Call Center Bellsouth Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Center Bellsouth Florida

I work in a Bellsouth call center and much is wrong there with management right up to and including corporate. I am a professional and wish to be treated in that manner when I go to the workplace. Because Bellsouth is a very difficult company to work for to begin with i.e. high sales quotas, pleasing the customers no matter how ugly and rank they are, being subservient to the most obnoxious demanding customers, strict adherence to your schedule, using an unfriendly slow computer system and trying to help customers with horrendous problems in under 6 min, etc. Trying daily to keep the job and working through these many things is a struggle to say the least.
    Just when I think it can't get worse they come up with some new way of torturing the entire sales staff. Of late they have taken to installing and using a P.A. system having clerks and managers calling out every time someone is late from break or lunch, announcing on the hour how many sales the office needs to stay number 1, this is done loudly and interferes with doing the job effectively. Sometimes customers ask about what they are saying. It it my contention that it is un-proffessional and demeaning to everyone within ear shot...it makes the office sound like K-mart or Walmart and customers question anything you are saying when they hear someone loudly saying ...WE NEED LONG DISTANCE AND DSL COME ON TEAM GET WITH IT! It also sends the message to each and every employee that says we are nothing and management can say or do anything they **** well please and the rest of us have no choice but to take it or quit.
    My question is this, if abuse is against the law in families and schools, why don't those laws apply to abusive employers? Is there anything that can be done about this.? It is as bad as a constant drip on one's head day in and day out, I leave there with headaches everyday due to the noise and the flashing they have rigged in the system that brings up the customers phone number. When I went to a mgr about this I was told disgustingly that what I want doesn't count and perhaps this isn't the job for me. This person was hateful and mean when it was said like they were taunting me and daring me to do anything about it. When I went to the union the steward told me that if I file a grievance about this incident to watch my back because that mgr will be out to get me ....? What can I do about this, I have retirement in 7 years and am too old to look for another job...please help

Unfortunately poor managment is not a crime. Unless you were being singled out because of your age, race, sex, etc. there isn't much you can do.

I'm sorry to hear you have to work with this environment, if it makes and differance to you it's clearly identified a careeer path I won't take.

Comment

My question is this, if abuse is against the law in families and schools, why don't those laws apply to abusive employers? What you describe sounds fairly obnoxious but it certainly wouldn't qualify as any form of domestive violence or illegal abuse under any criminal or civil statutes.

When I went to a mgr about this I was told disgustingly that what I want doesn't count and perhaps this isn't the job for me. I think your mangager is right. I wouldn't like working in the environment you describe which means the job wouldn't be for me either.

What can I do about this, I have retirement in 7 years and am too old to look for another job You have only two choices: (1) stick it out until retirement, or (2) look for a new job elsewhere. Nothing you describe remotely suggests anything unlawful is taking place. Only you can decide whether staying there another seven years will be worth it. You clearly intensely dislike your job and the environment and seven years is a long time to be miserable. Good luck.

Comment

transfer to another dept?

Have you considered transfering to a department outside of Sales?
        I know BellSouth has a very demanding sales dept,
        but there are other depts that are not so obnoxious.

You may have to take a cut in pay, but
        at least you can keep seniority, retire in seven years,
        and best of all, get rid of the Sales stress.
        Jus a thought

Comment

yes unfortunately everyone is doing this 2

Comment

call center environment /// bellsouth

Originally posted by nokaoi
            I work in a Bellsouth call center and much is wrong there with management right up to and including corporate. I am a professional and wish to be treated in that manner when I go to the workplace. Because Bellsouth is a very difficult company to work for to begin with i.e. high sales quotas, pleasing the customers no matter how ugly and rank they are, being subservient to the most obnoxious demanding customers, strict adherence to your schedule, using an unfriendly slow computer system and trying to help customers with horrendous problems in under 6 min, etc. Trying daily to keep the job and working through these many things is a struggle to say the least.
            Just when I think it can't get worse they come up with some new way of torturing the entire sales staff. Of late they have taken to installing and using a P.A. system having clerks and managers calling out every time someone is late from break or lunch, announcing on the hour how many sales the office needs to stay number 1, this is done loudly and interferes with doing the job effectively. Sometimes customers ask about what they are saying. It it my contention that it is un-proffessional and demeaning to everyone within ear shot...it makes the office sound like K-mart or Walmart and customers question anything you are saying when they hear someone loudly saying ...WE NEED LONG DISTANCE AND DSL COME ON TEAM GET WITH IT! It also sends the message to each and every employee that says we are nothing and management can say or do anything they **** well please and the rest of us have no choice but to take it or quit.
            My question is this, if abuse is against the law in families and schools, why don't those laws apply to abusive employers? Is there anything that can be done about this.? It is as bad as a constant drip on one's head day in and day out, I leave there with headaches everyday due to the noise and the flashing they have rigged in the system that brings up the customers phone number. When I went to a mgr about this I was told disgustingly that what I want doesn't count and perhaps this isn't the job for me. This person was hateful and mean when it was said like they were taunting me and daring me to do anything about it. When I went to the union the steward told me that if I file a grievance about this incident to watch my back because that mgr will be out to get me ....? What can I do about this, I have retirement in 7 years and am too old to look for another job...please help
            It's horrible. All day you're bombarded with shouting / yelling about how many sales you need, how many cell phones, how many DSL, how many DirecTV ... how your team ranks vs. other teams in the office. This may be over the loudspeaker -- it may be your manager or any manager simply walking around yelling these statements out across the floor -- or it may even involve a manager walking around the office yelling through a BULLHORN. Yes, a bullhorn in a call center. All of this is going on while you're talking to CUSTOMERS.

Also, our office (also in FL) strongly promotes loud music being played all day. Managers will walk around and state that it's too quiet and they'll turn on various boom boxes strategically placed throughout the office and the volume will be turned up so loud you have to strain to hear your customers, much less make sense out of what they're saying. It is so noisy you can barely think.

I have never worked in an atmosphere where you treated in such a demeaning way and it is sad, because it really shouldn't have to be that way.

I have tried earplugs, white nose CDs and loud fans to drown out the noise... so far nothing has worked -- and I too leave the office with headaches -- in fact, the thought of GOING into the office sometimes stresses me out so bad my head will start hurting.

It's not the job, it's not the customers... it's not the sales (quotas). Its the atmosphere created by the managers.

And I agree with the first poster about it being ABUSE.

Comment

You have not asked a legal question. However, your calling it abuse does not mean that the law agrees.

Nothing you descrive is illegal or gives you any legal recourse. Your option is to find a job with an environment you find more to your liking.

I am not unsympathetic, but nothing you have described violates any laws.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X