X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elklaw
    replied
    Originally posted by plancha1
    I live in Orlando, Florida. I have a six yr. old son who lives with his mother. I have no custody rights or anything. About three years ago she was willing to have me sign over my parental rights to her new husband who wanted to adopt my child. I was going to be signing the documents within 2 weeks when she found out that my fiance was expecting a child of mine and she then cancelled the whole process and began to apply for child support and now she has me oweing her more than $10,000. I am 24 yrs. old and my driver's license has now been suspended. I worked for a hotel as of fall of 2003 until December of 2004. I have never filed my taxes before because I never made enough that needed me to file taxes. This is my first year that I have and I just hear thru the IRS phone system that my refund may be offset due to an old debt thru Child Support. My fiance spoke to the mother of my first child and she was willing to drop all charges but Child Support Services informed her that she cannot do that at this time. And they've advised me that I need to pay in full that they will not help me set up some type of payment plan. I want to know if she wanted to cancel everything could she have done so? How do I find out how much I owe in total and how much I owe for future months? I just want to know if there is any way for me not to lose my refund to her since she is not in need of the money for my child since her husband and herself provide everything. ? If I haven't filed for 2003 tax year and I do so will they also garnish that refund as well? How can I at least get some refund money back that is owe to my now fiance since I claimed her as my dependent? I need some help? Thank you
    Even if child support were terminated now, there would be an arrearage and your tax refund would be wiped out until the arrearage was zero. You should file your taxes because application of the refund will reduce the arrearage. You need to file within three years to attain your refund.

Leave a comment:

• ausi
    replied
    How old is your fiance? How are you claiming her as a dependent? Once child support is brought into the system, you have to pay. I think there's more to the story than you're telling.

You need to understand that you had sex which resulted in a child...it is obvious that the mother is supporting this child which is why she is entitled child support. Your logic makes absolutely no sense when you state that she is not in need of it. You should start using protection until you understand the cost of life.

Because you owe a government agency money, they can-and will-take your tax refund. I don't understand why you think you can claim your fiance as a dependant...I think you need to evaluate your financial situation and your goals for the future, make a plan and stick with it. At 24, you should be more in control of your life situation.

Leave a comment:

• plancha1
    started a topic TaxRefund-Garnishedin FL?

TaxRefund-Garnishedin FL?

I live in Orlando, Florida. I have a six yr. old son who lives with his mother. I have no custody rights or anything. About three years ago she was willing to have me sign over my parental rights to her new husband who wanted to adopt my child. I was going to be signing the documents within 2 weeks when she found out that my fiance was expecting a child of mine and she then cancelled the whole process and began to apply for child support and now she has me oweing her more than $10,000. I am 24 yrs. old and my driver's license has now been suspended. I worked for a hotel as of fall of 2003 until December of 2004. I have never filed my taxes before because I never made enough that needed me to file taxes. This is my first year that I have and I just hear thru the IRS phone system that my refund may be offset due to an old debt thru Child Support. My fiance spoke to the mother of my first child and she was willing to drop all charges but Child Support Services informed her that she cannot do that at this time. And they've advised me that I need to pay in full that they will not help me set up some type of payment plan. I want to know if she wanted to cancel everything could she have done so? How do I find out how much I owe in total and how much I owe for future months? I just want to know if there is any way for me not to lose my refund to her since she is not in need of the money for my child since her husband and herself provide everything. ? If I haven't filed for 2003 tax year and I do so will they also garnish that refund as well? How can I at least get some refund money back that is owe to my now fiance since I claimed her as my dependent? I need some help? Thank you
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X