This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxes on a lawsuit settlement in Pa.

I received a settlement check for $10,500. How much of that will be taken for taxes? Will it be taken off the top, or will it be factored into my income taxes for next year? (Pennsylvania)

It depends on what it is. For the most updated information you will need to ask a tax consultant. But the last I heard, is if it is for back-wages, it will be taxed as income (i doubt that would change). If it is for physical injury, that is NOT taxed. I am not sure about emotional/mental. That USED to be taxed. I am also unsure about punitive, but i THINK it is also taxed.

Comment

I'll call a tax acct. But it's not for back wages and it's not for getting hurt...I don't know it's it's classified. Thanks for trying though!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X