Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

I'm in a big mess here.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm in a big mess here.

    1) Due to a hostile seperation and a failed business my wife had, I neglected to file taxes for 3 years.

    2) I'm retired military. I have a disability from my service time. At the time of retirement I applied for VA reponse. I never followed up (shame on me).

    3) Even after instructed to increase with-holding on my retirement pay the military only takes about $20/month for taxes on a $1200/month retirement.

    4) My present employer made an error and showed me as married with 5 dependents for at least 2 years (how I overlooked that I'll never know)

    Due to all of this I owe a substantial amount to the IRS for back taxes.

    My question(s):

    1) If I apply to the VA for disability can I claim the exemption back to the date I retired?

    2) Is there any way to claim a loss from the failed business without records which my ex-wife refuses to give to me. (I honestly don't think she has any records)

    3) What would be the chances of having my tax debt negotiated to a lower amount? Should I hire a lawyer for this?

  • #2
    You need to consult a tax professional: attorney, CPA, enrolled agent. You can likely file an amended tax return going three years back and have the tax professional assist you in making a settlement of some kind, or maybe even erasing the penalties and liabilities since this is an honest mistake. You could do this yourself, but I think you would be best served to get professional help.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.