Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

If I purchase a watercraft in another state, what are my responsibilities? North Dakota

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If I purchase a watercraft in another state, what are my responsibilities? North Dakota

    Proof that sales tax was paid on watercraft purchased at retail in another state must be furnished to the North Dakota Game and Fish Department before the watercraft may be licensed. A copy of the sales invoice must accompany the license application. If tax was paid equal to or greater than the North Dakota rate in the state where the watercraft was purchased, no additional tax is due. If tax was not paid in another state, the One-Time Sales and Use Tax Return should be completed and the state and any applicable local tax remitted to the Tax Commissioner. The local tax rate is based on where the watercraft is stored.

    Watercraft purchased from a private party is considered a casual sale and is not subject to state and local taxes. If the watercraft was purchased from a private party, please attach a copy of the receipt for the sale to the watercraft license application submitted to North Dakota Game and Fish. The receipt should include the seller's name, address, description and purchase price of the watercraft and the seller’s signature.
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.