My wife and I are married filing separately. We have one son and we meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife and I are married filing separately. We have one son and we meet

My wife and I are married filing separately. We have one son and we meet all of the dependency exemption tests. We contributed an equal amount to our son's support and want to know if we both can claim him on our separate returns?

Adair

Re: My wife and I are married filing separately. We have one son and we meet

A dependency exemption may only be claimed on one return. Since neither you nor your wife contributed more than half of your son's support, one of you can still claim dependency exemption for your son only if the other spouse provides a written declaration that he or she will not claim the child as a dependent for that year. Form 2120 (PDF), Multiple Support Declaration, can be used for this purpose.

Tod

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X