This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee vs Contractor

I posted this in the Virginia Labor law form also.

I work part time for a DJ multi op service in VA. My contract states I am a contractor but doing some research, it seems that I am actully an employee. "They" tell me where to go, and when to be there. "They" have trained me. I use 'Their" equipment and music. I use my own vehicle. I deduct mileage.
    "They" set the pay scale. I only receive a set amount of money as pay and it does not change except for distance traveled to and from a job. "They" store all the equipment that must be picked up, delivered for the job, torn down and stored back in "Their" storage area. I have no financial risk involved. I can quit with a 30 day notice acording to contract, but also have a "non-compete clause" in it that is very time and area specific.

"They" take no withholdings from my pay. I pay those myself each year.

If I am an employee by law, and not a contractor as it states in the contract, shouldn't they be deducting the withholdings?

"They" have been in business many years and I would think "They" should no better, but perhaps "They" know something I don't .... yet.

Thansk for any comments

Very interesting. An IRS School of Taxation???

http://www.unclefed.com/AuthorsRow/G...ployeecon.html
    "What would a reasonable person do?"

aryels
    A.S. Paralegal
    Criminal Justice Student--B.S.

"Give this guy 15 cents and tell him to go to hell."

Comment

Well this is commonly done by many businesses. I cannot really respond definitively because usually the control test is used to dictate if you are an employee or a contractor and the type of work that you do, the hours you work, whether you are reimbursed for mileage or not and so on are all issues.

Comment

1099 Contractors vs. W-2 Contractor?

I am going to work overseas on a rotational basis (28 on and 28 off) on a Fixed Term Contract with an oil company in Oman. I want to defer income as much as possible and it seems that if I am paid via a 1099, I can set up a type S corporation and thus defer more income in IRA plan and also set up a Flexible Spending plan.

I have heard from others on this type set-up that the company issued them W-2 forms showing their 2005 earnings. If you are truly a contactor, shouldn't the company be issuing a 1099 and not a W-2?

If I get issued a W-2, can I still set up an IRA or 401K plan and contribute the higher amounts (I am over 50 and thus want to also contribute the 'catch-up ' amount also).

Can someone explain the difference between the 1099 and W-2 and how I should defer my income via retirement accounts under each scenario? Where can I find information on this? Should I take to a CPA or tax attorney to get everything set up?

I am starting in 3 weeks so I don't have to worry about 2005 when I was an employee. I just want to get this new Fixed Term Contract position started correctly.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Comment

To the Original Poster:

As Elk Law stated, this is commonly done, and often it is a misclassification. You would need to present the specifics of YOUR situation to the Department of Labor and/or the IRS to determine for sure.

Based on what you have posted, it DOES sound like a misclassification. Particularily by the time you reached the "non-compete" clause, although any one factor alone isn't really the determining factor.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X