X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer not giving corrected W2 Wisconsin

Hi There,

I was working for an employer A in 2008 and got the W2 in 2009. I was paid for wages working in Arizona but the employer withheld taxes for WI instead of AZ. I had asked them to correct it and they said that you can pay taxes to AZ and claim a refund from Wisconsin. I did the same and WI asked me to provide the corrected W2. I asked the employer for the same and instead of giving the corrected W2, they sent and letter to WI stating that taxes were withheld in error and they should refund my taxes. But still WI did not agree and wants the corrected W2C. The employer is not willing to give me the corrected W2C claiming that its costly for them. What are my options?

Thanks and Regards.

Originally posted by sg123 View Post
    Hi There,

I was working for an employer A in 2008 and got the W2 in 2009. I was paid for wages working in Arizona but the employer withheld taxes for WI instead of AZ. I had asked them to correct it and they said that you can pay taxes to AZ and claim a refund from Wisconsin. I did the same and WI asked me to provide the corrected W2. I asked the employer for the same and instead of giving the corrected W2, they sent and letter to WI stating that taxes were withheld in error and they should refund my taxes. But still WI did not agree and wants the corrected W2C. The employer is not willing to give me the corrected W2C claiming that its costly for them. What are my options?

Thanks and Regards.
    Call the IRS and request their assistance in the matter or forget about it.
    Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

Hi Calbert,

Thanks for the response. I am planning to call IRS and seek their help. Will it work to go to a claims court and file a claim from the company for the amount of refund I was expecting from WI?

Thanks and Regards.

Comment

No, it won't. Do you perform ALL your work in Arizona? If so, the employer is just plain wrong and I'm sure the AZ Dept. of Revenue would be interested in the fact that your employer is not reporting your wages to. AZ and deducting the required AZ income tax. The UI Commission might also be interested, assuming the employer is also reporting for wages for unemployment purposes to WI in error.

I'm not sure how much the IRS will be interested in assisting in this case, since federal wages/taxes are not incorrect. You can try, though.
        Last edited by Pattymd; 02-11-2010, 02:32 AM.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
          No, it won't. Do you perform ALL your work in Arizona? If so, the employer is just plain wrong and I'm sure the AZ Dept. of Revenue would be interested in the fact that your employer is not reporting your wages to. AZ and deducting the required AZ income tax. The UI Commission might also be interested, assuming the employer is also reporting for wages for unemployment purposes to WI in error.

I'm not sure how much the IRS will be interested in assisting in this case, since federal wages/taxes are not incorrect. You can try, though.
          The IRS won't help because its a state matter. However you are correct, the AZ Dept of Revenue might very well help.

Also, if the WI Dept of Revenue has a taxpayer's advocate, they might very well assist in resolving the matter as well. I have found state taxpayer advocates to be very helpful to my clients in resolving these types of matters.
          Last edited by LdiJ; 02-11-2010, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LdiJ View Post
            The IRS won't help because its a state matter. However you are correct, the AZ Dept of Revenue might very well help.

Also, if the WI Dept of Revenue has a taxpayer's advocate, they might very well assist in resolving the matter as well. I have found state taxpayer advocates to be very helpful to my clients in resolving these types of matters.
            Agree about the taxpayer advocate. I had an employer issue in WI that I couldn't get resolved. Finally emailed the director, who referred me to the taxpayer advocate and it was resolved in 48 hours.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I did all my work abd lived in AZ for the whole year of 2008. I filed return in 2009 and didn't get my refund from WI.
              Hence , I disputed that but was asked for corrected W2C.
              Please let me know what is UI Commission. Please also let me know how can I get a taxpayers advocate.
              Can you pass me the email address of the director who you mailed?

Comment

The UI Commission in Arizona is the Dept. of Economic Security.
                https://www.azdes.gov/main.aspx?menu=317&id=3853

Department of Revenue-Arizona
                http://www.azdor.gov/ContactUs/TelephoneNumbers.aspx

Department of Revenue-Wisconsin
                http://www.dor.state.wi.us/contact/ise.html

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post

I have a friend at the AZ DOR who is an investigator. PM me if you'd like me to inquire of him regarding this. His word cannot be held as "legal advice" in court, but I am willing to bet he can provide some answers.
                  Last edited by CatBert; 02-13-2010, 11:10 AM. Reason: Would like to add an I to nvestigator
                  Not everything in America is actionable in a court of law. Please remember that attorneys are in business for profit, and they get paid regardless of whether or not you win or lose.

I offer my knowledge and experience at no charge, I admit that I am NOT infallible, I am wrong sometimes, hopefully another responder will correct me if that is the case with the answer above, regardless, it is your responsibility to verify any and all information provided.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                  Working...
                  X