This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise ordinance Pennsylvania

In the town I live in, there is a noice ordinance of 10pm. You are not allowed to make noise that is going to bother other people, or your neighbors after 10pm. But, for a building itself, with 3 different tenants, is there a noise ordinance? Meaning, is there a certain time of the day (ex..9am-9pm) where you should be able to do normal things around the house without having your door knocked on or your wall pounded on by your neighbors? I have already looked in our lease, and it states that you are to be respectful of your neighbors when it comes to the noise , but it doesn't give certain times. Thank You.

This is general, I don't know your state's laws. Residential leases come with an implied covenant of the right to 'quiet enjoyment' of your unit. The landlord is responsible for enforceing that, since your contract is with the landlord. I haven't read your ordinance, but it should apply within your building as well.

However, I have to tell you, there are ways for your neighbor AND landlord to make your life miserable if you start calling the police or the landlord. Landlords like to get rid of people who make them work harder- and that's the person complaining, not the person making the noise, unless the other tenant in your building joins you in complaining. So be careful in how you approach this.

The best thing is to try to work it out with your neighbor. If that doesn't work, tell the landlord, and then the police, if the landlord doesn't respond.

Keep a log of when the noise is, and what type of noise (stereo, loud parties, etc.) and how long it lasts. Another fun avenue is to sue the neighbor in small claims court, each month, for nuisance you suffer each month. Since the neighbors are likely violating an ordinance, you'd likely be successful, but I don't know how you would determine how much to sue for. You could sue for the max allowed and ask the judge how much she would have to be paid to put up with all this noise.

This assumes that the noise is not just walking around (my upstairs neighbor never seems to sit down. It's a studio apartment, I don't know what she could be doing since everything is within reach but she walks heavy. Unfortunately, you can't sue someone for walking in their own apartment, unless maybe they're wearing hooker platforms that make a racket.

Hope this helps, if not, give us more details as to the nature of the noise and what you've done so far.
    I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Are you getting complaints about the noise you are making during the day or are you having problems with noise other people are making during the day? It's not completely clear in your post. Thanks.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sorry I didn't go into any detail, for it is a little bit of a long story. There are 3 tenants in our building ( I am on one end, another in the middle, then the last ones on the opposite end of the building...all joined by paper thin walls). It all started back on October 26--yes, I know that is the date. My 2 kids kids got into one big fight and argument--not physical, just verbal. The middle neighbors had a newborn---now 3 months old---and it was 9:30 pm. The mother came knocking on my door and asked me to quiet down because she had just gotten her baby to sleep and didn't want her to wake back up. I understood, so we did, I got my 2 kids to settle down and all was well and good, so I thought. An hour later, the state cops showed up at my door. They wanted to make sure everything was ok in my home because "when other people in the building hear yelling, they don't know what the problem is",...that is what they said to me. We, meaning me and my 2 girls, apoplogized to them, and they were on their way. Ever since then, we have been making sure that we keep quiet at night, and watch what time of the day we do our laundry and play our music and do other things and there has been very little to no fighting, because I keep reminding my kids about the baby next door. But, that wasn't the problem, this is....even though we have been doing all that because of the baby, they ( meaning the middle neighbors with the 3 month old ) could care less how much noise they make day or night. From slamming doors, to stomping up and down the steps, you name it they do it. Just this past weekend, they decided to have a party on Friday night. The problem with that was that starting at 9pm and ending at 11:30 pm, they were playing video games or music or something that was making loud thumping noises through all the walls of the building. It woke me up, but I didn't say anything. Next thing I know, there was a knock on my door, this time from the other nieghbor at the opposite end of the building. He said "I am sorry to bother you but could you please ask your daughter to turn down her music because it is thumping through my walls and we just got home and got our kids to bed".I told him it wasn't coming from me, that it was coming from the middle apartment, he said, "I just checked with them and they said it was you"...WOW!!!! So, he went back and talked to them again,and it made her--the mother of the 3 month old mad!!! The rest of the night, she was angry, she talked crap about anything and everyone that lived in the building to her company. She wasn't quiet about it either, because she made the statement that she knew we could hear her but she didn't care. They were all up---including the baby crying---until 2am. When I got up the next day (11am) I started my weekend cleaning and laundry and such. The father of the baby was at work, so I thought it was going to be an ok day. When the father came home, the mother gave him an earful about how it took her forever to get the baby to sleep and how everytime she went to go to sleep, something woke her up. This lasted clear up until Sunday, because they had more company over Saturday night and she complained to them, about the same stuff she complained about Friday night. Sunday was a pretty quiet day for all of us, until they left around 7pm that night. When they did, they slammed their back door, and stomped down the steps. Then, someone stomped back up the steps, opended and slammed their door AGAIN, then stomped back down the steps and left.

Now, I am not saying that we are not allowed to have parties and friends over at all...it was just the things that went on and how things were handled. Yes, I did go to the landlord after trying to figure out what to do about it, and the landlord told me things I didn't even know. So, after that I came home...which this was yesterday...and I felt a little better about things. Until last night...they decided to pound on my wall because I was talking to my daughter while she was in the bathroom and I was on our steps...our bahroom is right at the top of the stairs...I only talked to her from there, because I was trying to give my daughter her privacy while she was in there. This happened at 9pm.

I am a very patient person, but I can see this is going to be a constant problem. I don't want to go to the landlord with every little problem with these people, but the landord did tell me that if they cause more problems, to call them and let them know.

Thank you for letting me explain...it was a long story!!!

Comment

Sounds like one you can't win, unless you can get the landlord to insulate the walls better. As for their noise, keep a log. Try to record the conversations you hear when they're being loud, from within your apartment. Certainly log anything that is after 10pm. As for the cops, if you have a great recording to play them when they come the next time, they'll start getting on your side and seeing the neighbors as nut cases. Then YOU can start calling the cops on them, but keep in mind that this will likely escalate things. As for the baby, they can't ask you to be quiet all the time if the walls are that thin.

Mabye if your landlord hears from you AND the people on the other end of the triplex, he'll be wiling to do something. Either boot out the clowns (if they're so inconsiderate, they'd probably also be inconsiderate to the owner's property and leave lots of damage) or insulate the walls better. If he has to go into their unit to insulate as well, and sees damage, he may be willing to throw them out.

But the picture isnt' pretty, and probably the only way it's going to be resolved is if you, or they, move out.
          I am not an attorney, and don't play one on TV. Any information given is a description only and should be verified by your attorney.

Comment

Agree, it sounds like this is not going to be resolved very easily & it
            might come down to one of the parties moving.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Thank you both for your insight,and allowing me to explain the sitution to you. One thing the ladlord did tell me was that even though they couldn't go into detail about what was being done about these neighbors (apparently I am not the only one who complained about that weekend, but other people have complained about other things as well regarding this set of neighbors), they said that they are in the process of doing something and they said we should see results by the Holidays.

Comment

I hope things work out for you - good luck.

Comment

Sounds like your neighbors are going to be moving soon...... Just keep your cool and see what happens.

Comment

Hi everyone. It has been a few months since I have written with concerns about problems with my neighbors. I have to say that it has been a LONG 3 months but, they have finally moved out (on 3-30-12) The lanlord got wind of everything that had been going on since the other end neighbors and I have brought all this to their attention, and they sent them a letter stating they either needed to "cool it", or move out. I will say, that for the problems neighbors being adults, they sure didn't act like it at all. The pounding on the walls got worse, it actually got so bad that no matter what time of the day we made any kind of noise, our walls got pounded on. Everytime we went to the landlord abou tthem doing things like that, and other stuff, we thought the landlord was just "blowing smoke" because month after month, they were still here. It wasn't until mid March when the landlord found out other things abou tthis couple, things we didn't know about...other people in the neighborhood was watching our building also, and reporting to our lanlord. Needless to say, since we live in the building, we got the blame for whatever they were in trouble for. I thought I could put all the pounding of the walls and other things that went on behind us, until the "girl" part of the couple decided to "spit" on my car as they took out their last load of things, and left. She also told me that I needed to start looking for another place to live because things were happening with me also...yes, I called my landlord, and he assured me that I wasn't being evicted. But, it does make me wonder what she meant.

I would like to thank all of you who gave me advice and told me to "hang in there"...I hung on tightly, because it sure was a bumpy ride!! Thanks again!!!

Comment

I'm glad they moved & the very best of luck to you.

Comment

Glad it's over. Sounds bad, but it could have been worse. Good riddance, and hope the door hit them in the behind on the way out.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X