Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brit and Canuck thinking of Aus and NZ!

Long-time reader, first-time poster - be gentle!

My story of Canada could go on for ages, but this is probably not the
    place for it. However, my head is spinning with what to do next and
    whether I am setting myself up for disappointment.

Here are the main bits:
    I am a 38 y.o. Brit male and my partner is a 40 y.o. Canadienne. Been
    together 18 months, living together in Vancouver for 10 months and my
    work permit expires and I return home to UK in two weeks.

Given that either I have to immigrate to Canada or she has to immigrate
    to UK, we have decided that it is best to consider all options and we
    have included Aus ahead of NZ as places for a new life together. Neither
    of us fancies our native countries and getting married just to live in
    another country does not seem the right way to do it.

However, I now have very little money in the bank and a £10k UK loan to
    service and my partner also has nothing either (previous relationships
    in the past where we both lost everything and gave in to the other half
    to start again!)

She is in office admin and I am a UK registered osteopath. I have been
    in contact with the appropriate osteopathic boards and it is a matter of
    sitting an exam and then applying for registration.

So, here are some questions:
    1. Can we (or should we) apply together for Aus (or NZ) as we are in
    different countries? - we are prepared for me to apply first if
    necessary.
    2. I have no money in the bank and am repaying a loan. Does this
    go against me, even though there are a number of osteopathic
    jobs available? (I have no credit card debt and £15k on them if
    I need it!)

In the ideal world, I would like to head down to Aus/NZ, sit the exam,
    register, apply successfully for immigration, find a position and get on
    with life with my partner.

Location does not matter too much at the moment as I have lived in
    different parts of UK, Montreal and Vancouver and each location is what
    you make of it. I am certainly adaptable, as long as I can practise.

Please feel free to include NZ opinions as well as Aus.

Thank you in advance from the pair of us.

Marc

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Brit and Canuck thinking of Aus and NZ!

Long-time reader, first-time poster - be gentle! My story of Canada could go on for ages, but this is probably not the place for it. However, my head is spinning with what to do next and whether I am setting myself up for disappointment. Here are the main bits: I am a 38 y.o. Brit male and my partner is a 40 y.o. Canadienne. Been together 18 months, living together in Vancouver for 10 months and my work permit expires and I return home to UK in two weeks. Given that either I have to immigrate to Canada or she has to immigrate to UK, we have decided that it is best to consider all options and we have included Aus ahead of NZ as places for a new life together. Neither of us fancies our native countries and getting married just to live in another country does not seem the right way to do it. However, I now have very little money in the bank and a £10k UK loan to service and my partner also has nothing either (previous relationships in the past where we both lost everything and gave in to the other half to start again!) She is in office admin and I am a UK registered osteopath. I have been in contact with the appropriate osteopathic boards and it is a matter of sitting an exam and then applying for registration. So, here are some questions: 1. Can we (or should we) apply together for Aus (or NZ) as we are in different countries? - we are prepared for me to apply first if necessary. 2. I have no money in the bank and am repaying a loan. Does this go against me, even though there are a number of osteopathic jobs available? (I have no credit card debt and £15k on them if I need it!) In the ideal world, I would like to head down to Aus/NZ, sit the exam, register, apply successfully for immigration, find a position and get on with life with my partner. Location does not matter too much at the moment as I have lived in different parts of UK, Montreal and Vancouver and each location is what you make of it. I am certainly adaptable, as long as I can practise. Please feel free to include NZ opinions as well as Aus. Thank you in advance from the pair of us. Marc
    First port of call for you would be the DIMIA website. www.dimia.gov.au

Might be worth considering hiring an agent.

Happy reading.

Claire

--
    claire

Comment

Long-time reader, first-time poster - be gentle! My story of Canada could go on for ages, but this is probably not the place for it. However, my head is spinning with what to do next and whether I am setting myself up for disappointment. Here are the main bits: I am a 38 y.o. Brit male and my partner is a 40 y.o. Canadienne. Been together 18 months, living together in Vancouver for 10 months and my work permit expires and I return home to UK in two weeks. Given that either I have to immigrate to Canada or she has to immigrate to UK, we have decided that it is best to consider all options and we have included Aus ahead of NZ as places for a new life together. Neither of us fancies our native countries and getting married just to live in another country does not seem the right way to do it. However, I now have very little money in the bank and a £10k UK loan to service and my partner also has nothing either (previous relationships in the past where we both lost everything and gave in to the other half to start again!) She is in office admin and I am a UK registered osteopath. I have been in contact with the appropriate osteopathic boards and it is a matter of sitting an exam and then applying for registration. So, here are some questions: 1. Can we (or should we) apply together for Aus (or NZ) as we are in different countries? - we are prepared for me to apply first if necessary. 2. I have no money in the bank and am repaying a loan. Does this go against me, even though there are a number of osteopathic jobs available? (I have no credit card debt and £15k on them if I need it!) In the ideal world, I would like to head down to Aus/NZ, sit the exam, register, apply successfully for immigration, find a position and get on with life with my partner. Location does not matter too much at the moment as I have lived in different parts of UK, Montreal and Vancouver and each location is what you make of it. I am certainly adaptable, as long as I can practise. Please feel free to include NZ opinions as well as Aus. Thank you in advance from the pair of us. Marc
      Hi Marc,

Probably best if you plan to get some initial advice from an agent, as
      Claire says. There are a significant number of issues in all this, not
      the least of which are your relative state of financial health,
      relationship, visa options, etc. If there's a place where osteopath
      jobs are marketed in Australia, you should be frequenting it :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

--
      www.austimmigration.com.au

Comment

Hi Marc, Probably best if you plan to get some initial advice from an agent, as Claire says. There are a significant number of issues in all this, not the least of which are your relative state of financial health, relationship, visa options, etc. If there's a place where osteopath jobs are marketed in Australia, you should be frequenting it :-) Cheers, George Lombard www.austimmigration.com.au
        Thank you for the advice. I have been looking through the DIMIA site and
        the booklets for quite a while and it sometimes does not appear to be
        that clear.

I have 110 points, but judging from the comments elsewhere
        regarding the "pool" and the SIR categories, I could be set for
        disappointment with Aus.

In NZ, osteopaths are on a shortage list, but some of the feedback on NZ
        life does not (initially) seem as appetising as Aus.

38 y.o., 10 years experience and past my sell-by date! Eeek!

--

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have been looking through the DIMIA site and the booklets for quite a while and it sometimes does not appear to be that clear. I have 110 points, but judging from the comments elsewhere regarding the "pool" and the SIR categories, I could be set for disappointment with Aus. In NZ, osteopaths are on a shortage list, but some of the feedback on NZ life does not (initially) seem as appetising as Aus. 38 y.o., 10 years experience and past my sell-by date! Eeek!
          If you can find an Australian employer keen to hire you and sponsor for
          permanent residence you may be able to go for ENS/RSMS and forget about
          SIR and the points test.

Download and read booklet 5.

Jeremy

--
          This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction

Comment

If you can find an Australian employer keen to hire you and sponsor for permanent residence you may be able to go for ENS/RSMS and forget about SIR and the points test. Download and read booklet 5. Jeremy
            Thank you kindly - I have not read this booklet yet. I did send a
            question to South Australia/Adelaide regarding SIR yesterday.

--

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X