This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about dependent Texas

Is there any way to find out if a specific person is or has been claimed as a dependent ?

If two people claim the same dependent, the IRS will catch it and will take action.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Ok

So that was the answer to the question i asked?

Comment

Originally posted by bholabhala View Post
        So that was the answer to the question i asked?
        There is no way to find out, in advance, if someone has claimed someone else as a dependent.

If you file a return electronically (and so did the other party, unless at least 6weeks has passed since the other party filed) you will find out immediately if someone else claimed one of your dependents, because your return will get rejected.

However, if you are filing a paper return, then you won't find out until about 6-8 months down the road that someone else claimed the same dependent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X