X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get rid of taxes.moderated

Hello All

I would love to see the end of misc.taxes.moderated in favor of this group.
    Usenet groups focusing on technical issues like taxes seem to do pretty well
    without some self-appointed deity deciding which posts get in and which
    don't. For the second time my post to that group did not make it - a simple
    about how to calculate square footage for the purposes of taking a home
    office deduction. I didn't cross-post use curse words, reveal my age,
    ethnicity, heights, weight, hair color or anything else that my subject me
    to the Orwellian vagaries of the misc.taxes.moderated chopping tool. I
    finally gave up and went to the IRS.

Of course, the guy who runs that newsgroup has a right to do whatever he
    wants. However, by running that site, he's fragmenting the tax help
    available on the Usenet. We should not subject ourselves to his opinion of
    what is a good question and what's a bad one. Maybe he can simply find
    something else to do, maybe take over for Castro when he goes.

Can't we simply stop using that site? I suggest, if you post there and here,
    abandon there. Tell folks you know who go there to come here. Let anyone you
    know who goes there that it's time to abandon that exclusive club that makes
    posting difficult, if not impossible!!!!!!

--
    Regards,
    Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
    to the newsgroup.

Get rid of taxes.moderated

Feel free and those of us who wish to use it can also do that.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:46:28 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
    <[email protected] > wrote:
    Hello AllI would love to see the end of misc.taxes.moderated in favor of this group.Usenet groups focusing on technical issues like taxes seem to do pretty wellwithout some self-appointed deity deciding which posts get in and whichdon't. For the second time my post to that group did not make it - a simpleabout how to calculate square footage for the purposes of taking a homeoffice deduction. I didn't cross-post use curse words, reveal my age,ethnicity, heights, weight, hair color or anything else that my subject meto the Orwellian vagaries of the misc.taxes.moderated chopping tool. Ifinally gave up and went to the IRS.Of course, the guy who runs that newsgroup has a right to do whatever hewants. However, by running that site, he's fragmenting the tax helpavailable on the Usenet. We should not subject ourselves to his opinion ofwhat is a good question and what's a bad one. Maybe he can simply findsomething else to do, maybe take over for Castro when he goes.Can't we simply stop using that site? I suggest, if you post there and here,abandon there. Tell folks you know who go there to come here. Let anyone youknow who goes there that it's time to abandon that exclusive club that makesposting difficult, if not impossible!!!!!!

Comment

"Anthony Giorgianni" wrote
      maybe take over for Castro when he goes.

Oh goody, cheap cigars.

--
      "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not,
      none will suffice." - Joseph Dunniger

Paul A. Thomas, CPA
      Athens, Georgia
      taxman at negia.net

Comment

"Anthony Giorgianni" <[email protected] >
        wrote in message
        news[email protected]
        Hello All I would love to see the end of misc.taxes.moderated in favor of this group. Usenet groups focusing on technical issues like taxes seem to do pretty well without some self-appointed deity deciding which posts get in and which don't. For the second time my post to that group did not make it - a simple about how to calculate square footage for the purposes of taking a home office deduction. I didn't cross-post use curse words, reveal my age, ethnicity, heights, weight, hair color or anything else that my subject me to the Orwellian vagaries of the misc.taxes.moderated chopping tool. I finally gave up and went to the IRS. Of course, the guy who runs that newsgroup has a right to do whatever he wants. However, by running that site, he's fragmenting the tax help available on the Usenet. We should not subject ourselves to his opinion of what is a good question and what's a bad one. Maybe he can simply find something else to do, maybe take over for Castro when he goes. Can't we simply stop using that site? I suggest, if you post there and here, abandon there. Tell folks you know who go there to come here. Let anyone you know who goes there that it's time to abandon that exclusive club that makes posting difficult, if not impossible!!!!!! -- Regards, Anthony Giorgianni The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back to the newsgroup.
        Why not post your question here exactly as you tried on the other newsgroup
        so we may all see what was so offensive to the moderator of that group?

Wayne Brasch, CPA, M. S. Taxation

Comment

"Wayne Brasch" <[email protected]> wrote:
          Why not post your question here exactly as you tried on the other newsgroup so we may all see what was so offensive to the moderator of that group?
          I doubt it's that. Rather, it's probably just the delay that happens with
          the moderated group. Some people think of Usenet as a chat room, and when
          they don't get a response in 5 minutes they assume the worst.
          --
          Phil Marti
          Clarksburg, MD

Comment

Thanks Wayne

Here is the "offensive" post I sent out three DAYS ago to the moderated
            group. FYI, after I spoke with the IRS, the 30 percent number should now
            read 15 percent and the section under A) should read 25 percent. But
            otherwise, it's exactly as I posted. I anyone sees anything that violates
            the policy of the newsgroup, please let me know.

COPY.........Hello All

I'm hoping someone has the answer to this because the tax publications seem
            to be silent on it.

Being self-employed, I'm trying to calculate the percentage that my
            exclusive home office takes up of the small condo I rent. But I'm not sure
            how to calculate it.

Details: My condo is basically three living spaces -

1st floor - a tiny kitchen and combination wide-open dining
            room/living room (plus tiny bathroom)
            2nd floor - a single large bedroom. (plus large bathroom)
            There also is an unfinished basement

My office takes up the dining room, which is about one THIRD the size of the
            dining room/living room combo, or perhaps slightly less than 20 percent the
            square footage of the living spaces (not including unfinished basement, 2
            bathrooms, stairways, entryway and closets.)

So........

A) If I use the room method, can I say my office is one third (33 percent)
            of my home (one of three rooms), even though the dining room square footage
            is about 20 percent of both floors?

B) If I use the square footage method, what do I include the unfinished
            basement, bathrooms, stairways, entryway and closets?

I sure wish the publication gave guidance on how to do this. (Is there
            anything that I'm missing on the IRS site that explains this in detail?)
            Anyone know for sure? I want to be honest and pay my fair share, but I don't
            want to rip myself off either.

Thanks for any help. (END COPY)

--
            Regards,
            Anthony Giorgianni

to the newsgroup.

Comment

No, Phil.

I expect it to run not like a chat room but like most every other Usenet
              newsgroup, in which it take about 30 seconds for posts to migrate worldwide,
              not THREE DAYS and counting.

--
              Regards,
              Anthony Giorgianni

to the newsgroup.

"Phil Marti" <[email protected]> wrote in message
              news:[email protected]
              Why not post your question here exactly as you tried on the other newsgroup so we may all see what was so offensive to the moderator of
              that
              group? I doubt it's that. Rather, it's probably just the delay that happens with the moderated group. Some people think of Usenet as a chat room, and when they don't get a response in 5 minutes they assume the worst. -- Phil Marti Clarksburg, MD

Comment

"Anthony Giorgianni" wrote
                I expect it to run not like a chat room but like most every other Usenet newsgroup, in which it take about 30 seconds for posts to migrate worldwide, not THREE DAYS and counting.

That is, after all, a moderated newsgroup, and the moderator has (or had) a
                real job.

It just takes that long sometimes. When it's a planned "long-time" he lets
                folks know.

But, I understand that you can ask for, and receive, a full refund of your
                fees changed by misc.taxes.moderated.

--
                Paul A. Thomas, CPA
                Athens, Georgia
                taxman at negia.net

Comment

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
                  Thanks Wayne Here is the "offensive" post I sent out three DAYS ago to the moderated group.
                  Your post is there now. Since you don't have the patience for moderated groups, you
                  should probably avoid them in the future.

Comment

"Anthony Giorgianni" <[email protected] >
                    wrote in message
                    No, Phil. I expect it to run not like a chat room but like most every other Usenet newsgroup, in which it take about 30 seconds for posts to migrate worldwide, not THREE DAYS and counting. -- Regards, Anthony Giorgianni The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back to the newsgroup. "Phil Marti" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                    Why not post your question here exactly as you tried on the other newsgroup so we may all see what was so offensive to the moderator of
                    that
                    group? I doubt it's that. Rather, it's probably just the delay that happens with the moderated group. Some people think of Usenet as a chat room, and when they don't get a response in 5 minutes they assume the worst. -- Phil Marti Clarksburg, MD
                    The nature of that newsgroup is different from most others. The moderator
                    has a real job and doesn't get paid for what he does with this newsgroup.
                    He accepts posts and replies as he has time to deal with them. Besides
                    that, he has had some physical problems recently that have hampered his
                    life. You have to learn a little patience. Chill!

Wayne Brasch, CPA, M. S. Taxation

Comment

No, "chill" is my point. Why should people seeking tax advice have to chill
                      when people seeking advice on computers, car repairs, digital photography,
                      free software, health, finance, music, etc get to post their questions and
                      have them answered right away? What is so wrong with people seeking and
                      providing tax advice that they have to be babied by the Usenet tax god? The
                      Usenet should be open and free. By having a moderated group, this guy is
                      making it difficult for people to get advice, diverting attention from the
                      non-moderated group.

Last year I sought tax advice for my 95 year old father and had the
                      unmitigated audacity of cross posting to both the moderated and unmoderated
                      versions of these groups - because I didn't know the rules of this moderated
                      tax club, I disqualified my question from appearing on the moderated version
                      where, apparently, the best advice is given. What the heck is wrong with
                      cross-posting? You may have an expert on one group who is not reading the
                      other. If this guy gets rid of the moderated version, people can concentrate
                      on the standard, unmoderated group ... which is open to everyone to post
                      immediately.

This guy is just another example of a Usenet Stormtropper, creating an
                      exclusive club that delays or even prevents people's access to help for some
                      inexplicable reason. I have absolutely not appreciation for any of time he
                      spends on this; I have only disdain. Moderated newsgroups largely are a
                      thing if the past because they are a pain for the moderator and for everyone
                      else. He's not doing anyone a service by spending his day at his job and
                      delaying posts for days. If he doesn't have the time, then give it up, Jack.
                      He's just creating a lot of unnecessary aggravation and doing an injustice
                      to people who need help, especially so close to tax time. It is time for
                      that group to hit the trash in favor of this one.

--
                      Regards,
                      Anthony Giorgianni

to the newsgroup.
                      "Wayne Brasch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                      "Anthony Giorgianni" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]
                      No, Phil. I expect it to run not like a chat room but like most every other Usenet newsgroup, in which it take about 30 seconds for posts to migrate worldwide, not THREE DAYS and counting. -- Regards, Anthony Giorgianni The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back to the newsgroup. "Phil Marti" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                      "Wayne Brasch" <[email protected]> wrote: > Why not post your question here exactly as you tried on the other > newsgroup so we may all see what was so offensive to the moderator of
                      that
                      > group? I doubt it's that. Rather, it's probably just the delay that happens with the moderated group. Some people think of Usenet as a chat room, and when they don't get a response in 5 minutes they assume the worst. -- Phil Marti Clarksburg, MD
                      The nature of that newsgroup is different from most others. The moderator has a real job and doesn't get paid for what he does with this newsgroup. He accepts posts and replies as he has time to deal with them. Besides that, he has had some physical problems recently that have hampered his life. You have to learn a little patience. Chill! Wayne Brasch, CPA, M. S. Taxation

Comment

Thanks for the alert. Four days for one post to appear, and now that I'm
                        done with my taxes. Great. I would have no problem avoiding his newsgroup.
                        But unfortunately it is siphoning off the best tax advice and watering down
                        what you get here. That's the issue.

--
                        Regards,
                        Anthony Giorgianni

to the newsgroup.
                        "Archmedes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
                        news:[email protected] ...
                        Your post is there now. Since you don't have the patience for moderated
                        groups, you
                        should probably avoid them in the future.

Comment

Anthony Giorgianni wrote:
                          Thanks for the alert. Four days for one post to appear, and now that I'm done with my taxes. Great. I would have no problem avoiding his newsgroup. But unfortunately it is siphoning off the best tax advice and watering down what you get here. That's the issue.
                          Tax advice is like software....good, fast and cheap. Pick two.

Comment

Also, since it took four days for my post to appear ... I wonder if I'd have
                            to "chill" another four days for any response ... Let's see... April 16.
                            "Well, Mr. Tax Man, the reason I filed late is because I was chilling
                            waiting for the tax moderated to clear any responses.

Great newsgroup.

--
                            Regards,
                            Anthony Giorgianni

to the newsgroup.

Comment

In article
                              <[email protected]>,
                              "Anthony Giorgianni"
                              <[email protected] > wrote:
                              No, "chill" is my point. Why should people seeking tax advice have to chill when people seeking advice on computers, car repairs, digital photography, free software, health, finance, music, etc get to post their questions and have them answered right away? What is so wrong with people seeking and providing tax advice that they have to be babied by the Usenet tax god? The Usenet should be open and free. By having a moderated group, this guy is making it difficult for people to get advice, diverting attention from the non-moderated group. Last year I sought tax advice for my 95 year old father and had the unmitigated audacity of cross posting to both the moderated and unmoderated versions of these groups - because I didn't know the rules of this moderated tax club, I disqualified my question from appearing on the moderated version where, apparently, the best advice is given. What the heck is wrong with cross-posting? You may have an expert on one group who is not reading the other. If this guy gets rid of the moderated version, people can concentrate on the standard, unmoderated group ... which is open to everyone to post immediately. This guy is just another example of a Usenet Stormtropper, creating an exclusive club that delays or even prevents people's access to help for some inexplicable reason. I have absolutely not appreciation for any of time he spends on this; I have only disdain. Moderated newsgroups largely are a thing if the past because they are a pain for the moderator and for everyone else. He's not doing anyone a service by spending his day at his job and delaying posts for days. If he doesn't have the time, then give it up, Jack. He's just creating a lot of unnecessary aggravation and doing an injustice to people who need help, especially so close to tax time. It is time for that group to hit the trash in favor of this one. -- Regards, Anthony Giorgianni The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back to the newsgroup.
                              All moderated newsgroups take longer to propogate messages. You chose
                              to post your message during the time when most tax preparers practically
                              have to barricade the doors, and only see clients with specific
                              time-slotted appointments. You should be very happy with your 4-day
                              propogation, considering how close it is to April 15. You could have
                              easily chosen to ask the question a month sooner, and would have gotten
                              your response a month sooner. Besides, you got your answer here. The
                              reason for the moderated newsgroup is to keep the noise level down.
                              Here, tax protestors have mostly free reign, and the answer you need can
                              easily get flooded by quantity, as opposed to quality, which you admit
                              is what you get from the moderated newsgroup. You won't see many tax
                              protestors there, as the moderator intentionally blocks them. If you
                              feel this is a stormtrooper tactic, you are welcome to that opinion. If
                              you think there is a problem with that newsgroup, you are certainly free
                              to use your computer's (and your ISP's) resources and host your own
                              newsgroup. If you've ever investigated what is involved in hosting your
                              own newsgroup, you will realize that it can be costly and time
                              consuming. Have some respect for the infrastructure you have taken for
                              granted.

"Wayne Brasch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
                              "Anthony Giorgianni" <[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]
                              No, Phil. I expect it to run not like a chat room but like most every other Usenet newsgroup, in which it take about 30 seconds for posts to migrate worldwide, not THREE DAYS and counting.
                              You've just admitted that you *do* expect it to run like a chat room.
                              "Phil Marti" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]> "Wayne Brasch" <[email protected]> wrote:>> > Why not post your question here exactly as you tried on the other> > newsgroup so we may all see what was so offensive to the moderator of that> > group?>> I doubt it's that. Rather, it's probably just the delay that happens> with> the moderated group. Some people think of Usenet as a chat room, and> when> they don't get a response in 5 minutes they assume the worst.> --> Phil Marti> Clarksburg, MD>> The nature of that newsgroup is different from most others. The moderator has a real job and doesn't get paid for what he does with this newsgroup. He accepts posts and replies as he has time to deal with them. Besides that, he has had some physical problems recently that have hampered his life. You have to learn a little patience. Chill! Wayne Brasch, CPA, M. S. Taxation

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X