Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Can the UK Inland Revenue pursue me in Australia?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can the UK Inland Revenue pursue me in Australia?

    I am an Australian who resided in the UK for around
    five years until moving back to Australia over a
    year ago. While in the UK I worked as an IT contractor
    and took advantage of a marketed tax minimisation

    The UK Inland Revene wrote to me in December challenging
    the scheme and stating thay they were opening an enquiry
    into my 2003 and 2004 tax returns. They threatened
    to initiate formal action to recover what they consider
    to be unpaid taxes if I don't agree to a settlement.

    If I were to decide not to pay any taxes deemed to be
    owing, would the Inland Revenue have any way of
    pursuing me in Australia? If not, what would happen
    if I were to return to the UK to work? How about if
    I were to visit the UK but not work there? Or if
    I were to travel to other countries in the EU?
The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.