no! They were in
                    their car seats!" convinced him that I was telling the truth.

meh
                    --
                    Children won't care how much you know until they know how much you care

Comment

In article <[email protected] >,
                      [email protected] (chiam margalit) wrote:
                      [email protected] (nilanjan) wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
                      In CA SF bay area : I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed limit. Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer. The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for Seatbelt. I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75. I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ? I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to the traffic court to find out more. Thanks in advance ...
                      CA has a MINIMUM moving violation ticket price of $271 (or 273, I can't recall which). Since you have two such violations, I think you got of pretty light as your amount could be well over $500. My feeling is, if you don't want to pay the price of a moving violation, don't speed. It's really pretty simple. I learned how to drive in SoCal, and learned early on that following the rules of the road in CA is a good thing. When I moved to another state, I got a bit lax in my driving abilities, (and that's being kind) because I lived in MA, where there is no such thing as a moving violation, and if you do get one, it's a measly $20 fine. When I returned to CA I got a ticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fine ticket. It was the only moving violation I've ever gotten in CA. Once bitten, twice shy. Marjorie
                      That's funny!

We lived north of Boston for many years. DH got a job out here in the
                      Bay area, and moved out here while the kids and I stayed in Mass for
                      about six weeks. He came back to help us move. The first day he was
                      back, we drove someplace, and I started to laugh and told him I could
                      tell he'd been driving out of state. He STOPPED at a yellow light --
                      and where we were living, that could have resulted in getting rear ended.

The driving here in the Bay area is SO much saner than the driving
                      around Boston!

meh
                      --

Comment

"ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote:
                        You can legitimatly be ticketed if you cannot clear the intersection.
                        Thus, you cannot enter an intersection on a yellow light (or even on a
                        green light) if you cannot get all the way through it due to stopped
                        traffic. Police around here are perfectly willing to ticket someone for
                        being stuck in the middle of an intersection when the light turns red,
                        because they are preventing cross traffic from moving through the
                        intersection on their green light.

Also, there IS a point at which you "run" the red by entering ALMOST on
                        a yellow light, and I've seen people gun it on yellow and not quite make
                        it on time.

meh
                        --

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:37:38 -0600, toto <[email protected]> wrote:
                          On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:59:03 GMT, DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
                          Not the point. A 5 year old should not be allowed to take off a seatbelt. My 3 year old can, but knows he will be severely punished if hedoes. He must ask first, and must wait for a response.
                          If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the carfast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially ifyou have been knocked unconscious.The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that thechild doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. Andthe problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments isthat you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want toteach.
                          Well Dorothy, or toto, or whoever you are, please do not take something I write and twist it to serve your misguided views of parenting. I don't believe in spanking. However, I occasionally do. When I do I always ask my son if it hurt his butt. He always says no. I then ask him if it hurt his feelings. He always says yes. I always hug him afterwards. I never swat him more than once. I never hit him hard. Hell if he admits it doesn't hurt, that pretty much says it all. Further, the reason my son listens is BECAUSE I DON"T HAVE HARD AND FAST RULES. There are some things that can not be negotiated though. Liberals like you, and don't bother telling anyone you are not a liberal, refuse to discipline your children and then get upset when we want to put criminals behind bars because "it was their parent's fault". If my kid runs in the street, I explain why he can't. I then tell him why I will spank him if he does it again. I then give him a few chances to make mistakes. I do not allow him the opportunity to make those mistakes when he can get killed. Any parent who allows their child to take off a seat belt without permission is an idiot.
                          My rule was that they could take it off as soon as the engine was turned
                          off -- they didn't have to wait and ask after that.
                          --

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:14:28 -0600, toto <[email protected]> spewed forth complete ignorance when she vomited:
                            So it's better to have your child willing to unbelt themselves whileyou're on the highway?The child did not unbelt themselves when they were on the highway,but after the car had stopped.
                            And a car stops at every red light.
                            Wow, great attitude! Even my four year old knows better than that.The child unbelted his seatbelt after the car was stopped. A threeyear old knows the difference between when the car has stoppedand when it is moving.
                            And that means they can tell the difference between a stop sign and a cop pulling over their dumb *** mother how?
                            I'm assuming that the mother turned the engine off. On those occassions
                            when I've been pulled over by the police, I have always put the car in
                            park and turned the engine off.

And a three year old can certainly tell when an engine has been turned
                            off -- at least in the crappy old cars *I* drive!

meh
                            --

Comment

Arif Khokar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                              chiam margalit wrote:
                              When I returned to CA I got a ticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fine ticket. It was the only moving violation I've ever gotten in CA.
                              Going through a yellow light is not a moving violation. You should have contested and had the case dismissed.

Evidentally you do not live or drive in California. Perhaps in YOUR
                              state it isn't a moving violation (it isn't in MA either) but it IS in
                              CA.

Marjorie

Comment

> That's funny!
                                We lived north of Boston for many years. DH got a job out here in the Bay area, and moved out here while the kids and I stayed in Mass for about six weeks. He came back to help us move. The first day he was back, we drove someplace, and I started to laugh and told him I could tell he'd been driving out of state. He STOPPED at a yellow light -- and where we were living, that could have resulted in getting rear ended.
                                I can relate to that. I currently live near boston, but learned to drive in
                                various midwest states. The first time I saw a rotary in MA, I (gulp)
                                YIELDED at the (what else?) YIELD sign, because the rotary was full of
                                traffic. There were three cars behind me that left black marks as they slid
                                around me or barely stopped in time. One of the drivers behind me was
                                really PISSED, and acted like he was going to deliberately ram me because I
                                idiotically obeyed the law. Gotta love those boston drivers. -Dave

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X