Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

1040-X, SE income -> misc. Reasonable?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1040-X, SE income -> misc. Reasonable?

    In the prior year I made some money helping my friend and got some income out of it.

    following factors from the pub 535 apply

    1. I did not depend on income from this activity
    2. This is one-time activity, never before, never after
    3. This activity is way outside what I do, so primary motivations were:
    - to spend time with my friend
    - learn something new by doing it.
    4. no business entity was established.

    I accepted payment in checks, I got no 1099-MISC (my friend was too lazy). I got about 11K, out of which about 6K was the equipment I installed in his basement, about 4K I retained as a profit. I was filing a tax return by myself, so I filed this amount as a self-employed income (schedule C and schedule SE).

    I wonder, today, can I reclassify this income as misc income, report deductions on 1040A and claim back the SE tax?

    How likely is it to trigger the audit?
    How likely is it to trigger the audit if I reduce the amount of the deductions taken?
    Will it still trigger the audit if I reduce the amount of the deductions claimed to a point where I will owe more tax and pay the said tax?


  • #2
    I don't know if you will receive any additional/different information than what you received/will receive on the other forum but you can hold & see.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.