This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I understand this?

I realize that if a corporation receives property in exchange for stock, and if it assumes a debt with the property, the liability is actually considered as an asset because the interest is deductible.

However, if the debt exceeds the total adjusted basis of the transferred property, the shareholders/taxpayers have a negative basis in the stock, which is considered as taxable gain.

Is that right?
    "What would a reasonable person do?"

aryels
    A.S. Paralegal
    Criminal Justice Student--B.S.

"Give this guy 15 cents and tell him to go to hell."

In this case, it depends on the type of property and how it is being characterized by the corporation. Also, a shareholder should not really have any concern about the issue that you speak of unless it dilutes the value of the shares, but there are shareholder actions that can address that which have nothing to do with taxes.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X