Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[email protected] (nilanjan) wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    In CA SF bay area : I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed limit. Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer. The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for Seatbelt. I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75. I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ? I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to the traffic court to find out more. Thanks in advance ...
    CA has a MINIMUM moving violation ticket price of $271 (or 273, I
    can't recall which). Since you have two such violations, I think you
    got of pretty light as your amount could be well over $500.

My feeling is, if you don't want to pay the price of a moving
    violation, don't speed. It's really pretty simple. I learned how to
    drive in SoCal, and learned early on that following the rules of the
    road in CA is a good thing. When I moved to another state, I got a bit
    lax in my driving abilities, (and that's being kind) because I lived
    in MA, where there is no such thing as a moving violation, and if you
    do get one, it's a measly $20 fine. When I returned to CA I got a
    ticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fine
    ticket. It was the only moving violation I've ever gotten in CA. Once
    bitten, twice shy.

Marjorie

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
      toto <[email protected]> wrote:
      If the child is harshly punished for getting out of bed, this might be the result. Two other possibilities may also result. The child may enter a power struggle with you over this and continue not to go to bed until the punishment escalates to the point where he is injured or the child may learn to sneak out of bed when mom and dad are no longer looking. Punishment teaches children either to be cowed or to be rebellious or to be sneaky depending upon their temperament. The harsher the punishment, the more likely it is that the child's spirit will be broken, but children do endure much and rebel against it.
      Is this post intended as an entry into some sort of World's Stupidest
      Parent contest?

-Sloopy

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Nan says...
        On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:04:25 -0800, Sloopy <[email protected]> wrote:
        In article <[email protected]>, Nan <[email protected]> wrote:
        On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:33:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote: >: That's not what she said. >: Read the second paragraph again. >: I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severely >: punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in an >: emergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm. >: If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommy >: told him to. > >I think you need to give kids a little more credit than that. You're being>unreasonable. That's like saying, mommy and daddy told me to go to bed, now >the house is on fire but I can't get out of bed. What a crock! I don't think so. When there are absolutes, it isn't conducive to a child learning how to use reasoning skills.
        Your kid's IQ is about 76, isn't it?Like mother, like child.-Sloopy
        It's your bedtime and your mommy needs you to shut off the computer.Buh-byeNan

Seems to be a rule - every crossposted thread must include at least one poster
        who posts like a scripted-response 'bot.

Banty

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:25:58 -0500, Nan <[email protected]>
          On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:05:08 GMT, Brandon Sommerville<[email protected]> wrote:
          On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:37:38 -0600, toto <[email protected]>wrote:
          If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the carfast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially ifyou have been knocked unconscious.The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that thechild doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. Andthe problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments isthat you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want toteach.
          So it's better to have your child willing to unbelt themselves whileyou're on the highway? Wow, great attitude! Even my four year oldknows better than that.
          That's not what she said.Read the second paragraph again.I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severelypunished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in anemergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommytold him to.
          Nothing like telling people how to raise their kids over the internet,
          is there?
          Nan

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Al Lewis says...
            That's not what she said.Read the second paragraph again.I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severelypunished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in anemergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommytold him to.Nothing like telling people how to raise their kids over the internet,is there?
            Nan
            You might not be aware, Al, but this thread was cross-posted to misc.kids.
            Internet (USENET, actually) discussion about raising kids is exactly what we're
            about.

Cheers,
            Banty

Comment

On 23 Nov 2003 05:36:03 -0800, Banty <[email protected]>
              That's not what she said.Read the second paragraph again.I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severelypunished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in anemergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommytold him to.Nothing like telling people how to raise their kids over the internet,is there?
              Nan
              You might not be aware, Al, but this thread was cross-posted to misc.kids.Internet (USENET, actually) discussion about raising kids is exactly what we'reabout.
              Oh ****, so not only are people giving advice to others about raising
              kids over the internet, but there are some out there who presumably are
              taking it?

My advice to the ones taking it, would be that they shouldn't have kids
              in the first place.
              Cheers,Banty

Comment

On 23 Nov 2003 05:36:03 -0800, Banty <[email protected]>
                >>That's not what she said.>Read the second paragraph again.>I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severely>punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in an>emergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.>If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommy>told him to.>Nothing like telling people how to raise their kids over the internet,is there?>Nan
                You might not be aware, Al, but this thread was cross-posted to misc.kids.Internet (USENET, actually) discussion about raising kids is exactly what we'reabout.
                Oh ****, so not only are people giving advice to others about raisingkids over the internet, but there are some out there who presumably aretaking it?My advice to the ones taking it, would be that they shouldn't have kidsin the first place.
                I'll decline that advice ;-)

Banty (see that was easy....)

Comment

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 06:24:22 -0700, Al Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:
                  On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:25:58 -0500, Nan <[email protected]>
                  On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:05:08 GMT, Brandon Sommerville<[email protected]> wrote:
                  On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:37:38 -0600, toto <[email protected]>wrote:>If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the car>fast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially if>you have been knocked unconscious.>>The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that the>child doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. And>the problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments is>that you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want to>teach.So it's better to have your child willing to unbelt themselves whileyou're on the highway? Wow, great attitude! Even my four year oldknows better than that.
                  That's not what she said.Read the second paragraph again.I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severelypunished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in anemergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommytold him to.
                  Nothing like telling people how to raise their kids over the internet,is there?
                  Al, this thread is crossposted to misc.kids, a parenting group.
                  The issue was raised, and several of us are responding to it.

Nan

Comment

[email protected] (chiam margalit) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
                    In CA SF bay area : I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed limit. Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer. The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for Seatbelt. I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75. I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ? I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to the traffic court to find out more. Thanks in advance ...
                    CA has a MINIMUM moving violation ticket price of $271 (or 273, I can't recall which). Since you have two such violations, I think you got of pretty light as your amount could be well over $500. My feeling is, if you don't want to pay the price of a moving violation, don't speed. It's really pretty simple. I learned how to drive in SoCal, and learned early on that following the rules of the road in CA is a good thing. When I moved to another state, I got a bit lax in my driving abilities, (and that's being kind) because I lived in MA, where there is no such thing as a moving violation, and if you do get one, it's a measly $20 fine. When I returned to CA I got a ticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fine ticket. It was the only moving violation I've ever gotten in CA. Once bitten, twice shy. Marjorie
                    State DMVs are running amuck with rulings and fines based on whimsey.
                    Website www. theusmat has pages of documentation of their abuses.
                    Their authority has got to be reigned in.

LJK

Comment

In CA SF bay area : I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed limit. Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer. The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for Seatbelt. I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75. I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ?
                      There are set fees for each violation - I think it is minimum of ~$270
                      for the speeding ticket - the rest is for unrestrained child. Either
                      way, it is steep...

Where was the ticket issued? In the Bay area, you often the option of
                      fighting the ticket by doing a "trial by written statement". What you
                      do is submit your end of the story, the officer submits his, and a
                      judge then decides whom to believe. The advantage in doing this is
                      that the cops are so backed up and overworked, they never submit their
                      paperwork....and your case is dismissed. I did this for a double
                      ticket issued in Sunnyvale on HWY 85 - County cop. I wasn't guilty,
                      so decided to try to fight it. My case was dissmissed as above and my
                      bail returned.

Good luck,
                      -L.

Comment

Al Lewis wrote:
                        Oh ****, so not only are people giving advice to others about raising kids over the internet, but there are some out there who presumably are taking it?
                        That's because there are posters (like the original one here, dummy) who
                        cross-posted to a child-parenting newsgroup.

John

--
                        To reply, remove "die.spammers" from address

Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

Comment

chiam margalit wrote:
                          When I returned to CA I got a ticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fine ticket. It was the only moving violation I've ever gotten in CA.
                          Going through a yellow light is not a moving violation. You should have
                          contested and had the case dismissed.

Comment

To clarify the child was in a booster seat, but had got down when the
                            car stopped.

The question was mainly to get an idea on the amount of fine. Since
                            I have been driving in CA for 10+ years and have very few tickets to
                            be able to remember the amounts of the fines...

Thanks to all who have replied ... especially the last few responses
                            which were relevant to the topic!!

The others went off tangent ..either trying to disciple others over
                            the internet or vent their own frustations in child rearing or
                            sometimes just showing their inner anger or pent up aggressiveness ??
                            over the internet...

BTW ... I think I am the best parent one can be !!! Lets not go off
                            track into free parenting lessons over the internet ..

Comment

In article <[email protected] >,
                              chiam margalit <[email protected]> wrote:
                              My feeling is, if you don't want to pay the price of a movingviolation, don't speed. It's really pretty simple. I learned how todrive in SoCal, and learned early on that following the rules of theroad in CA is a good thing. When I moved to another state, I got a bitlax in my driving abilities, (and that's being kind) because I livedin MA, where there is no such thing as a moving violation, and if youdo get one, it's a measly $20 fine. When I returned to CA I got aticket for going through a yellow light, and got that minimum fineticket. It was the only moving violation I've ever gotten in CA. Oncebitten, twice shy.
                              If not speeding (and otherwise following the law) is such a good way
                              to avoid getting a ticket for a moving violation, how do you explain
                              getting one for an act which is not illegal (going through a yellow
                              light)? Are we supposed to know and follow all the nonexistent laws
                              as well as the real ones?
                              --
                              Matthew T. Russotto [email protected]
                              "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
                              of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
                              a modicum of security is a very expensive vice.

Comment

: Are we supposed to know and follow all the nonexistent laws
                                : as well as the real ones?

Only in the People's Republic of Boulder.
                                --
                                ColoradoSkiBum

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X