Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving speed child seatbelt violation $430 ??

In CA SF bay area :

I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed
    limit.

Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the
    seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.

The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for
    Seatbelt.
    I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.

I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is
    so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ?

I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to
    the traffic court to find out more.

Thanks in advance ...

In article <[email protected]> , nilanjan says...
    In CA SF bay area :I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speedlimit.Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken theseatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC forSeatbelt.I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount isso high and how can I get a break up of the amount ?
    It's saving you money and grief in the long run.

If you address your seatbelt and speeding issues because of the high fine, you
    can go on with your life.

If you don't, you're risking death or serious injury to the child.

So pay up and get it together.

Banty

Comment

"nilanjan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
      news:[email protected] m...
      : In CA SF bay area :
      :
      : I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed
      : limit.
      :
      : Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the
      : seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.
      :
      : The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for
      : Seatbelt.
      : I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.
      :
      : I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is
      : so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ?
      :
      : I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to
      : the traffic court to find out more.
      :
      : Thanks in advance ...

Well, it's high because California apparently is very serious about kids
      having their seat belts on. Or maybe they're using that as a way to solve
      the budget crisis. Sadly for you, I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
      You can explain until you're blue in the face that your kid took the seat
      belt off after you got pulled over, but you're going to have to convince the
      judge of that. Maybe they would do a probation sort of thing--let you off
      the hook this time, with the understanding that there will be no leniency
      whatsoever if there's ever a next time.
      --
      ColoradoSkiBum

Comment

Hi -

About the speeding part, just pay.

About the seatbelt part ... see if you can get reliable, credible people
        to testify that yes, you always require your child to have his seatbelt
        on when the car is in motion, and yes, your child hates the seatbelt and
        removes it the second the motor is turned off. (Or whatever is accurate
        about your child.) In other words, have some evidence that you don't go
        around with your child loose in the car, and see if the judge believes
        you.

Good luck,
        --Beth Kevles
        [email protected]
        http://web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html -- a page for the milk-allergic
        Disclaimer: Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
        advice. Please consult with your own medical practicioner.

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the AOL one if you would
        like me to reply.

Comment

In article <[email protected]> ,
          [email protected] (nilanjan) wrote:
          Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.
          Then your inability to properly supervise your child is going to cost
          you a few bucks.

Let's hope that motivates you to turn your unruly 5 year old into an
          obedient 5 year old.

If it doesn't, the costs of his unruliness is only going to go up.

-Sloopy

Comment

nilanjan! wrote:
            In CA SF bay area :
            I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed limit.
            Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.
            The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for Seatbelt. I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.
            I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ?
            I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to the traffic court to find out more.
            Thanks in advance ...

FWIW, there are no laws requiring a seat belt while the vehicle is stopped.
            Since the officer could problably not see the child was wearing the seat
            belt, you could challenge his observations in court.

In Texas, they cite you for not wearing a belt even if the vehicle is not
            required to have one.
            I guess they figure if they don't see the shoulder harness, you're not
            wearing it.
            I've heard of officers citing drivers for no seatbelts in antique cars built
            before there were seatbelts.

Comment

> It's saving you money and grief in the long run.
              If you address your seatbelt and speeding issues because of the high
              fine, you
              can go on with your life. If you don't, you're risking death or serious injury to the child. So pay up and get it together. Banty
              I take it you don't have children, or you wouldn't have made such a stupid
              argument. The child took the seatbelt off when the car was stopped. It is
              most likely that no seatbelt law was even violated.

This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with the
              flow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time, this
              particular day I got lucky, as I was wearing the seatbelt when I was
              stopped. After the cop came to my window, he very politely explained that
              he had stopped me for speeding, told me how fast he had measured my speed at
              and asked me for my license and registration. I immediately complied with
              his request for my license and registration, but had to remove my seatbelt
              to retrieve my license and registration. The cop was watching me as I
              removed my seatbelt to comply with his request. Luckily, I was not ticketed
              for speeding, probably because the cop ran a record check and found out my
              record was spotless for many years. But he gave me a written warning for
              not wearing my seat belt. (!) -Dave

Comment

In article <[email protected] .net>, Dave C.
                says...
                It's saving you money and grief in the long run. If you address your seatbelt and speeding issues because of the high
                fine, you
                can go on with your life. If you don't, you're risking death or serious injury to the child. So pay up and get it together. Banty
                I take it you don't have children, or you wouldn't have made such a stupidargument. The child took the seatbelt off when the car was stopped. It ismost likely that no seatbelt law was even violated.
                Yes I have a child and you should refer to HCN's post as to how the OP should
                solve this problem.
                This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with theflow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time,
                You're taking your life in your hands as well. It's difficult to take seriously
                someone who has admitted to such poor judgement.

Banty

Comment

> You're taking your life in your hands as well. It's difficult to take
                  seriously
                  someone who has admitted to such poor judgement. Banty
                  Life is risk, Banty. If I wore a seat belt all the time, I'd probably wear
                  a safety helmet to post on usenet, also. After all, you never know when a
                  meteor might crash through your roof and hit you on the head. Better safe
                  than sorry. I'm kidding, of course. I'm debating whether to hit the
                  "send" button, as, with my luck, it will soon be law to wear PPE while
                  surfing the Internet. -Dave

Comment

Dave C. wrote:
                    Life is risk, Banty. If I wore a seat belt all the time, I'd probably wear a safety helmet to post on usenet, also. After all, you never know when a meteor might crash through your roof and hit you on the head. Better safe than sorry. I'm kidding, of course. I'm debating whether to hit the "send" button, as, with my luck, it will soon be law to wear PPE while surfing the Internet. -Dave
                    A splash shield on the keyboard and monitor to avoid damage when
                    lauphing at posts while drinking is probably a good idea....

(BTW, has anyone got a good .signature tagline for
                    "Don't drink and post"?)

--
                    This account is subject to a persistent MS Blaster and SWEN attack.
                    I think I've got the problem resolved, but, if you E-mail me
                    and it bounces, a second try might work.
                    However, please reply in newsgroup.

Comment

nilanjan wrote:
                      In CA SF bay area : I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed limit. Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer. The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for Seatbelt. I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.
                      My $.02. (This computer is sold old that I can't reliably
                      look at the CVC while posting, so I haven't check the precise
                      meaning of 27360.5.)

I also don't know if that seatbelt violation is a "points" offense.

However, I'd probably take traffic school on the speeding ticket
                      and fight the seatbelt ticket. It's likely that the officer
                      DIDN'T see whether your child was wearing the seatbelt, and
                      you may be able to present evidence that he COULDN'T HAVE
                      SEEN it. However, if it's a child seat violation, (which it
                      may be -- the last time I checked it was *6* years or 60 pounds,
                      but I don't know the effective date of that law), you're dead --
                      and you're lucky they didn't tack on "child endangerment".
                      I think this is very high ! Any pointers / ideas on why this amount is so high and how can I get a break up of the amount ? I havent been able to get details over phone and am planning to go to the traffic court to find out more. Thanks in advance ...
                      --
                      This account is subject to a persistent MS Blaster and SWEN attack.
                      I think I've got the problem resolved, but, if you E-mail me
                      and it bounces, a second try might work.
                      However, please reply in newsgroup.

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Arthur L. Rubin says...
                        Dave C. wrote:
                        Life is risk, Banty. If I wore a seat belt all the time, I'd probably wear a safety helmet to post on usenet, also. After all, you never know when a meteor might crash through your roof and hit you on the head. Better safe than sorry. I'm kidding, of course. I'm debating whether to hit the "send" button, as, with my luck, it will soon be law to wear PPE while surfing the Internet. -Dave
                        A splash shield on the keyboard and monitor to avoid damage whenlauphing at posts while drinking is probably a good idea....
                        No splash shield?

Oh, sorry - here Arthur. You can use the one I used as an EMT when I extricated
                        these guys from their steering columns. It might be a tad close to your face,
                        though - it's made to stop the spatter coming in, not going out.

Banty (meteors! tee hee - I don't remember responding to any meteor incidents)

Comment

In <[email protected]>,
                          Arthur L. Rubin <[email protected]> wrote:

*nilanjan wrote:
                          *>
                          *> In CA SF bay area :
                          *>
                          *> I got cited for driving at approx 60 mph at a street with 50mph speed
                          *> limit.
                          *>
                          *> Also I had my unruly 5 yr old kid in the backseat who had taken the
                          *> seatbelt off after I was pulled over by the police officer.
                          *>
                          *> The officer cited me (1)22350 CVC for speed and (2) 27360.5 CVC for
                          *> Seatbelt.
                          *> I got a notice in the mail to pay a bail of $427.75.
                          *My $.02. (This computer is sold old that I can't reliably
                          *look at the CVC while posting, so I haven't check the precise
                          *meaning of 27360.5.)

The code covers child restraints and seatbelts. It says "A first offense
                          under this section is punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100),
                          except that the court may reduce or waive the fine if the defendant
                          establishes to the satisfaction of the court that he or she is
                          economically disadvantaged..." so this is not where the money is.

--
                          hillary israeli vmd http://www.hillary.net [email protected]
                          "uber vaccae in quattuor partes divisum est."
                          not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large

Comment

Shouldn't he/she have been in a booster seat too?

Comment

On 22 Nov 2003 05:44:12 -0800, Banty <[email protected]> wrote:
                              This reminds me of one time I was stopped for "speeding" (going with theflow of traffic). While I only wear my seatbelt about 50% of the time,You're taking your life in your hands as well. It's difficult to take seriouslysomeone who has admitted to such poor judgement.
                              You are freaking idiot.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X