This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my friend do this? Massachusetts

I have a small issue and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me. A friend of mine shares an apartment with another person. The two of them have a lease with their landlord. I'm considering moving in with them. I've asked to speak to or at least be introduced to their landlord. My friend and his room mate won't introduce me or give me any contact info. I asked if I could be added to their lease. My friend and his roommate have come up with every excuse under the sun as to why I can't. What my friend has done was create a separate lease agreement (which looks semi-official, but looks nothing like any other Massachusetts lease agreement I've ever signed) and he names himself as the landlord. Is that even legal? Keep in mind that this is a rental apartment, not a condo that my friend owns. I asked to see his lease with his landlord because I know that if it states they are not allowed to sub-let then this other "lease agreement" wouldn't be legal.

Lets say hypothetically that I already signed it. Does that change anything? Would signing a document that isn't valid give it any validity? Would it have to have been notarized? (It wasn't). Is there any other reasons why a document like this wouldn't be legal?

Thanks

Sounds like they dont think the landlord would agree to having you there and dont want to actually have you on a lease. If you feel you need to meet the landlord, why dont you meet with him without waiting for them to arrange it?
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

They want you to be a sublessee, aka their tenant, and to have no rights vis a vis the landlord. I'd run like the wind. Your 'friend' is looking to screw you.
      I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

I agree with Alice. Sounds like they are trying to sub-let to you, and that is likely against any written contract they may have with their current landlord. Doing such most usually gets people kicked out. Landlords don't like it, and I can't say that I blame them.
        I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
        Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
        I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
        Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X