X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• they lost our medicals...

Hi there!

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, feeling too depressed.
    Thought it might make me feel better to share our story though.

We found out a couple of weeks ago that DIMIA had lost our medicals.
    Couldn't believe it ourselves as it was sent by our panel doctor to the
    AHC in Ottawa who assured us it was then sent by diplomatic pouch to
    Adelaide. Now, tell me, how does a diplomatic pouch get lost?

Anyway, it took us nearly 2 months to realize that something was really
    wrong. We had been trying to check that the medicals had reached DIMIA
    but with no luck because ASPC operators weren't very helpful and our
    case officer didn't answer our mails (we found out after a month that
    she had left DIMIA!!). Then we got a new one, who didn't answer our
    mails either, eventhough we were getting quite worried.

Finally, after harrassing ASPC operators, I got to talk to him and he
    confirmed he never received them! So much for the "If your case
    officer doesn't get them 1 month after your deadline he will contact
    you" answer...

Well, he started by telling me that he had to take care of more than 400
    cases and just didn't have time too look for our missing medicals.
    Great. But finally, things turned out ok as he told us to send him the
    copies of the medicals, which we did (we went back to our panel doctor
    to get them).

Now, that was 2 weeks ago and we still have heard nothing from him. He's
    back to not answering our mails. We just want to know if he finally got
    our medicals. Is that too much to ask considering what already happened?
    How can he not understand the ordeal we're going through?

We're just so tired of the waiting (it's only been 11 months for us but
    we already had problems getting the forms for the medicals, took DIMIA a
    month to send them to us because the operator we talked to forgot to
    send them...). I sometime feel like we're trapped in this gigantic
    rollercoaster and it's just emotionally exhausting. Anyone feeling that
    down sometimes?

Thanks for listening.

--
    Posted via http://britishexpats.com

they lost our medicals...

Originally posted by Vanou
    Hi there!

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, feeling too depressed. Thought it might make me feel better to share our story though.

That is terrible! Hopefully things will go smoothly from now on!

--

Comment

Originally posted by SentApril2002
      That is terrible! Hopefully things will go smoothly from now on!

Hi SentApril2002!

If I remember correctly, you've been waiting for 5 or 6 months now since
      you sent your medicals. Did you try to contact them to ask why it was
      taking so long or are you just waiting? Did you get any kind of answer
      from them?

It does seem like an awfully long time...

Hope you get it soon ;-)

Cheers

Vanou

--

Comment

Hi Vanou,

Yes, I sent in my medicals/police certificates in mid-March 2003, and
        early-April 2003 respectively. Also sent in the FBI check in mid-April
        in a separate mailing. 3 months after the FBI check was sent (15 months
        into the process), I called ASPC for the first time. They were
        generally quite helpful. Although I did not get to speak to the case
        officer, the woman I spoke with said they had not received any FBI check
        to their knowledge. She did tell me that they received the other police
        checks and that my medicals were "cleared" in May.

I then Fedex'd another FBI check, and it arrived on August 11, and I
        have been waiting ever since. I sent an email notifying my case officer
        of its arrival. Since it was sent after July 1 with the new US police
        check regulations, it should be the only thing left. Not sure if I
        should call them again, or just let wait it out. As it's only been a
        little over a month since it arrived, I'm thinking I might call them
        sometime in October around the 18-month mark.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Kevin.

Hi SentApril2002!

If I remember correctly, you've been waiting for 5 or 6 months now since you sent your medicals. Did you try to contact them to ask why it was taking so long or are you just waiting? Did you get any kind of answer from them?

It does seem like an awfully long time...
        Hope you get it soon ;-)

Cheers
        Vanou

--

Comment

This may sound silly.......

But one day....you'll look back and laugh about it.

I hope!

Keep plugging away

--

Comment

Hi Vanou and any nurses out there,
            Isn't it awful that no matter how thorough you are, your application
            is still in the hands of other people who don't have the same
            commitment you do?

A month ago I paid for Helen's verification of registration to be
            sent from the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) to ANC. I did this
            over the phone using credit card and was told it would be sent
            immediately.
            Saturday we received a letter asking what the payment was for and so
            sent an email to the person I made the payment to saying I hope the
            info got sent a month ago.
            Received reply this morning saying it had been sent a month ago but
            decided to ring her to check what to do about this letter. She was
            unavailable thankfully as I spoke to a really helpfull Guy who
            checked the computer and informed me that it hadn't been sent yet but
            he would send it immediately as I had already paid. He phoned me
            later to say he'd faxed and airmailed it and we would receive a
            letter of confirmation to that effect within a couple of days.

It takes long enough to get PR visa without these unnecessary delays
            and I hate to think that if I hadn't phoned it could be sitting there
            for months.

If your ANC assessment seems to be taking ages it may pay to phone
            NMC to confirm verification has been sent.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

David and Helen

Vanou <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
            Hi there! I haven't been on the forum for a long time, feeling too depressed. Thought it might make me feel better to share our story though. We found out a couple of weeks ago that DIMIA had lost our medicals. Couldn't believe it ourselves as it was sent by our panel doctor to the AHC in Ottawa who assured us it was then sent by diplomatic pouch to Adelaide. Now, tell me, how does a diplomatic pouch get lost? Anyway, it took us nearly 2 months to realize that something was really wrong. We had been trying to check that the medicals had reached DIMIA but with no luck because ASPC operators weren't very helpful and our case officer didn't answer our mails (we found out after a month that she had left DIMIA!!). Then we got a new one, who didn't answer our mails either, eventhough we were getting quite worried. Finally, after harrassing ASPC operators, I got to talk to him and he confirmed he never received them! So much for the "If your case officer doesn't get them 1 month after your deadline he will contact you" answer... Well, he started by telling me that he had to take care of more than 400 cases and just didn't have time too look for our missing medicals. Great. But finally, things turned out ok as he told us to send him the copies of the medicals, which we did (we went back to our panel doctor to get them). Now, that was 2 weeks ago and we still have heard nothing from him. He's back to not answering our mails. We just want to know if he finally got our medicals. Is that too much to ask considering what already happened? How can he not understand the ordeal we're going through? We're just so tired of the waiting (it's only been 11 months for us but we already had problems getting the forms for the medicals, took DIMIA a month to send them to us because the operator we talked to forgot to send them...). I sometime feel like we're trapped in this gigantic rollercoaster and it's just emotionally exhausting. Anyone feeling that down sometimes? Thanks for listening.

Comment

Hi there!

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, feeling too depressed. Thought it might make me feel better to share our story though.

We found out a couple of weeks ago that DIMIA had lost our medicals. Couldn't believe it ourselves as it was sent by our panel doctor to the AHC in Ottawa who assured us it was then sent by diplomatic pouch to Adelaide. Now, tell me, how does a diplomatic pouch get lost?

Anyway, it took us nearly 2 months to realize that something was really wrong. We had been trying to check that the medicals had reached DIMIA but with no luck because ASPC operators weren't very helpful and our case officer didn't answer our mails (we found out after a month that she had left DIMIA!!). Then we got a new one, who didn't answer our mails either, eventhough we were getting quite worried.

Finally, after harrassing ASPC operators, I got to talk to him and he confirmed he never received them! So much for the "If your case officer doesn't get them 1 month after your deadline he will contact you" answer...

Well, he started by telling me that he had to take care of more than 400 cases and just didn't have time too look for our missing medicals. Great. But finally, things turned out ok as he told us to send him the copies of the medicals, which we did (we went back to our panel doctor to get them).

Now, that was 2 weeks ago and we still have heard nothing from him. He's back to not answering our mails. We just want to know if he finally got our medicals. Is that too much to ask considering what already happened? How can he not understand the ordeal we're going through?

We're just so tired of the waiting (it's only been 11 months for us but we already had problems getting the forms for the medicals, took DIMIA a month to send them to us because the operator we talked to forgot to send them...). I sometime feel like we're trapped in this gigantic rollercoaster and it's just emotionally exhausting. Anyone feeling that down sometimes?

Thanks for listening.

They lost our Police Checks when we applied. It's a bummer, isn't it. We
              had to get fresh originals (we photocopied them before sending but they
              wouldn't accept a copy when we offered). The case officer got moody when
              we chased by email after giving her a week to find them.

Anyway, regarding your "have they got them" question. The answer is
              simply to be persistent. Telepphoning is the only way. When you speak to
              an operator, ask them to check their system (the case officers use a
              system called "IRIS" to record the status of their cases in progress).
              IRIS will show if your meds have been received. Well, in theory at
              least. Our case officer didn't bother updating IRIS. But that gave us
              more ammunition to persuade the telephone answerer to get up out of his
              chair and walk across the office to speak directly to our case officer,
              who confirmed she had received the second police checks.

Some people have even managed to be put through to their case officers,
              but I never managed that. Just be polite to the answerer, but explain
              how desperately worried you are (can't sleep etc.), and ask if they
              wouldn't mind quickly checking the status.

Good luck, hope it works out.

--

Comment

I then Fedex'd another FBI check, and it arrived on August 11, and I
                have been waiting ever since.

Not sure if I should call them again, or just let wait it out. As it's
                only been a little over a month since it arrived, I'm thinking I might
                call them sometime in October around the 18-month mark.

-Kevin.

Hi there!

Reading your story I can't help but finding you incredibly patient. I
                believe a month is long enough for you to wait before making a phone
                call. I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering you right now. But of
                course, it's up to you...

From what I understand, your case officer didn't reply to your mail, did
                he? Same as us then. Well, I guess it's understandable, from their point
                of view anyway.

I called ASPC last monday (only 2 weeks after the copies of our medicals
                had arrived) but the operator who answered is a guy I already had
                problems with. Not that he isn't nice, but each time I get him I have to
                battle with him to get the tiniest bit of information. He's always
                telling me how they normally don't acknowledge the arrival of documents
                and how my case officer will contact me if anything is missing. Yeah,
                right! We've seen how that works.

Anyway, I learned that even though I know (from my registred mail
                receipt) that the copies arrived there, it's not showing on the
                computer yet. From what the operator told me, it's the case officer who
                write this kind of information down and it generally takes about a
                month to be processed. I don't know if he meant that by then it would
                be fully processed (cleared) or just that its reception would be
                ackowledged. Any idea?

Well, we'll call again next week, to try and get more information. I
                hope I'll get a more helpful operator. It does happen. After all, I got
                to talk to my case officer once. But he made it clear he wouldn't have
                time to talk to me again. If only he would answer his mails, we would
                have to call all the time... How can they not understand this?

Vanessa

--

Comment

Originally posted by mrladyboy
                  Anyway, regarding your "have they got them" question. The answer is simply to be persistent. Telepphoning is the only way. When you speak to an operator, ask them to check their system (the case officers use a system called "IRIS" to record the status of their cases in progress). IRIS will show if your meds have been received. Well, in theory at least. Our case officer didn't bother updating IRIS. But that gave us more ammunition to persuade the telephone answerer to get up out of his chair and walk across the office to speak directly to our case officer, who confirmed she had received the second police checks.
                  Some people have even managed to be put through to their case officers, but I never managed that. Just be polite to the answerer, but explain how desperately worried you are (can't sleep etc.), and ask if they wouldn't mind quickly checking the status.
                  Good luck, hope it works out.

Hi!

And thanks for the information. We actually believe that if our case
                  officer can't be bothered to answer his mails, he might do the same when
                  it comes to updating his cases on IRIS. As I don't think he would let us
                  speak to him again (see previous post), our only hope of getting an
                  acknowledgment of our second medicals is to call the operators over and
                  over again (like you advised) until someone actually gives us the
                  information we need.

I didn't realize they could actually ask the case officer directly
                  though. Don't know why. I'm going to rehearse my begging plea and try
                  that next time. It might work if I'm lucky. ;-)

Thanks again for the advice.

Vanessa

--

Comment

Thats really awful, hope you get to hear really soon......

--
                    A very happy visa'd up Hevs, off to Melbourne when we sell the house

Comment

Hi there!

Reading your story I can't help but finding you incredibly patient. I believe a month is long enough for you to wait before making a phone call. I'm sure they wouldn't mind answering you right now. But of course, it's up to you...

Vanessa

Vanessa,

I'm trying to be patient, but some days it gets very difficult. I'm
                      thinking of waiting a few more weeks before I call. I'm assuming the
                      FBI police clearance is the only thing they were waiting for. I know
                      that my medicals were "cleared" in May. Unless something else is going
                      on, I guess I will just wait until they grant the visa. It will be
                      quite a celebration when I get the famous yellow envelope.

Best of luck and I hope we all hear soon!

-Kevin.

--

Comment

Hi Kevin!

Just to keep you posted. ASPC finally confirmed they received the copies
                        of our medicals. That was a relief!!

Now, if only we could know how long it's going to take them to issue the
                        visa... ;-) Well, it's back into the line for us I guess.

I've been dreaming of receiving the famous yellow enveloppe, can you
                        believe it? It was so real too. Hope it was a premonition :-)

Vanessa

--

Comment

Vanessa,

That's good news, you must be relieved! Let's hope your dream becomes
                          real soon, and can't wait to see your "Got It!" post....

Best of luck!

-Kevin.

Hi Kevin!

Just to keep you posted. ASPC finally confirmed they received the copies of our medicals. That was a relief!!
                          Now, if only we could know how long it's going to take them to issue the visa... ;-) Well, it's back into the line for us I guess.

I've been dreaming of receiving the famous yellow enveloppe, can you believe it? It was so real too. Hope it was a premonition :-)
                          Vanessa

--

Comment

I'll try and be tactful!

Useless tw**s!!

Billabong

--

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                            Working...
                            X