• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skill assesment

Hello all,

Im preparing my skills assesment and im conserned about the wording in
    the ASCO occupation description.

Im an Aircraft Fitter but the closest i can get to that in the SOL is :-

4114-13 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Structures)

Inspects, disassembles and reassembles aircraft structures, and repairs
    and replaces components of aircraft frames.

Skill Level:

The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or
    higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Tasks Include:

positions parts and sub-assemblies such as fuselage, wing or tail
    components, fuel tanks, landing gear, safety systems and internal
    fittings on working surfaces, part-assembled airframes or assembly jigs,
    using hoists

lays out and marks reference points or guidelines, and aligns parts

assembles parts and sub-assemblies

supervises welding of components

verifies alignments, clearances and quality of finish after final
    assembly, by visual inspection and measurement, and rectifies faults

replaces and repairs worn and damaged structural parts

maintains records of action taken

Skill Level:

The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III?? or
    higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.??

This is essentially my job description I served a recognised
    apprenticship with British Aerospace and have the relevant C+G
    Qualification but I am not licenced or registered.

Registation or licensing with who or what?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

skill assesment

Hi Chris,

Looks like you have found one possible ASCO code, but it depends on what you
    actually do. You might in fact be a fitter, there's no practical
    difference. Do you have an apprenticeship to go with your C+G? If not, how
    many years of work experience?

Cheers

George Lombard
    --
    www.austimmigration.com.au

"Chris W" <[email protected]_expats.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    Hello all, Im preparing my skills assesment and im conserned about the wording in the ASCO occupation description. Im an Aircraft Fitter but the closest i can get to that in the SOL is :- 4114-13 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Structures) Inspects, disassembles and reassembles aircraft structures, and repairs and replaces components of aircraft frames. Skill Level: The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required. Tasks Include: positions parts and sub-assemblies such as fuselage, wing or tail components, fuel tanks, landing gear, safety systems and internal fittings on working surfaces, part-assembled airframes or assembly jigs, using hoists lays out and marks reference points or guidelines, and aligns parts assembles parts and sub-assemblies supervises welding of components verifies alignments, clearances and quality of finish after final assembly, by visual inspection and measurement, and rectifies faults replaces and repairs worn and damaged structural parts maintains records of action taken Skill Level: The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III?? or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.?? This is essentially my job description I served a recognised apprenticship with British Aerospace and have the relevant C+G Qualification but I am not licenced or registered. Registation or licensing with who or what? Can anyone shed any light on this? -- Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

skill assesment

I served an apprenticship with British Aerospace(now Bae systems) and I
      have 13 years experience.

I have already looked at the ASCO code 4112-11 Fitter, but the
      occupation description includes things I have little or no experience
      of. The thing is I dont want to apply under a code that I cant back up
      with my employer references which I understand must include a
      description of duties and task performed.

Still dont know what this registration/licensing thing is??????

--

Comment

skill assesment

Hi Chris,

Having an apprenticeship, it should be easier than without. The licensing
        thing applies to people who are electricians etc and require some sort of
        registration in some industries in some places. If in doubt about the code
        and you really haven't changed jobs over the 13 years just choose the best
        one. If they disagree they'll tell you.

Cheers

George Lombard
        --
        www.austimmigration.com.au

"Chris W" <[email protected]_expats.com> wrote in message
        news:[email protected]
        I served an apprenticship with British Aerospace(now Bae systems) and I have 13 years experience. I have already looked at the ASCO code 4112-11 Fitter, but the occupation description includes things I have little or no experience of. The thing is I dont want to apply under a code that I cant back up with my employer references which I understand must include a description of duties and task performed. Still dont know what this registration/licensing thing is?????? -- Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

skill assesment

Originally posted by Chris W
          Hello all,

Im preparing my skills assesment and im conserned about the wording in the ASCO occupation description.
          Im an Aircraft Fitter but the closest i can get to that in the SOL is :-

4114-13 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Structures)

Inspects, disassembles and reassembles aircraft structures, and repairs and replaces components of aircraft frames.

Skill Level:
          The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.

Tasks Include:
          positions parts and sub-assemblies such as fuselage, wing or tail components, fuel tanks, landing gear, safety systems and internal fittings on working surfaces, part-assembled airframes or assembly jigs, using hoists
          lays out and marks reference points or guidelines, and aligns parts
          assembles parts and sub-assemblies
          supervises welding of components
          verifies alignments, clearances and quality of finish after final assembly, by visual inspection and measurement, and rectifies faults
          replaces and repairs worn and damaged structural parts
          maintains records of action taken

Skill Level:
          The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III?? or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.??

This is essentially my job description I served a recognised apprenticship with British Aerospace and have the relevant C+G Qualification but I am not licenced or registered.

Registation or licensing with who or what?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Chris,

My hubbie is an Aircraft Engineer in the RN and has been successfully
          assessed as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) by the TRA
          although his job is more like the definition of an AME (Structures)! As
          George says the TRA will assess you as whichever trade they think is
          most appropriate. Truth is, I don't think they understood a lot of
          Mark's description of what he does (all 25 odd pages of it)!Mark is not
          CAA licensed and it didn't stop him getting his TRA back successfully.
          (Incidentally we have used George to submit our application!)

Let me know if you need any further help - Mark is home this weekend
          from Culdrose if it's anything technical!

Nicola

--

Comment

skill assesment

Thanks both of you for your advice!

Originally posted by Nicstids
            Truth is, I don't think they understood a lot of Mark's description of what he does (all 25 odd pages of it)!Mark is not CAA licensed and it didn't stop him getting his TRA back successfully. (Incidentally we have used George to submit our application!)

Let me know if you need any further help - Mark is home this weekend from Culdrose if it's anything technical!

Nicola

Pleased to here about your hubbys assesment. Ive decided not to use an
            agent, so Id be interested to know what you included to support your
            application (25 pages!!!) and also how long it took.

Cheers Chris

--

Comment

skill assesment

Originally posted by Chris W
              Thanks both of you for your advice!

Pleased to here about your hubbys assesment. Ive decided not to use an agent, so Id be interested to know what you included to support your application (25 pages!!!) and also how long it took.

Cheers Chris

From memory (seeing as it's about a year since we did it) Mark basically
              described what he did in his apprenticeship and included a letter from
              the RN confirming the subjects studied. He then did a chronology of his
              20 years in the RN (!) describing in particular detail the jobs he's
              done over the last 10 years when he's been based in the same Mobile
              Repair Unit. Fortunately he keeps a diary which made life a lot easier!

He then descibed what a typical job would involve in nauseating detail
              i.e "you pick up a 14 ml spanner and undo the bolt....." We had a lot of
              rows about it because I kept nagging him to put more detail and he
              couldn't believe it was necessary! Basically I think you need to treat
              the TRA assessors as if they have no knowledge of your trade whatsoever.
              We also included a list of the tools to be found in a typical toolbox on
              his unit which ran to several pages.

It must have taken us about a month to put it together and, as I say, we
              applied for Mark's trade to be assessed as Superviser AME (Structures)
              and they assessed it as AME (Mechanical) which Mark was a bit
              disgruntled about! Still who cares so long as we have a valid
              assessment! Incidentally Mark's deeming date was the date he finished
              his apprenticeship.

Nicola

--

Comment

skill assesment

Cheers for that Nicola!

Its along the lines of what Ive been preparing but helpful to know what
                someone else has done non the less.

I've decided to apply under AME (structures) and see how it goes. Still
                waiting for a couple of references so itll probablly be new year before
                it goes in the post!

Thanks again

Chris

--

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X