• Show
Clear All

• Speeding Ticket in DC

This morning I got a speeding ticket...I was on a two lane road, with a
    30mph speed limit (if you are familiar with the area,16th street towards
    silver spring). I was coming up to a red light with a car and a cop in the
    next lane over...the red turned green and I sped by both at 30mph (the
    limit) - the cop comes behind me, with blue lights flashing, so I assume he
    needs to pass...I go up to 35 so I can get ahead of the car in the left lane
    and let him pass...he then turns on his sirens and pulls me over. so I was
    going 35 in a 30 zone, but he wrote me down as going 40 - I guess he felt
    liked rounding up, and of course I had no recourse to argue. Anyways, what
    he said was "Why the hell did you pass me?" he talked about how stupid it
    was to pass a sky cab or something like that - I tried to explain but he
    shushed me and cited me for speeding, and gave me an extra $100 ticket for
    california plates. Any way I can argue the speeding ticket?

Speeding Ticket in DC

"Zwanz of Never" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    This morning I got a speeding ticket...I was on a two lane road, with a 30mph speed limit (if you are familiar with the area,16th street towards silver spring). I was coming up to a red light with a car and a cop in the next lane over...the red turned green and I sped by both at 30mph (the limit) - the cop comes behind me, with blue lights flashing, so I assume he needs to pass...I go up to 35 so I can get ahead of the car in the left lane and let him pass...he then turns on his sirens and pulls me over. so I was going 35 in a 30 zone, but he wrote me down as going 40 - I guess he felt liked rounding up, and of course I had no recourse to argue. Anyways, what he said was "Why the hell did you pass me?" he talked about how stupid it was to pass a sky cab or something like that - I tried to explain but he shushed me and cited me for speeding, and gave me an extra $100 ticket for california plates. Any way I can argue the speeding ticket?
    Your word against his in court.

Comment

Speeding Ticket in DC

el Diablo wrote:
      "Zwanz of Never" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
      This morning I got a speeding ticket...I was on a two lane road, with a30mph speed limit (if you are familiar with the area,16th street towardssilver spring). I was coming up to a red light with a car and a cop in thenext lane over...the red turned green and I sped by both at 30mph (thelimit) - the cop comes behind me, with blue lights flashing, so I assumehe needs to pass...I go up to 35 so I can get ahead of the car in the leftlane and let him pass...he then turns on his sirens and pulls me over. soI was going 35 in a 30 zone, but he wrote me down as going 40 - I guess hefelt liked rounding up, and of course I had no recourse to argue. Anyways,what he said was "Why the hell did you pass me?" he talked about howstupid it was to pass a sky cab or something like that - I tried toexplain but he shushed me and cited me for speeding, and gave me an extra$100 ticket for california plates. Any way I can argue the speedingticket?
      That's not to say you shouldn't go, however.

I'm curious about the California plates thing... are you now living in
      DC? If you are, you should get that fixed before your court date, as
      the judge will ask about that.

nate

--
      replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
      http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Comment

Speeding Ticket in DC

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:21:27 GMT Zwanz of Never wrote:
        This morning I got a speeding ticket...I was on a two lane road, with a 30mph speed limit (if you are familiar with the area,16th street towards silver spring). I was coming up to a red light with a car and a cop in the next lane over...the red turned green and I sped by both at 30mph (the limit) - the cop comes behind me, with blue lights flashing, so I assume he needs to pass...I go up to 35 so I can get ahead of the car in the left lane and let him pass...he then turns on his sirens and pulls me over. so I was going 35 in a 30 zone, but he wrote me down as going 40 - I guess he felt liked rounding up, and of course I had no recourse to argue. Anyways, what he said was "Why the hell did you pass me?" he talked about how stupid it was to pass a sky cab or something like that - I tried to explain but he shushed me and cited me for speeding, and gave me an extra $100 ticket for california plates. Any way I can argue the speeding ticket?

Yep. Fight it.
        There is no written law that says you have to stop because an officer is
        stopped on the side writing a citation.
        Also, DC has to accept your california plates as being kosher.
        Force him into court and have him explain under exactly what laws you were
        cited and why.
        Most likely the judge will dismiss the charges.
        As he has to mark the exact laws under which you were cited on the ticket,
        get a copy of those laws and read them carefully.
        He probably figured that because your plates are from california, you aren't
        going to challenge his bogus efforts.

I lived in Colorado one winter with Ohio plates on my car.
        I worked at one resort, living in one area where I passed throug a small
        town.
        Got to be a habit actually. Every night, a city cop would be waiting at the
        ramp for me.
        He'd follow me to the edge of town and turn around.
        Was I doing anything illegal? Nope. It's just the fact I had out of state
        plates.
        Nothing but pure harassment.

Challenge the ticket. I would.

Comment

Speeding Ticket in DC

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 20:34:40 -0500 Nate Nagel wrote:
          el Diablo wrote:
          "Zwanz of Never" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

That's not to say you shouldn't go, however.
          I'm curious about the California plates thing... are you now living in DC? If you are, you should get that fixed before your court date, as the judge will ask about that.
          If the driver's license and plates match, that is not an issue.
          As there are literally thousands of people who drive through DC from
          neighboring states every day, the fact that plates are from another state,
          doesn't matter legally.
          What if it's a rental car?
          What if my cousin from california is in town and I'm using his car because
          mine's in the shop?
          By granting me a driver's license, I can drive any non-commercial vehicle,
          any where in the world.

Some cops have a bad day and they will pick on out of state vehicles because
          they figure the ticket(s) won't be challenged.
          This particular cop needs to have an attitude adjustment.

Comment

Speeding Ticket in DC

For reasons I don't want to explore, on Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:21:27 GMT,
            "Zwanz of Never" <[email protected]> wrote:
            This morning I got a speeding ticket...I was on a two lane road, with a30mph speed limit (if you are familiar with the area,16th street towardssilver spring). I was coming up to a red light with a car and a cop in thenext lane over...the red turned green and I sped by both at 30mph (thelimit) - the cop comes behind me, with blue lights flashing, so I assume heneeds to pass...I go up to 35 so I can get ahead of the car in the left laneand let him pass...he then turns on his sirens and pulls me over. so I wasgoing 35 in a 30 zone, but he wrote me down as going 40 - I guess he feltliked rounding up, and of course I had no recourse to argue. Anyways, whathe said was "Why the hell did you pass me?" he talked about how stupid itwas to pass a sky cab or something like that - I tried to explain but heshushed me and cited me for speeding, and gave me an extra $100 ticket forcalifornia plates. Any way I can argue the speeding ticket?

Of course you can argue it. This doesn't mean you will win, of
            course.

Kent
            --
            When cryptography is outlawed,
            bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

Comment

Speeding Ticket in DC

Richard,

I could be wrong but I bet that while filling out the ticket the cop
              asked for the current address and it was not in Cal. If that's the case then
              the ticket for improper tags and maybe license would be appropriate. Most
              places give 30 days from the date of arrival for new residents to get new
              tags et c.
              Your Colo. story is a case in point. When you were working in Colo. you
              were resident there and obligated to get a Colo. license and registration if
              you lived there for 90 days.

Dave M.

Comment

Speeding Ticket in DC

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:55:25 GMT, "David Martel"
                <[email protected]> wrote:
                Richard, I could be wrong but I bet that while filling out the ticket the copasked for the current address and it was not in Cal. If that's the case thenthe ticket for improper tags and maybe license would be appropriate. Mostplaces give 30 days from the date of arrival for new residents to get newtags et c.
                As any reasonable person would have been able to figure out that
                something like that was the likely scenario.
                Your Colo. story is a case in point. When you were working in Colo. youwere resident there and obligated to get a Colo. license and registration ifyou lived there for 90 days.Dave M.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X