Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Question: Car form Canada BC to California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question: Car form Canada BC to California

    I am a coop student (holding the J-1 visa) form Canada BC and need to complete my coop work term in San Francisco for 8 months.

    I have drove my car here which means it is registered as a BC licence plate. Do I need to purchase any additional car coverage form the insurance company here? well... let's say. I able to do that?

    Also, do I need get a california licence?
    Am I allow to drive my car with my BC licence here for 8 months?

    Plz help Many Thanks

  • #2
    Here's the thing, to save you money and time, don't get a license. Most insurance companys will cover your car in another country such as usa. If you get pulled over just tell the cop that you are on a trip, just visiting.


    • #3
      The usual reciprocal law is 60 days. If you are present in a state longer than 60 days, you must register (and pay their plate TAX) in that state.

      Your license and title vary state to state. Usually a title stays with a permanent residence.

      One thing to not do is cheat on this. Nothing makes a state angrier than unpaid taxes. And since most police cars routinely run license numbers they read, vehicles overstaying the 60 day welcome pop up quickly on their computers.

      There are exceptions to this law. If you leave the state, it starts the 60 day period over (though their computers don't know that you left). And there are a lot of people in border areas who live in one state and work in another state. These items must be filed where you live, not where you work.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.