This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona company refusing to correct rate amount Arizona

2 months ago I went to work for a catering company in Scottsdale. Their accountant had just quit and it was about 3 weeks before I received my first check which appeared to be a private check from the company. I was bothered by the fact that it was not accompanied by a stub of some kind to explain how they arrived at the figure, but it looked to be correct so I went on with my life.

2 weeks later everyone else received a normal pay check again through the payroll company and I did not. I received 2 private checks again... I have no idea why they split my earnings up on 2 checks, accompanied with a note from the owner stating that she had done this for tax purposes. It also listed her math, and that she was reporting money to ADP on my next check as a pay advance for taxes. This was the first time it listed the rate of pay which I promptly realized was 1.50 an hour below the rate I had agreed to work. I reported it to my supervisor who admitted it was wrong and that he would have it fixed. At this point I gave notice of my intent to seek employment elsewhere. I received one more check, this time through ADP. The rate was wrong again and I kept inquiring as to when I would be receiving my check for back pay due to the wrong rate. I was informed a new accountant was hired and it would all be sorted out soon.

After 3 weeks of not hearing anything from them I texted my previous supervisor to inquire about the check containing the 1.50 per every hour I had worked for them that they owed to me. He then left me a voice mail stating that he had discussed the situation with their new accountant and her advice to me was to stop pursuing the money they owed me because the entire time I worked for them despite the notes that accompanied my checks the company had not reported any of my income to the IRS. She said I was going to end up owing more money then they owed to me. He also left me her phone number.

After discussing it with my husband I tried to contact this woman for a week leaving messages stating I had spoken with "our accountant" and that I still needed to receive a check or a statement from ADP or something for our records to protect us in the event that tax time rolls around and we owe money or my w2 is tampered with in some funny little way.

She finally left me a message today stating again that they could not pay me the money from the wrong rate because I would owe back taxes on all of my income, and furthermore that if I even wanted them to report my previous income, that I would have to work for them some more... so that they would owe me the money that they should have taken out in the first place.

I feel like I am being blackmailed?! And further more I was lead to believe with her little notes that taxes were being withheld correctly due to the fact that 1.50 per hour was missing from my checks! What do I do here? My dad says to let it go and wait until I receive a W-2 but what do I do if they have reported all of that money and I owe taxes on it?

Originally posted by foxysarah99 View Post
    2 months ago I went to work for a catering company in Scottsdale. Their accountant had just quit and it was about 3 weeks before I received my first check which appeared to be a private check from the company. I was bothered by the fact that it was not accompanied by a stub of some kind to explain how they arrived at the figure, but it looked to be correct so I went on with my life.

2 weeks later everyone else received a normal pay check again through the payroll company and I did not. I received 2 private checks again... I have no idea why they split my earnings up on 2 checks, accompanied with a note from the owner stating that she had done this for tax purposes. It also listed her math, and that she was reporting money to ADP on my next check as a pay advance for taxes. This was the first time it listed the rate of pay which I promptly realized was 1.50 an hour below the rate I had agreed to work. I reported it to my supervisor who admitted it was wrong and that he would have it fixed. At this point I gave notice of my intent to seek employment elsewhere. I received one more check, this time through ADP. The rate was wrong again and I kept inquiring as to when I would be receiving my check for back pay due to the wrong rate. I was informed a new accountant was hired and it would all be sorted out soon.

After 3 weeks of not hearing anything from them I texted my previous supervisor to inquire about the check containing the 1.50 per every hour I had worked for them that they owed to me. He then left me a voice mail stating that he had discussed the situation with their new accountant and her advice to me was to stop pursuing the money they owed me because the entire time I worked for them despite the notes that accompanied my checks the company had not reported any of my income to the IRS. She said I was going to end up owing more money then they owed to me. He also left me her phone number.

After discussing it with my husband I tried to contact this woman for a week leaving messages stating I had spoken with "our accountant" and that I still needed to receive a check or a statement from ADP or something for our records to protect us in the event that tax time rolls around and we owe money or my w2 is tampered with in some funny little way.

She finally left me a message today stating again that they could not pay me the money from the wrong rate because I would owe back taxes on all of my income, and furthermore that if I even wanted them to report my previous income, that I would have to work for them some more... so that they would owe me the money that they should have taken out in the first place.

I feel like I am being blackmailed?! And further more I was lead to believe with her little notes that taxes were being withheld correctly due to the fact that 1.50 per hour was missing from my checks! What do I do here? My dad says to let it go and wait until I receive a W-2 but what do I do if they have reported all of that money and I owe taxes on it?
    They should fix everything, however, they are correct that your withholding wasn't done properly, and that they needed to adjust it on a future paycheck. (reduce the amount from a future paycheck to cover the tax that wasn't withheld). Since you have no future paycheck to take it from except for the 1.50 per hour, it may be that you would actually owe them money, rather than the reverse. However, if they report the earnings to the IRS and show that nothing was withheld (which most likely they will do) then they negate the argument that you aren't due the 1.50 per hour.

How much total money are we talking about that was paid with regular checks, rather than payroll checks? If it was less than 600.00, they may not report the money to the IRS at all.

Comment

it was more then 600, almost 2,000.

What they want me to do is essentially forget it ever happened. They elude to the fact that this won't be reported to my taxes. However, I can't save all of these voice mails until tax time to protect myself in the event that they report all that money and then deny my claim to the 1.50 an hr.

Also I don't even know how to proceed when they say, "we won't/can't/refuse to even report this money to APS, until we owe you some more money".

Comment

Originally posted by foxysarah99 View Post
        it was more then 600, almost 2,000.

What they want me to do is essentially forget it ever happened. They elude to the fact that this won't be reported to my taxes. However, I can't save all of these voice mails until tax time to protect myself in the event that they report all that money and then deny my claim to the 1.50 an hr.

Also I don't even know how to proceed when they say, "we won't/can't/refuse to even report this money to APS, until we owe you some more money".
        Ok, then you insist, over and over again if necessary that they make the corrections, and then you be prepared to pay them back whatever amount is necessary to make things balance.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X