This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA inheritance tax Pennsylvania

My father passed away in NY (as a resident)
    I live in PA (as a resident)
    I understand that I do not owe federal tax due to the value of the estate.
    But, do I pay tax in PA, NY or both?

State estate taxes are generally controlled by the residency of the decedent (not the beneficiary), so New York law will apply to your father's estate. [Note: If your father owned real property in a state other than New York (e.g., Pennsylvania), then there could be tax filing requirements in that state]. If your father died on or after January 1, 2004, you will generally have no filing requirement with the state of New York unless he had a very large estate (e.g., $1 million or more). You can access New York's, estate tax filing requirements here: http://tax.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tax....i=&p_topview=1
    Barry S. Phillips, CPA
    www.BarryPhillips.com

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: This response is intended to provide general information and written for educational purposes only. It does not establish a client relationship. This communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to any party any matters addressed herein.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for your prompt reply. True, all my fathers assets are in NY and under the 1 mil. mark, so I will handle it there.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X