Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In article <[email protected] .net>,
    "Dave C." <[email protected]> wrote:
    This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with the flow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time, this particular day I got lucky, as I was wearing the seatbelt when I was stopped. After the cop came to my window, he very politely explained that he had stopped me for speeding, told me how fast he had measured my speed at and asked me for my license and registration. I immediately complied with his request for my license and registration, but had to remove my seatbelt to retrieve my license and registration. The cop was watching me as I removed my seatbelt to comply with his request. Luckily, I was not ticketed for speeding, probably because the cop ran a record check and found out my record was spotless for many years. But he gave me a written warning for not wearing my seat belt. (!) -Dave
    Wow!

I've read a lot of posts on Usenet.

This is one of the dumbest.

-Sloopy

Comment

"Dave C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected] link.net...
      This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with the flow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time,
      this
      particular day I got lucky, as I was wearing the seatbelt when I was stopped. After the cop came to my window, he very politely explained that he had stopped me for speeding, told me how fast he had measured my speed
      at
      and asked me for my license and registration. I immediately complied with his request for my license and registration, but had to remove my seatbelt to retrieve my license and registration. The cop was watching me as I removed my seatbelt to comply with his request. Luckily, I was not
      ticketed
      for speeding, probably because the cop ran a record check and found out my record was spotless for many years. But he gave me a written warning for not wearing my seat belt. (!) -Dave
      This happened to me. I took my seatbelt off to get my registration and the
      cop was going to write me up for not having a seatbelt on. I told him he
      could write me up for speeding but not for the seatbelt. I always have it
      on and I only took it off to get the registration when he asked for it at my
      window. He was standing right there when I took it off, though it was dark.
      Anyway, I now know to keep it on and make a point of taking it off if it
      ever happens again.

Comment

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:12:42 -0800, Sloopy <[email protected]> wrote:
        In article <[email protected]> , [email protected] (nilanjan) wrote:
        Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.
        Then your inability to properly supervise your child is going to costyou a few bucks.Let's hope that motivates you to turn your unruly 5 year old into anobedient 5 year old.If it doesn't, the costs of his unruliness is only going to go up.
        Hey, come on! My brother in law would say the kid was just being a
        kid.

On the other hand, my brother in law is an *******, who has an *******
        11-year old boy. A kid who is that way because when he was 10 his
        father was too stupid to discipline him. And when he was 9, and 8,
        and 7, and 6 ...

Some of us in the family expect him to be arrested by 16, I know it
        will be long before that.

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:22:00 GMT, "Dave C."
          <[email protected]> wrote:
          It's saving you money and grief in the long run. If you address your seatbelt and speeding issues because of the highfine, you
          can go on with your life. If you don't, you're risking death or serious injury to the child. So pay up and get it together. Banty
          I take it you don't have children, or you wouldn't have made such a stupidargument. The child took the seatbelt off when the car was stopped. It ismost likely that no seatbelt law was even violated.
          Not the point. A 5 year old should not be allowed to take off a seat
          belt. My 3 year old can, but knows he will be severely punished if he
          does. He must ask first, and must wait for a response.

Now, we could argue that the 5 year old is normal. That may be true
          in fact. All that shows is that normal parents are incapable of
          raising children correctly.

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:59:03 GMT, DTJ <[email protected]> wrote:
            Not the point. A 5 year old should not be allowed to take off a seatbelt. My 3 year old can, but knows he will be severely punished if hedoes. He must ask first, and must wait for a response.
            If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the car
            fast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially if
            you have been knocked unconscious.

The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that the
            child doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. And
            the problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments is
            that you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want to
            teach.

--
            Dorothy

There is no sound, no cry in all the world
            that can be heard unless someone listens ..

The Outer Limits

Comment

: But he gave me a written warning for
              : > not wearing my seat belt. (!) -Dave
              :
              : This happened to me. I took my seatbelt off to get my registration and
              the
              : cop was going to write me up for not having a seatbelt on. I told him he
              : could write me up for speeding but not for the seatbelt. I always have it
              : on and I only took it off to get the registration when he asked for it at
              my
              : window. He was standing right there when I took it off, though it was
              dark.
              : Anyway, I now know to keep it on and make a point of taking it off if it
              : ever happens again.

That sucks! He probably didn't see you take it off. My husband has shared
              the many rules for "making a cop comfortable when you get pulled over" (he
              has talked his way out of more tickets than I've ever even gotten, and I
              have a few of them!). One of those is, never remove your seatbelt until the
              cop asks for your registration, and when s/he does ask, tell her that you're
              going to remove your seatbelt and open the glove compartment, okay? (Other
              tips, if anyone's interested: When you get pulled over, roll your window
              down about 1/3 of the way, and keep both hands on the steering wheel as s/he
              approaches your car. Nothing's scarier to a cop than a person whose hands
              they can't see.)
              --
              ColoradoSkiBum

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:37:38 -0600, toto <[email protected]>
                wrote:
                If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the carfast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially ifyou have been knocked unconscious.The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that thechild doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. Andthe problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments isthat you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want toteach.
                So it's better to have your child willing to unbelt themselves while
                you're on the highway? Wow, great attitude! Even my four year old
                knows better than that.
                --
                Brandon Sommerville
                remove ".gov" to e-mail

Definition of "Lottery":
                Millions of stupid people contributing
                to make one stupid person look smart.

Comment

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:05:08 GMT, Brandon Sommerville
                  On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:37:38 -0600, toto <[email protected]>wrote:
                  If you get in an accident and the child needs to get out of the carfast, I hope he doesn't wait for you to tell him its ok especially ifyou have been knocked unconscious.The problem with hard and fast rules and obedience is that thechild doesn't learn how to judge when things are ok to do. Andthe problem with punishment, especially harsh punishments isthat you will be teaching unintended lessons you don't want toteach.
                  So it's better to have your child willing to unbelt themselves whileyou're on the highway? Wow, great attitude! Even my four year oldknows better than that.
                  That's not what she said.
                  Read the second paragraph again.
                  I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severely
                  punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in an
                  emergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.
                  If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommy
                  told him to.

Nan

Comment

: That's not what she said.
                    : Read the second paragraph again.
                    : I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severely
                    : punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in an
                    : emergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.
                    : If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommy
                    : told him to.

I think you need to give kids a little more credit than that. You're being
                    unreasonable. That's like saying, mommy and daddy told me to go to bed, now
                    the house is on fire but I can't get out of bed. What a crock!
                    --
                    ColoradoSkiBum

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:33:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum"
                      : That's not what she said.: Read the second paragraph again.: I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severely: punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in an: emergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.: If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommy: told him to.I think you need to give kids a little more credit than that. You're beingunreasonable. That's like saying, mommy and daddy told me to go to bed, nowthe house is on fire but I can't get out of bed. What a crock!
                      I don't think so. When there are absolutes, it isn't conducive to a
                      child learning how to use reasoning skills.

Nan

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                        Nan <[email protected]> wrote:
                        On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:33:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote:
                        : That's not what she said.: Read the second paragraph again.: I could easily see a child who's been taught they will be "severely: punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to do so in an: emergency situation, therefore, coming to more potential harm.: If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid would remain, since mommy: told him to.I think you need to give kids a little more credit than that. You're beingunreasonable. That's like saying, mommy and daddy told me to go to bed, nowthe house is on fire but I can't get out of bed. What a crock!
                        I don't think so. When there are absolutes, it isn't conducive to a child learning how to use reasoning skills.
                        Your kid's IQ is about 76, isn't it?

Like mother, like child.

-Sloopy

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:04:25 -0800, Sloopy <[email protected]> wrote:
                          In article <[email protected]>, Nan <[email protected]> wrote:
                          On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:33:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote:
                          I don't think so. When there are absolutes, it isn't conducive to a child learning how to use reasoning skills.
                          Your kid's IQ is about 76, isn't it?Like mother, like child.-Sloopy
                          It's your bedtime and your mommy needs you to shut off the computer.
                          Buh-bye

Nan

Comment

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:05:08 GMT, Brandon Sommerville
                            On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:37:38 -0600, toto <[email protected]icked.witch>wrote:
                            So it's better to have your child willing to unbelt themselves whileyou're on the highway?
                            The child did not unbelt themselves when they were on the highway,
                            but after the car had stopped.
                            Wow, great attitude! Even my four year old knows better than that.
                            The child unbelted his seatbelt after the car was stopped. A three
                            year old knows the difference between when the car has stopped
                            and when it is moving.

Mine knew that we were not going anywhere until they got they
                            were in their carseats and had their seatbelts on very early because
                            if they unbelted while we were moving we stopped the car and
                            didn't go again until they were seat belted. No punishment was
                            necessary, that was enough.

They also knew that when we arrived they could unbelt themselves
                            or wait for us to do it. It was unnecessary to punish them for
                            taking belts off since they learned quite quickly that the car didn't
                            move unless everyone in the car had their seatbelt on.

And they learned also to have good judgement about when to take
                            it off and when to leave it on.

--
                            Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Comment

In article <[email protected]>,
                              Nan <[email protected]> wrote:
                              On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:04:25 -0800, Sloopy <[email protected]> wrote:
                              In article <[email protected]>, Nan <[email protected]> wrote:
                              On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:33:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum" <[email protected]> wrote: >: That's not what she said. Read the second paragraph again. I >: could easily see a child who's been taught they will be >: "severely punished" for removing a seatbelt, being reluctant to >: do so in an emergency situation, therefore, coming to more >: potential harm. If the car is wrecked, or on fire, the kid >: would remain, since mommy told him to. > >I think you need to give kids a little more credit than that. >You're being unreasonable. That's like saying, mommy and daddy >told me to go to bed, now the house is on fire but I can't get >out of bed. What a crock! I don't think so. When there are absolutes, it isn't conducive to a child learning how to use reasoning skills.
                              Your kid's IQ is about 76, isn't it?Like mother, like child.-Sloopy
                              It's your bedtime and your mommy needs you to shut off the computer. Buh-bye
                              Is this the kind of crap we get on ca.driving when pinheads from
                              misc.kids are allowed in?

Look, Nan, you seem to think your child's an idiot. You must know it
                              better than I do, so I'm agreeing with you.

WTF is your problem?

-Sloopy

Comment

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:33:31 -0700, "ColoradoSkiBum"
                                If the child is harshly punished for getting out of bed, this might
                                be the result. Two other possibilities may also result. The child
                                may enter a power struggle with you over this and continue not
                                to go to bed until the punishment escalates to the point where
                                he is injured or the child may learn to sneak out of bed when mom
                                and dad are no longer looking. Punishment teaches children
                                either to be cowed or to be rebellious or to be sneaky depending
                                upon their temperament. The harsher the punishment, the more
                                likely it is that the child's spirit will be broken, but children do
                                endure much and rebel against it.

--
                                Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                                Working...
                                X