• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian applying for UK passport

Hi all,

Has anybody had the experience of applying for a UK passport (I am a
    british citizen by decent)? They tell me that the processing time is
    currently 12 months and I can't be without my Australian passport for
    this amount of time (I travel for work).

Anybody had the managed to do this without sacrificing the Australian
    Passport?

Thanks

Matt

Australian applying for UK passport

Originally posted by Schmuck
    Has anybody had the experience of applying for a UK passport (I am a british citizen by decent)? They tell me that the processing time is currently 12 months and I can't be without my Australian passport for this amount of time (I travel for work).

Anybody had the managed to do this without sacrificing the Australian Passport?

Matt,

Why would you need to sacrifice your Australian passport to apply for a
    UK passport, if you are a British citizen by descent?

Peter

--
    This post is an expression of opinion and is neither legal nor immigration advice.

Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Comment

Hi there

I didnt have to sacrifice my Australian passport for a British one. All
      I had to do was get a copy birth cert. for my father and a marriage
      cert. for my parents.

Then I sent it all off and got it real quick. I did this because I
      wanted to travel to and from Spain regularly without having to
      have visas.

I am now in possession of two passports.

Cheers

BooBoo

--

Comment

"Schmuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
        news:[email protected] om...
        Hi all, Has anybody had the experience of applying for a UK passport (I am a british citizen by decent)? They tell me that the processing time is currently 12 months and I can't be without my Australian passport
        for
        this amount of time (I travel for work). Anybody had the managed to do this without sacrificing the
        Australian
        Passport? Thanks Matt
        If, as you say, you're already a British citizen by descent, it
        shouldn't take more than a few days to get a passport. The 12 month
        processing time you've been told about presumably applies if you're
        *not* a British citizen, but want to become one by registration or
        naturalisation.

If you'll post more details (including what country you're in at the
        moment) it'll be easier to offer suggestions

paul

Comment

"P Pron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
          news:[email protected]
          "Schmuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
          Hi all, Has anybody had the experience of applying for a UK passport (I am a british citizen by decent)? They tell me that the processing time is currently 12 months and I can't be without my Australian passport
          for
          this amount of time (I travel for work).
          Couple of things to confirm:

- are you certain you are a british citizen by descent? Were you born
          outside the UK to a British Citizen who him or herself was not a British
          Citizen by descent? Were you born before 1981 (when the British Nationality
          Act came into force)?

- did your parents register your birth at a British consulate, high
          commission, or embassy? Did you ever obtain a consular birth certificate?

- do you have anything official that states you are a British citizen?

I am a UK citizen resident overseas and when my son was born recently I
          spent some time learning about the intricate ins and outs of UK nationality
          law. It's clear, but it's not simple!

Peter

Comment

"Stephen C. Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote in
            message news:[email protected] ble.rogers.com...
            It has given you the ability to apply for British citizenship by Registration. You will not be a British citizen unless and until you submit an application to be registered, and that application is approved.
            My understanding is that one can only apply to become a British citizen by
            registration if one is resident in the United Kingdom.

Comment

"Traveller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:[email protected]
              "Stephen C. Gallagher" <[email protected]> wrote
              in
              It has given you the ability to apply for British citizenship by Registration. You will not be a British citizen unless and until you submit an application to be registered, and that application is approved.
              My understanding is that one can only apply to become a British
              citizen by
              registration if one is resident in the United Kingdom.
              Your understanding is wrong, I'm afraid....

The Nationality Immigration & Asylum Act 2002 introduced two new
              provisions wef 30 04 03) enabling certain people to apply for
              registration as a British citizen - neither of which have any UK
              residence requirement. (I posted a link higher up this thread, if
              you'd rather take the word of the Home Office website rather than some
              guy...)

I should also say that the British Nationality Act 1981 has always
              contained provisions for registration which don't depend on residence
              or presence in the UK, so whoever gave you your understanding misled
              you.

paul

Comment

"P Pron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                Oops - missed out some words...... This is the corrected version:: "P Pron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] Not sure who I'm replying to now but no - you're not a British citizen by descent. You may be entitled to be registered as one by the Home Office.
                Yep. You are right. My bad. My usual arrogance that everything I want
                will come to me.
                The entitlement was introduced by the Nationality Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 and benefits (among others) anyone born outside the UK between 8 February 1961 and 31 December 1982 (inclusive) whose mother was born in the UK.
                There appear to be three requirements. The first two (Birthdate and
                Mother's nationality) are given. The third talks about qualifying for
                "right of abode" under another act. Given that I already have the
                "right of abode" in my passport, I reckon I fulfil that one.
                It has nothing to do with the Commonwealth, and I'm sure the British Consulate in Santiago will know exactly what you're after, and it's unlikely that they'd want to keep your passport for as long as two weeks - they're not quite as big as the British High Commission in Canberra!!
                No.. the British Consulate in Santiago have no idea about the changes.
                Not suprisingly as there are almost zero people here who would fall
                into that catagory. (Unlike Australia where we got all the 10 bob poms
                and their offspring). So I sent them a link to the act plus references
                to form UKM and BN13 and the rest, and they will look into it. Of
                course, there is a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I have
                read something wrong, but I don't think so.

Will let you know how it goes. Should know by early next week. (Note
                that's early next week _Chilean Time_ which could very well mean
                August).

Next question: British Nationality by descent can't be passed on to
                children. Any idea what rights it bestows upon wives? Do to the Brits
                recongise de facto relationships in the same way that Australian laws
                do?

Matt

Comment

"P Pron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                  "Schmuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
                  Dunno about "de factos" from the immigration point of view - perhaps someone cleverer can advise whether the Immigration Rules recognise them for the purpose of settlement in UK, if that's what you and your other half are interested in....
                  Yeah. Obviously I don't expect to turn up and say "here's my
                  girlfriend, give her a passport", but if she was able to get a work
                  visa it would be nice.

If all goes well, she will be right to settle in europe based on her
                  parentage. The problem is that Spain doesn't have any central record
                  agency... each city has its own... and Madrid (where everybody
                  believes that her grandfather was born) has its records by
                  municipality. Her cousin is heading over to Spain to do the search for
                  the birth certificate that proves the lineage. Given what I've
                  experienced with Spanish Beurocrasy, I doubt that it will be a
                  straight forward task.
                  Good luck next week (............or August).
                  Thanks for all your advise.

Matt

Comment

> > It has given you the ability
                    to apply for British citizenship by Registration. You will not be a British citizen unless and until you submit an application to be registered, and that application is approved. My understanding is that one can only apply to become a British citizen by registration if one is resident in the United Kingdom.
                    There are actually some situations where you do
                    not have to be resident in the UK to apply
                    for registration as a British Citizen. The
                    one that has been discussed allows certain
                    persons born outside the UK to a British mother
                    between 1961 and 1983 to apply to be registered
                    as British citizens. It does not require you to be
                    resident in the UK.

The guide to this is at
                    http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/def...sp?PageId=3855

Stephen Gallagher

Comment

I'm coming in on an old thread here, but ...

As you have Right of Abode are you sure you want to register as a
                      British citizen by descent under this new law?

As the offer of registration is not time limited, you could consider
                      the alternative option of naturalisation if you plan to live in the UK
                      for 5 years (plus processing time). This gives you British
                      citizenship 'otherwise than by descent'

Of course if you want to live elsewhere in the EU/EEA. then Right of
                      Abode is no help and you'll need to be a British citizen. Just be
                      aware that if you do register as a British citizen by descent, you
                      can't naturalise and become British otherwise than by descent later
                      on.

Jeremy
                      On 10 Jul 2003 08:20:33 -0700, [email protected] (Schmuck) wrote:"P Pron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                      Oops - missed out some words...... This is the corrected version:: "P Pron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] Not sure who I'm replying to now but no - you're not a British citizen by descent. You may be entitled to be registered as one by the Home Office.
                      Yep. You are right. My bad. My usual arrogance that everything I wantwill come to me.
                      The entitlement was introduced by the Nationality Immigration and Asylum Act 2002 and benefits (among others) anyone born outside the UK between 8 February 1961 and 31 December 1982 (inclusive) whose mother was born in the UK.
                      There appear to be three requirements. The first two (Birthdate andMother's nationality) are given. The third talks about qualifying for"right of abode" under another act. Given that I already have the"right of abode" in my passport, I reckon I fulfil that one.
                      This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Comment

[email protected] (JAJ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
                        I'm coming in on an old thread here, but ... As you have Right of Abode are you sure you want to register as a British citizen by descent under this new law? As the offer of registration is not time limited, you could consider the alternative option of naturalisation if you plan to live in the UK for 5 years (plus processing time). This gives you British citizenship 'otherwise than by descent' Of course if you want to live elsewhere in the EU/EEA. then Right of Abode is no help and you'll need to be a British citizen. Just be aware that if you do register as a British citizen by descent, you can't naturalise and become British otherwise than by descent later on.
                        Good point.

My life since graduation from University has been take jobs for 2-3
                        years then spend 4-6 months travelling while I look for the next spot
                        to settle. Of course, this isn't something I will be able to do
                        forever I reckon two more stints (which will place me in my mid
                        30s) and then I'll look at staying still for a couple of decades and
                        reproducing.

So at the moment I don't have plans to spend the requisit 5 years in
                        the UK. From what I can gather the "otherwise than by descent" only
                        changes the number of generations to whom you can pass the citizenship
                        down... ie none, one for women or two for men (to the children of your
                        sons).

Are there other benefits?

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Schmuck
                          From what I can gather the "otherwise than by descent" only
                          changes the number of generations to whom you can pass the citizenship
                          down... ie none, one for women or two for men (to the children of your
                          sons).

Are there other benefits?
                          Not quite correct...

First, there is no difference to how many generations it can be passed
                          down to between men & women (ie. there is no gender discrimination in
                          that regard).

Second, having British Citizenship by descent means that you cannot
                          pass on British Citizenship to any children of yours that are born
                          outside of the UK. If your children are born in the UK, then
                          there is no problem with passing on British Citizenship to them, and
                          in that case they would receive British Citizenship otherwise than
                          by descent.

British Citizenship otherwise than by descent, means that you can pass
                          on British Citizenship to children born outside of the UK. They will in
                          turn have received British Citizenship by descent, which means that they
                          would not be able to pass on British Citizenship to their children born
                          outside of the UK.

So it really depends on whether you want to have children, and if you
                          want to ensure that you can pass on British Citizenship to them - and if
                          so, choosing how to go about it (ie. where they would be born).

--

Comment

[email protected] (Schmuck) wrote:
                            Are there other benefits? [of getting British citizenship]
                            Something occurred to me: do you have any Irish grandparents by
                            chance?
                            If you do, you could register as an Irish citizen then you could bring
                            your wife in on an EEA visa.

Comment

[email protected] (Bodza Bodza) wrote in message news:<[email protected] com>...
                              [email protected] (Schmuck) wrote:
                              Are there other benefits? [of getting British citizenship]
                              Something occurred to me: do you have any Irish grandparents by chance? If you do, you could register as an Irish citizen then you could bring your wife in on an EEA visa.
                              Nah... My irish ancestors left the motherland in the early 1800s and
                              went and established what was to become Queanbeyan.

Don't blame me. I didn't do it

The other keyword in the above is "wife". Although we a still at least
                              year out from leaving Chile, we arenĀ“t planning to marry just yet (if
                              at all... Neither of us feel that the bit of paper means anything if
                              you don't have a piss-up with 300 of your closest friends to
                              celebrate.. which of course we don't have the cash for quite yet). We
                              defintely don't want to get married just to make some Beurocrat
                              happy... I'd rather stay where I am.

Still, if I read the AUS guidelines right, as long as you have shared
                              electricity bills and enough relatives saying that you are living
                              together and have been for at least 12 months, the whole "I do" thing
                              isn't really necessary.

I don't know what the UK take is on this.

Matt

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X