Retirement /pension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement /pension

I live in Pa and was recently "retired" from my place of employment after almost 30 years due to our plant closing. I am 51. Are there any options that will allow me to draw a small amount annually from my 401K/pension plan before age 59 w/o incurring a 10% tax penalty?
    thanks for your advice

Early Withdrawals

I am not aware of any loopholes. However, the following link may answer your question regarding the early withdrawal.
    Lillian Connell

Forum Moderator
    www.laborlawtalk.com

Comment

from the IRS website
      http://www.irs.gov/publications/p575/ar02.html#d0e4069
      If I retire or am laid off before I am 59 1/2, can I withdraw the funds accumulated in a 401(k) plan, without having to pay a 10% penalty?

In most cases, if you withdraw funds from your 401(k) plan before you are 59 1/2, you must pay the 10 percent additional tax on early distributions from qualified retirement plans on any amounts that are not rolled into an IRA. However, there are some exceptions listed in Publication 560, Retirement Plans for Small Business and Publication 575, Pension and Annuity Income.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X