X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Must Register As A Sex Offender Even Without A Conviction

In article <[email protected] >,
    [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
    Why wouldn't I understand the wording? Its still double jeopardy.
    No, it's not. "Double jeopardy" refers solely to the instance of being
    charged and tried more than once on the same count.

The wisdom of some applications of notification laws (like this one) may
    be suspect, but those laws aren't unconstitutional in any sense, and
    while the notion of "you've done your time, now you can move on" may be
    a popular one, it isn't a legal one. It never has been.

Felonies carry all sorts of requirements following incarceration
    (probabtion, registration, restrictions on movement, loss of voting
    rights, etc.), some more than others, and registration-plus-notification
    is now one of them for some crimes that indicate, generally, the high
    probability of future danger to the community.

And it's perfectly legal.

--Robert

--
    Do not sit next to Dennis

Man Must Register As A Sex Offender Even Without A Conviction

Robert Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    In article <[email protected] >, [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
    No, it's not. "Double jeopardy" refers solely to the instance of being charged and tried more than once on the same count.
    He is being punished twice for the same crime if he is forced to register
    and he is harrassed by his neighbors.
    The wisdom of some applications of notification laws (like this one) may be suspect, but those laws aren't unconstitutional in any sense, and while the notion of "you've done your time, now you can move on" may be a popular one, it isn't a legal one. It never has been.
    Its a moral one. We try them, we convict them, they do their time and then
    after probation they should be left alone.
    Felonies carry all sorts of requirements following incarceration (probabtion, registration, restrictions on movement, loss of voting rights, etc.), some more than others, and registration-plus-notification is now one of them for some crimes that indicate, generally, the high probability of future danger to the community.
    But with most crimes probation, restriction of movement etc. end when the
    probation ends. After that time the person should not be bothered by the
    state of neighbors.
    And it's perfectly legal. --Robert
    Sure it is but that does not make it right. Its legal for women to legally
    abandon their children NO questions asked..but that does not make it right.

Comment

In article <[email protected] >,
      [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
      In article <[email protected] >, [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
      No, it's not. "Double jeopardy" refers solely to the instance of being charged and tried more than once on the same count.
      He is being punished twice for the same crime if he is forced to register and he is harrassed by his neighbors.
      (A) As I pointed out, and you ignored, "double jeopardy" refers
      specifically to trial and (B) no, this isn't being "punished twice."
      It's an ongoing phase of the punishment.
      Its legal for women to legally abandon their children NO questions asked..
      Uh...no, it's not.

--Robert

--

Comment

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Robert Lee
        <[email protected]> wrote:
        In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
        [...]

Its legal for women to legally abandon their children NO questions asked..Uh...no, it's not.
        I guess that depends on where you are.

---------------------------------------

http://www.religioustolerance.org/saf_have.htm

"SAVE HAVEN" LAWS"

DECRIMINALIZING THE ABANDONMENT OF NEWBORNS

"Safe Haven" laws:
        By 2003-MAR-11, 42 states had enacted "save haven" laws which permit a person --
        usually a parent -- to abandon a newborn baby, at a specified location. This may
        be a hospital, firehouse, or police station. State laws differ:

Some states allow a newborn to be simply handed to a doctor or police officer.
        The threat of criminal prosecution may be either reduced or eliminated,
        depending on the state.
        Some state laws allow the parent to remain anonymous; others require the person
        who receives the newborn to attempt to establish the identity of the parent and
        obtain a medical history.
        Some states place a limit on the age of the newborn who can be abandoned. The
        intent of this limit is to emphasize the importance of surrendering a newborn to
        a place quickly where he or she can receive proper care. If a parent is hiding
        their baby, it may not be receiving proper care and food.

The Safe Place for Newborns web site has a map of the U.S. that allows you to
        click on your state and find out details about its safe haven law. 1

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.naplesnews.com/03/08/florida/d970330a.htm

Safe Haven laws promoted to help protect abandoned babies

Monday, August 25, 2003

By HOLLY HICKMAN, Associated Press

MIAMI — The call came in at 1 p.m. The volunteer who answered assured the young
        woman that, yes, she could abandon her baby. Legally.

Following the volunteer's instructions, the newborn's mother went to a fire
        station — no names, no questions, no arrest — and said goodbye to her daughter.

A few days later, baby Gloria Hope had a new home

[...]

========================

Rich

--Robert

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Rich
          <[email protected]> wrote:
          On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Robert Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
          In article <[email protected]ng.google.com>, [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
          [...]
          Its legal for women to legally abandon their children NO questions asked..Uh...no, it's not.
          I guess that depends on where you are. --------------------------------------- http://www.religioustolerance.org/saf_have.htm "SAVE HAVEN" LAWS" DECRIMINALIZING THE ABANDONMENT OF NEWBORNS
          Ah, god, I'd forgotten about that stupid ****. My bad.

So, somebody want to argue why women should have the legal ability to do
          this and men shouldn't?

--Robert

--

Comment

In article <[email protected]>, Rich <[email protected]> wrote:
            On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Robert Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
            In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Sky King) wrote:
            [...]
            > Its legal for women to legally> abandon their children NO questions asked..Uh...no, it's not.
            I guess that depends on where you are. --------------------------------------- http://www.religioustolerance.org/saf_have.htm "SAVE HAVEN" LAWS" DECRIMINALIZING THE ABANDONMENT OF NEWBORNS
            Ah, god, I'd forgotten about that stupid ****. My bad. So, somebody want to argue why women should have the legal ability to do this and men shouldn't? --Robert

They will simply say that the law IS gender neutral when we all know it is not.
            Feminist also say the VAWA is gender neutral when we all know it is not.
            As long as women can opt out of parenthood men should have the same option.

Comment

"Sky King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:[email protected] om...
              Robert Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:<[email protected]>...
              In article <[email protected]>, Rich <[email protected]> wrote:
              On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Robert Lee <[email protected]> wrote: >In article <[email protected] >, >[email protected] (Sky King) wrote: [...] >> Its legal for women to legally >> abandon their children NO questions asked.. > >Uh...no, it's not. I guess that depends on where you are. --------------------------------------- http://www.religioustolerance.org/saf_have.htm "SAVE HAVEN" LAWS" DECRIMINALIZING THE ABANDONMENT OF NEWBORNS
              Ah, god, I'd forgotten about that stupid ****. My bad. So, somebody want to argue why women should have the legal ability to do this and men shouldn't? --Robert They will simply say that the law IS gender neutral when we all know it is
              not.
              Feminist also say the VAWA is gender neutral when we all know it is not. As long as women can opt out of parenthood men should have the same
              option.

I don't think abandonment should be legal for men or women. Giving a child
              up for adoption however should be legal.

Comment

"Child" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                news:[email protected]
                "Sky King" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
                In article <[email protected]>, Rich <[email protected]> wrote: > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Robert Lee > <[email protected]> wrote: > > >In article <[email protected] >, > >[email protected] (Sky King) wrote: > > [...] > > > >> Its legal for women to legally > >> abandon their children NO questions asked.. > > > >Uh...no, it's not. > > I guess that depends on where you are. > > --------------------------------------- > > http://www.religioustolerance.org/saf_have.htm > > "SAVE HAVEN" LAWS" > > DECRIMINALIZING THE ABANDONMENT OF NEWBORNS Ah, god, I'd forgotten about that stupid ****. My bad. So, somebody want to argue why women should have the legal ability to
                do
                this and men shouldn't? --Robert They will simply say that the law IS gender neutral when we all know it
                is
                not.
                Feminist also say the VAWA is gender neutral when we all know it is not. As long as women can opt out of parenthood men should have the same
                option. I don't think abandonment should be legal for men or women. Giving a child up for adoption however should be legal.

Personally, I think the leaving of a baby at a hospital, fire station, or
                where ever ones state allows is far preferable than the dumping of bodies in
                dumpsters or leaving babies in fields to freeze and starve.

sg

Comment

"stargazer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>.. .
                  "Child" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                  "Sky King" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
                  > In article <[email protected]>, Rich > <[email protected]> wrote: > > > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 19:26:39 GMT, Robert Lee > > <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > >In article <[email protected] >, > > >[email protected] (Sky King) wrote: > > > > [...] > > > > > > >> Its legal for women to legally > > >> abandon their children NO questions asked.. > > > > > >Uh...no, it's not. > > > > I guess that depends on where you are. > > > > --------------------------------------- > > > > http://www.religioustolerance.org/saf_have.htm > > > > "SAVE HAVEN" LAWS" > > > > DECRIMINALIZING THE ABANDONMENT OF NEWBORNS > > Ah, god, I'd forgotten about that stupid ****. My bad. > > So, somebody want to argue why women should have the legal ability to
                  do
                  > this and men shouldn't? > > --Robert They will simply say that the law IS gender neutral when we all know it
                  is not.
                  Feminist also say the VAWA is gender neutral when we all know it is not. As long as women can opt out of parenthood men should have the same option. I don't think abandonment should be legal for men or women. Giving a child up for adoption however should be legal.
                  Personally, I think the leaving of a baby at a hospital, fire station, or where ever ones state allows is far preferable than the dumping of bodies in dumpsters or leaving babies in fields to freeze and starve. sg

Then you support men being able to do the same thing right? You cannot have
                  double standards.

Comment

Sky King <[email protected]> wrote on 30 Sep 2003 06:19:31 -0700:
                    "stargazer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>.. .
                    Personally, I think the leaving of a baby at a hospital, fire station, or where ever ones state allows is far preferable than the dumping of bodies in dumpsters or leaving babies in fields to freeze and starve.
                    sg
                    Then you support men being able to do the same thing right? You cannot have double standards.
                    I think it clear that she does, or would, as do I.

But this particular measure is not about the rights of men or women.
                    It's simply a pragmatic (and sensible) response to the abandoning of new
                    born babies by women who can't cope. It's about saving babies' lives.

In practice, in those (presumably rare) cases where men are left holding
                    the baby, they're able to cope better, since their hormonal systems are
                    not in such chaos as those of women who've just given birth.

I suspect that a man seeking help for a young baby at a hospital/fire
                    station/wherever, would get it. If he was seeking to abandon a baby
                    there, he'd probably manage that too. Again, this probably happens
                    vanishingly rarely.

--
                    Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
                    Email: [email protected]; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter
                    (like "aa"), remove half of them (leaving, say, "a").

Comment

Alan Mackenzie<[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                      Sky King <[email protected]> wrote on 30 Sep 2003 06:19:31 -0700:
                      "stargazer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>.. . Personally, I think the leaving of a baby at a hospital, fire station, or where ever ones state allows is far preferable than the dumping of bodies in dumpsters or leaving babies in fields to freeze and starve. sg Then you support men being able to do the same thing right? You cannot have double standards.
                      I think it clear that she does, or would, as do I. But this particular measure is not about the rights of men or women. It's simply a pragmatic (and sensible) response to the abandoning of new born babies by women who can't cope. It's about saving babies' lives.

Nope..it gives s specific right to women that men do not get. They do
                      not
                      have to show they are a danger to the baby. They can legally abandon,
                      no
                      questions asked and even if the father finds the child and retrieves
                      it, he mother NEVER has to pay CS. It seems to me its just a way to
                      let women opt
                      out of parenthood. Why should a woman give the child to its father
                      when
                      she knows she will be forced to pay CS? Its easier to legally abandon
                      it.
                      In practice, in those (presumably rare) cases where men are left holding the baby, they're able to cope better, since their hormonal systems are not in such chaos as those of women who've just given birth.

They do not have to show that they were LEFT by the father. He may
                      want the
                      child but if they are not married he has NO rights.
                      I suspect that a man seeking help for a young baby at a hospital/fire station/wherever, would get it. If he was seeking to abandon a baby there, he'd probably manage that too. Again, this probably happens vanishingly rarely.
                      Nope...the first thing they would ask is where is the mother. They do
                      not
                      ask where is the father when women drop them off. Women can just say
                      they
                      have no idea who the father is. The man cannot.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X