Payroll deduction for commuting expenses

Aha! I just found it!

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/fringe_benefit_fslg.pdf

Leave a comment:

• zabarkes
    replied
    Payroll deduction for commuting expenses

I'm not getting anywhere, I'm afraid.

I just want to know: what constitutes an eligible commuting expense for which an employer can deduct salary on a pre-tax basis and how much is allowed to be deducted for each type of expense. This information must be available somewhere!

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Yes and no. The GPO (Government Printing Office) maintains a website with pretty much all public access information on it. That is the good news. The bad news is that it can be very hard to actually find anything, even though it is probably there. I have never gotten very good at this website, probably because I have had access to paid websites where it was easy to find things, and I always thought that my time was worth something.

But if you look long enough, you will probably find it. Or not.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/

Leave a comment:

• zabarkes
    replied
    Payroll deduction...

Thank you. But do you know where I can find this in public information? I need to refer to the original sources.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    I go the following from BNA (a paid service).

Q-11. May qualified transportation fringes be provided to employees pursuant to a compensation reduction agreement?
    A-11.
    Yes. An employer may offer employees a choice between cash compensation and any qualified transportation fringe. An employee who is offered this choice and who elects qualified transportation fringes is not required to include the cash compensation in income if--
    (a) The election is pursuant to an arrangement described in Q/A-12 of this section;
    (b) The amount of the reduction in cash compensation does not exceed the limitation in Q/A-13 of this section;
    (c) The arrangement satisfies the timing and reimbursement rules in Q/A-14 and 16 of this section; and
    (d) The related fringe benefit arrangement otherwise satisfies the requirements set forth elsewhere in this section.

Leave a comment:

• zabarkes
    replied
    Payroll deduction for commuting expenses Massachusetts

Thank you for this information. I found IRS publication 15B (Fringe Benefits) section on Qualified Transportation Benefits. But I'm at a loss as to how to find the regulation 1.132-9(b)(Q-11) this publication refers to. Do you have any advice?

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Look at IRS publication 15B (Fringe Benefits). The section is called Qualified Transportation Benefits. The specific regulation you are talking about is 1.132-9(b)(Q-11).

Leave a comment:

• Payroll deduction for commuting expenses Massachusetts

I'm looking for the IRS legislation that allows employers to deduct pre-tax dollars from their employees' paychecks that can be used for the purchase or transit checks or passes, gas and/or parking fees. I've tried the internet and the IRS website, but so far no luck. Has anyone come across the actual law? I think it's IRS Section 132.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X