This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I file? Illinois

I live in Illinois. The company I work for is in Georgia. I am the Chicago area technician, so I work out of my house/car. Do I just file my state taxes in Illinois?

Almost certainly IL. The answer is not GA. IRS does not care where the employer is based. GA does not care about anyone who neither works or lives in their state. The state you live in probably cares. The state all work is done in cares. The state a little work is done in may care. I am not saying this is you, but when a person works in more then one state, you can safely assume that life just got complicated. But states (mostly) look at where the work was actually physically done. There have been some really odd NYS decisions in this area, but that is not one of the states you mentioned.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Originally posted by Shep3470 View Post
      I live in Illinois. The company I work for is in Georgia. I am the Chicago area technician, so I work out of my house/car. Do I just file my state taxes in Illinois?
      I agree with the other response, assuming that your employer properly withheld IL taxes and did not improperly withhold GA taxes.

Check box 15 on your W2. If it says IL, you are good to go. If it says GA, go see a tax professional.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X