I'm in a big mess here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in a big mess here.

1) Due to a hostile seperation and a failed business my wife had, I neglected to file taxes for 3 years.

2) I'm retired military. I have a disability from my service time. At the time of retirement I applied for VA coverage...no reponse. I never followed up (shame on me).

3) Even after instructed to increase with-holding on my retirement pay the military only takes about $20/month for taxes on a $1200/month retirement.

4) My present employer made an error and showed me as married with 5 dependents for at least 2 years (how I overlooked that I'll never know)

Due to all of this I owe a substantial amount to the IRS for back taxes.

My question(s):

1) If I apply to the VA for disability can I claim the exemption back to the date I retired?

2) Is there any way to claim a loss from the failed business without records which my ex-wife refuses to give to me. (I honestly don't think she has any records)

3) What would be the chances of having my tax debt negotiated to a lower amount? Should I hire a lawyer for this?

You need to consult a tax professional: attorney, CPA, enrolled agent. You can likely file an amended tax return going three years back and have the tax professional assist you in making a settlement of some kind, or maybe even erasing the penalties and liabilities since this is an honest mistake. You could do this yourself, but I think you would be best served to get professional help.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X