Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

PA inheritance tax Pennsylvania

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PA inheritance tax Pennsylvania

    My father passed away in NY (as a resident)
    I live in PA (as a resident)
    I understand that I do not owe federal tax due to the value of the estate.
    But, do I pay tax in PA, NY or both?

  • #2
    State estate taxes are generally controlled by the residency of the decedent (not the beneficiary), so New York law will apply to your father's estate. [Note: If your father owned real property in a state other than New York (e.g., Pennsylvania), then there could be tax filing requirements in that state]. If your father died on or after January 1, 2004, you will generally have no filing requirement with the state of New York unless he had a very large estate (e.g., $1 million or more). You can access New York's, estate tax filing requirements here:
    Barry S. Phillips, CPA

    IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: This response is intended to provide general information and written for educational purposes only. It does not establish a client relationship. This communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to any party any matters addressed herein.


    • #3
      Thank you

      Thank you for your prompt reply. True, all my fathers assets are in NY and under the 1 mil. mark, so I will handle it there.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.