X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find a person who does not exist????

I was recently scamed by someone on eBay with a 30+ Positive Feedback! Why
    else would I send a Cashiers Check? I had a P.I. friend check on him and
    found out that there is no such person. All I have is an e-mail and a P.O.
    Box to go on. How do I use the START - RUN - "whois" or how do I find the
    out of state P.O. Box person?? Any help appreciated!!!

--
    "Who goes out and says, `You have a better probability of winning the state
    lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last
    year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country
    because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much
    as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create
    things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make
    yourself a better living.' Who tells them this?"
    Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics & SEGWAY!!!

Find a person who does not exist????

Nelson,

If this person had a P. O. Box then the Post office will have his name
    and address on file. No guarantee that this info is not fake though. The
    bank where the check was deposited should have info as well.

Dave M.

Comment

Nelson wrote:
      I was recently scamed by someone on eBay with a 30+ Positive Feedback! Why else would I send a Cashiers Check? I had a P.I. friend check on him and found out that there is no such person. All I have is an e-mail and a P.O. Box to go on. How do I use the START - RUN - "whois" or how do I find the out of state P.O. Box person?? Any help appreciated!!!
      Does the person reply to your emails? Why do you say you were scammed?
      Did he/she fail to send you anything or was it not what you expected?

Ebay encourages pseudonyms for everyone's protection. - RM

Comment

I was recently scamed by someone on eBay with a 30+ Positive Feedback!
        Why
        else would I send a Cashiers Check? I had a P.I. friend check on him and found out that there is no such person.
        must've been someone from this ******* group?

http://www.squaretrade.com/cnt/jsp/o...paign=EBY_OD_1

How do I use the START - RUN - "whois" or how do I find the
        out of state P.O. Box person?? Any help appreciated!!!
        Help yourself first, lazy-***.

How much money were scammed for and what was the item? I have the feeling
        you're not telling us the whole story.

a.. eBay members can't misrepresent their identities.
        a.. eBay members must always provide valid and complete contact information.
        a.. For everyone's safety, members are never permitted to publish the
        contact information of other members in an online public area.
        a.. Every eBay membership must always have a valid email address.
        a.. eBay buyers and sellers must be over the age of 18.
        a.. You can provide your buyers and sellers with additional reassurance by
        registering with our ID Verify program.
        a.. eBay has certain policies regarding choosing your User ID.

Did you ever think to request to request the seller's registration info?
        Once you have establ;ished a sale between the person of interest you can
        immediately get ebay to email the info to you. If any part of it is
        questionable ebay will cancel his account. Had you done your research you
        would already know that, or is it that you're too **** lazy to do it for
        yourself.

I'll make it real easy for you...what is the seller's ebay ID?

Comment

Ebay encourages pseudonyms for everyone's protection. - RM
          OH, horse****!!!

This is their policy:

a.. eBay members can't misrepresent their identities.
          a.. eBay members must always provide valid and complete contact information.
          a.. For everyone's safety, members are never permitted to publish the
          contact information of other members in an online public area.
          a.. Every eBay membership must always have a valid email address.
          a.. eBay buyers and sellers must be over the age of 18.
          a.. You can provide your buyers and sellers with additional reassurance by
          registering with our ID Verify program.
          a.. eBay has certain policies regarding choosing your User ID.

Comment

Nelson wrote:
            I was recently scamed by someone on eBay with a 30+ Positive Feedback! Why else would I send a Cashiers Check? I had a P.I. friend check on him and found out that there is no such person. All I have is an e-mail and a P.O. Box to go on. How do I use the START - RUN - "whois" or how do I find the out of state P.O. Box person?? Any help appreciated!!!
            Send a request of information to the postmaster care of the zip code.
            USPS has a form you can fill out requesting box holders ID.
            You can also contact the bank at which the check was cashed and file federal
            fraud charges against that person.
            Even if they are not the person whom you did business with.
            Your PI didn't do much work for the money. I wouldn't do any more business
            with him.

You might also be able to file charges against ebay but that's a royal long
            shot last resort.

This is not legal advice. If you need legal advice, obtain it by hiring an
            attorney.

Comment

Patty wrote:
              Why
              else would I send a Cashiers Check? I had a P.I. friend check on him and found out that there is no such person.
              must've been someone from this ******* group? http://www.squaretrade.com/cnt/jsp/o...paign=EBY_OD_1
              how secure is it to disclosure one's eBay User Id and eBay password to a
              third party ?

"
              ODR Current User Log In
              If you are involved in a case or have previously been involved
              in a case, please log in.
              You may use your email and SquareTrade password, or your eBay
              User Id and eBay password.
              "

Jack

Comment

I have done all that I know how to do. I have notified eBay Fraud. He does
                not want to do SquareTade arbitration. The Police referred me to the State
                Attorney General. I filed the Internet Fraud form of the FBI. In a few
                weeks/months all of these people will help me, long after he has skipped the
                country with 10s of thousands of dollars. I posted here looking for help as
                to what I could do and I appreciate what help has been given. I don't feel
                that I am lazy as Patty thinks, she knows me so well. Maybe all of my
                houses walked up to me and asked me to buy them. I am a newbie, not lazy,
                just needed some direction. Thanks to anyone who gave me some ideas and no
                thanks to Patty for being so judgmental, I wonder how many houses she owns!!

--
                "Who goes out and says, `You have a better probability of winning the state
                lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last
                year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country
                because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as much
                as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create
                things and build things and help make the world a better place and help make
                yourself a better living.' Who tells them this?"
                Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics & SEGWAY!!!

Comment

Well, that may be hard to do in terms of finding the guy...I had something
                  similar happen to me where a person was able to get into a database where I
                  had bought products from and use my info to buy stuff...he spent about a
                  grand on stuff and thankfully discover card waived all the transactions
                  without any fuss (I'm a long time user of the card though) (if you pay with
                  check, do it through bid pay with a credit card to cover your butt)
                  However, finding the guy was a pain...he made a yahoo wallet account to buy
                  the stuff, and I had to go through hoops to get a supeona even though I
                  have connections in the local PDs...if the crime doesn't occur in the
                  town/city( at least in Chicago), then you have to find where the crime
                  occurred and file a report with that pd and file the subpeona through them
                  before the info on the person will be released...it's a mess,this happened
                  in april 02, and nothing has happened. It's really not a top priority in my
                  pd which is completely understandable to me since it was under a grand and I
                  got my money back...but I wonder how many people he's been able to pull this
                  off on??? This privacy act stinks when you're a victim of fraud.... best
                  of luck! Oh and always look at the positive feedback in terms of seller
                  response, and not overall...you may have better luck that way.
                  "Nelson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                  news:[email protected] ink.net...
                  Why
                  else would I send a Cashiers Check? I had a P.I. friend check on him and found out that there is no such person. All I have is an e-mail and a
                  P.O.
                  Box to go on. How do I use the START - RUN - "whois" or how do I find the out of state P.O. Box person?? Any help appreciated!!! -- "Who goes out and says, `You have a better probability of winning the
                  state
                  lottery than making a nickel in professional sports. And by the way, last year two million exciting technical jobs went unfilled in this country because you weren't there to take that job. And it pays you 10 times as
                  much
                  as flipping burgers, and it's fun and it's exciting and you get to create things and build things and help make the world a better place and help
                  make
                  yourself a better living.' Who tells them this?" Dean Kamen, founder - FIRST Robotics & SEGWAY!!!

Comment

I heard that it was illegal for the post office to give out residental
                    address's of people who have a P.O Box. What I would do is call/mail
                    the post office and make it sound like the guy sold you something(well
                    he did actually) and you never recieved the item so you needed his
                    home address to get ahold of him. You see the post office can't give
                    out residential address's UNLESS they are using the P.O box for
                    business purposes. So the name of the game here is pretext, make it
                    sound like that is what he is doing and they *should* give you the
                    "goods".

Maybe theres a way of getting ahold of him by telling the bank that
                    the check might go bad, or was written for the wrong amount. Again use
                    the pretext of a bad check or what ever else might work.

Comment

Mike wrote :
                      I heard that it was illegal for the post office to give out residental address's of people who have a P.O Box. What I would do is call/mail the post office and make it sound like the guy sold you something(well he did actually) and you never recieved the item so you needed his home address to get ahold of him. You see the post office can't give out residential address's UNLESS they are using the P.O box for business purposes. So the name of the game here is pretext, make it sound like that is what he is doing and they *should* give you the "goods".
                      That's interesting, but I wonder if a phone call saying that the guy
                      is doing mail-order business would be enough to get a home address. I
                      used to work for a notoriously abusive collection agency, and they
                      used to tell me stories from back in the old days before the Fair Debt
                      Collections Practices Act (or whatever it's called), and one of their
                      favorite tricks was to call a post office and rattle something that
                      sounds like a rattlesnake over the phone while explaining that they
                      need the home address of the boxholder so that they won't have to ship
                      live rattlesnakes through the post office. Who knows? it might still
                      work.
                      Maybe theres a way of getting ahold of him by telling the bank that the check might go bad, or was written for the wrong amount. Again use the pretext of a bad check or what ever else might work.
                      If you have an bank account number, you might be able to call the bank
                      and say that you're in business and that one of the checks you
                      received as a payment accidentally got put through the wash in one or
                      your shirt pockets and was almost completely destroyed except for the
                      account number, but you don't know who the check was from since it was
                      posted to your books as received and you don't know which account, and
                      so you need a name so you can contact the customer and ask for a new
                      check.

I strongly advise against trying any of these things without advice
                      from an attorney.

Very Respectfully,
                      Ray

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X