This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I file for paychecks unreceived? New York

As an independent contractor, I've done several jobs for clients this year, between the months of September and December of 2006, for which I have submitted invoices but have not yet received payment.

If the payment arrives mid-January of 2007, is that income reportable in my 2006 fed & state taxes, or should reporting that income be delayed to report in my 2007 taxes?

The answer is "it depends."

There are two methods of accounting -- cash and accrual.

For cash based, you only report receipts. With accrual, you report invoices.

One little problem with accrual based is that you could end up reporting "income" based on a sale this year, pay taxes on it and end up having to write it off as a bad debt next year when the client fails to pay.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

thanks

thanks for the quick reply; your explanation clears things up.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X