Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

I did not receive a Form W-2 from my employer. What should I do? North Dakota

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I did not receive a Form W-2 from my employer. What should I do? North Dakota

    In general, federal tax law requires employers to provide a Form W-2 to each employee at the end of each calendar year. Employers must give or mail the W-2s to employees no later than January 31 following the end of the calendar year. If you do not receive your W-2, you should do the following:

    First, contact your employer to find out if the W-2s have been prepared and issued. If your employer mailed the W-2s, you may not have received your W-2 because of an incorrect or incomplete address. There may also be other reasons for not receiving your W-2 that may be easily taken care of by contacting the employer. After contacting your employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for your employer to issue or remail the W-2.

    Second, if you still do not receive your W-2 after contacting your employer, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by calling 1-800-829-1040, but do not contact the IRS before February 16. Before you call the IRS, write down the following information which the IRS will ask you to provide:

    1. Your employer's name and complete address, employer identification number (if known), and telephone number;

    2. Your name, address, social security number, and telephone number; and

    3. An estimate of the wages paid to you by the employer, the federal income tax withheld, and the period of time you worked for the employer during the year.

    You will need to give this information to the IRS so that they can prepare a Form 4852, Substitute For A Missing Form W-2. The IRS will mail a copy of Form 4852 to you. You should use the Form 4852 instead of your W-2 only if necessary to file your federal income tax return on time. Note that the use of a Form 4852 instead of the actual W-2 may delay your federal income tax refund while the information on the Form 4852 is verified by the IRS.

    The information on the Form 4852 will be accepted for North Dakota income tax purposes. You should make a copy of the Form 4852 received from the IRS to attach to your North Dakota income tax return. Be sure to keep a copy of Form 4852 for your own records.

  • #2

    I would give it until Monday Tuesday the latest before you call your employer because


    • #3
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


      • #4 guys both realize that this thread is four years old, right?


        • #5
          This was a thread with a question & answer posted by a researcher in 2006. It wasn't a question for anyone to reply to.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

          Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


          The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.