Am I being Over Taxed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being Over Taxed?

In August 2000 my husbands mother sold the family home to us for $1. Shortly after we made some improvements to the home (new windows and general cleanup). Our property assessment went up from 19000 to 26000. The next year we tore down an old barn that was well on its way and built a garage on the same cement foundation. Property Assessment again went up but this time it went up to 46000. Isn't it against michigan law to raise assessment that much from one year to the next?

Typically, county law informed by state law will dictate when a property is assessed and reassessed. When you do improvements and have to go thru a permitting process, the county will take the work into account to see if it adds to the value of the home and adjust the valuation accordingly. You should investigate if there are exemptions that you can file for the improvements to reduce the valuation and make sure you have filed the homestead exemption. Visiting the county assessor office is a good place to start to ask them to explain their process and to ask for paperwork to file for the exemptions that you can qualify for.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X