Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Question??

State of New York.

My wifes stepfather was a deadbeat and a scumbag. She left home at 17 to get away from him. When her mother passed away the court let him stay in the house (which was in her name).

He , of course, didn't pay any taxes and defaulted on a home improvement loan. It's now 10 years later and he is dead (or ill , we're not sure we never see him). My wife has been named in a tax lien involving all these old debts.

What is her responsability. She legitimately did not incure a single dime of this debt?

If the home was not left to her legally, she is not liable. She should investigate. Also, they may think she was executor of her mother's estate. You should challenge this lien and show that it does not relate to her, that she does not own the home, and if it was left to her she is repudiating the debt and not accepting the home as she cannot be forced to. Most attorneys provide free consultation. I think going to an estate attorney could help out a lot to better understand this matter.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X