1099s and unemployment North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1099s and unemployment North Carolina

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully respond!!

I am a divorced mother of two who received unemployment all of 2012. I had a weekly earnings allowance of $86. My unemployment ran out last month, so at this time, I have no income at all.

During the year, I occasionally cleaned houses for a couple of friends and relatives to help make ends meet, namely to pay power bill and other bills. I did not receive any money directly, and did not report any earnings to unemployment. Instead, the bills were paid. I never was compensated more than what equaled out to be the $86 weekly allowance.

My question is, while filing my income taxes, if I include the amount i was compensated on 1099's, will i be required to repay the unemployment even though I never went over the weekly earning allowance, and what penalties could I be subjected to?

The value of the compensation you received for cleaning is taxable and should be reported to UI. If it is under the allowable limit, there should not be a problem. If that electric bill was over $86, you could have a problem. If it is under, I want to know where you live.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X