Wrongully Terminated???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrongully Terminated???

Up until 3 days ago I worked for an offshore drilling company in Texas. I was the office manager(in other words, everyone's "go-to-girl"). I was given a warning last week from my supervisor. The human resources manager gave me "the warning" and commented that it all stemmed from me forgetting her(my supervisor) hotel reservations in London the week before. So they were going to give me two weeks to get "organized" and focus. The following Monday (5/8/06) I was fired. I was so angry and hurt that I froze up and kept my mouth shut. They did not offer me any severence pay. What are my rights? Especially since there were (in writing on my warning) supposed to give me two weeks?????? Someone please help me.

Short of a bona fide employment contract specifying your terms of employment, you are an "at-will" employee, which means you can be discharged at any time for any reason which does not violate the law, and you can quit at any time for any reason. The employer is not required by law to adhere to the terms of a warning if they choose not to. This is not a wrongful termination in the eyes of the law and the only recourse you have at this point is to brush up your resume and immediately file for unemployment benefits.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

i was there for only 8 months.

Comment

joec, what difference does it make how long the poster worked there, as regards "wrongful termination" ? She was already advised to file for unemployment.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

At-will no longer means at-whim.
          ???? what does that mean ????? i've never heard of "at whim" employment...

Comment

i've never heard of "at whim" employment

Seriously, though, OP, most employers don't like firing employees and they don't normally do it "on a whim".
            Pattymd
            Last edited by Pattymd; 05-13-2006, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Joe is a conspiracy theorist. Ignore him.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

OK, will do.

Comment

well it definitly seems as though they fired me on "a whim".

Comment

You can be fired for any reason that does not specifically violate the law, whim or not.
                    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Which doesn't change the fact that the OP was termed "at will" and how many employees the employer had is irrelevant. Given what was posted, this isn't even a case of "at will". The OP was termed for forgetting hotel reservations, which is a perfectly valid reason. The OP may disagree that it was a serious enough offense to warrant termination, but that is simply her opinion.
                      I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Reply to ElleMD

Would it change your opinion of I told you that the hotel reservations I didn't make for her were not work related and they were for her and her husband's personal vacation time? And that I feel she used this as an excuse because she didn't like me from the day she got hired? Yes, I was there before her and she conned her way into being my supervisor?

Comment

Originally posted by little_red79
                          Would it change your opinion of I told you that the hotel reservations I didn't make for her were not work related and they were for her and her husband's personal vacation time? And that I feel she used this as an excuse because she didn't like me from the day she got hired? Yes, I was there before her and she conned her way into being my supervisor?
                          Thats irrelevant
                          Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Nope, not at all. It still isn't wrongful termination. It may be unfair if this wasn't a work related request, but it was perfectly legal for her to ask this of you, and perfecty legal for her to term you for not doing it. It really doesn't matter if she liked you or not as the law doesn't change either way.
                            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

It is quite a leap to assume that there is a set policy in place that rises to the level of a bonafide contract and that this would be a violation of it even if it were. Particularly since that possibility was mentioned and the OP has not shared that is the case in any subsequent postings.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X