This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contents in rented storage unit damaged.....help!! Arizona

I rent a storage unit that is located underneath an apartment building. Last week the landlord informed me that the sink from the apartment above the unit has been leaking for quite some time and there might be some minor damage to the contents in the unit. When I went to assess the situation myself, I found EXTENSIVE damage. The landlord had, in the meantime, removed some of the contents (including antique furniture, etc.) and had just thrown them in the hallway. Most of the furniture is damaged beyond repair. I have lost a lot not only monetarily, but also sentimental value. The landlord has offered a month's free rent on the storage as compensation. I feel that this is by no means close to satisfactory but am not sure what my rights are concerning this. Can anyone please advise me on what I should do.

Frustrated in AZ

I'm really sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately he doesn't even have to offer you that. It's why it's really important to have renters insurance. Most people think that if their rental has a fire, flood, etc.. that the LL's insurance covers them but it doesn't. It only covers the LL's loss.

These days more and more LL's are requiring their tenants to obtain renters insurance. I think that's smart and we hope to own rental property some day and we will require it.

Comment

Does the landlord own the storage area also? I dissagree, that there is nothing you can do. You paid for a safe storage of your belongings, storage units carry insurance,so when things happen, it is covered. If he does not have insurance, that does not mean that he is not responsible for HIS leaky faucet. I would contact an attorney for some advise. Take pictures of everything! The ceiling, that will show the damage from the leaking, your property, and how it was damaged. I could be wrong, but I feel that he is 100% liable for this damage. It may be different if it was caused by a freak storm, but this damage was caused by bad plumbing, that was the LL responsibility to fix in the first place. His neglect to fix the plumbing, is what caused the damage to your property. I hope someone comes along and helps with some information, I will let you know if I find some.

I have found a site that states that an owner does not have to offer insurance, but on this page it also described tenants taking the LL to court anyhow, and lawyer settling out of court, to avoid high attorney fees, and court costs. I stil think that since this was neglect, and not an act of god, that the LL is liable, but I am not an attorney, so I am not 100% sure!
      Last edited by turbowray; 11-02-2006, 09:20 PM.

Comment

tubowray, there is absolutely nothing in the original post that indicates that the landlord knew that there was a plumbing problem and failed to fix it. It was leaking into a storage unit that the OP visited infrequently, at best, which is likely the primary reason why it wasn't noticed immediately.
        Last edited by Marketeer; 11-03-2006, 07:28 AM.
        I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Understood Marketeer, does the OP have any recourse at all here, I am not aware of any, since I have read, and the LL does not have to offer insurance?

Comment

Would there be any recourse against the upstairs tenant who apparently didn't report the leak? Long shot, I'm sure, but...

Comment

Katja, please do not reply to old threads - this thread is from 2006. Thanks.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X